Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1569335 times)

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3255 on: January 31, 2011, 01:33:00 am »

This release schedule is really good. I mean, I don't play adventure mode so the big thing I'm waiting for (Inns) will take a while, but I love knowing what order everything is in.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: January 31, 2011, 01:52:22 am »

This release schedule is really good. I mean, I don't play adventure mode so the big thing I'm waiting for (Inns) will take a while, but I love knowing what order everything is in.

And don't forget those are just the tip of the iceberg... each of those releases are coming along with bug fixes.  So there's more to look forward to than just what is listed.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 01:54:20 am by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: January 31, 2011, 02:03:16 am »

Has there been any word on how the caravan arc will impact the dwarven economy portion of fortress mode?  Will minting coin have relevance now?

I only ask because I had to wonder how merchants and travelers will pay for their rooms at The Inn of the Prancing Skinless Moose after update 4... If "dwarf mode inns" means what I think it means.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Festin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: January 31, 2011, 03:57:56 am »

Inns in Dwarf Mode are great news. Finally merchants and diplomats will have somewhere to stay while waiting for mayor/broker.

Visiting an inn will probably generate a special happy thought. Also, this can be a nice use for mugs. New stuff like clay and mead fits nicely.

An obvious question:
Will we have tavern brawls in the dwarf mode?

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: January 31, 2011, 04:10:07 am »

An obvious question:
Will we have tavern brawls in the dwarf mode?

I will make a room, locked with a levered door, opening directly into the tavern. I will keep my hammerer locked inside of it. Just in case!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3260 on: January 31, 2011, 04:24:02 am »

So, 3d mineral veins, eh?

Now, THAT sounds interesting, and here is my thinly veiled ... question: Will we be able to define "empty space" mineral?

I am aiming at ability to mod in gigantic geodes (cluster of empty space within cluster of amethyst) as well as "mini caverns", cracks and small openings.

Pirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: January 31, 2011, 05:41:11 am »

I like the idea of separating combat speed from movement. Because I'm lying on the ground doesn't mean I can't swing my axe like crazy :)

Other stuff's fun too. Keep it up guys.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: January 31, 2011, 06:11:42 am »

Has there been any word on how the caravan arc will impact the dwarven economy portion of fortress mode?  Will minting coin have relevance now?

I only ask because I had to wonder how merchants and travelers will pay for their rooms at The Inn of the Prancing Skinless Moose after update 4... If "dwarf mode inns" means what I think it means.

No, but something like this may come in Update 6. Though  recall the major issue with the coins, is with how their stacked, a prevalent design issue with a lot of small items.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: January 31, 2011, 06:48:09 am »

No, but something like this may come in Update 6. Though  recall the major issue with the coins, is with how their stacked, a prevalent design issue with a lot of small items.

Traders could at least abstract their payment to The Inn of the Prancing Skinless Moose in the trade screen. Say if you had an exceptional inn with quality food and a wide selection of intoxicants you would find your trade starting off with a certain trader profit to account for the "coin" they spent at your inn. Or maybe a legendary inn could at least give you more favorable trade rolls when offering the traders a less favorable deal.

Edit: Likewise, travelers (i.e. adventurers) might be more willing to do quests for your Fortress, and demand a less valuable reward, if your inn is really kick ass. That is assuming adventurers will someday be able to do quests for your fort; An idea I remember kicking around in a suggestion thread circa '08. At least a super rad inn might bring more noteworthy travelers to stop in and pretty the place up a bit, maybe challenge the hammerer to an arm wrestling contest; If you're brave enough to let Hammerer out of his/her cage for a spell.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 06:54:25 am by slMagnvox »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: January 31, 2011, 06:51:14 am »

and the king could bitch around moaning for the inn rooms more valuable than his own.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: January 31, 2011, 08:06:29 am »

Or the hammerer could get into fights with the Inn's patrons.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: January 31, 2011, 08:45:51 am »

I know that interspecies breeding will eventually be possible, making for something like half-elves as well as just mules, but that's just being put off for now, but it's a little odd that dwarves and humans can't even be friends, much less dwarves and some of the cool hybrid critterpeoples like sharkmen.  Likewise, humans or other people who somehow become part of dwarven society can't be assigned labors or assigned rooms without hacks.

I'm sure we won't have full interspecies breeding capabilities, although give me half a chance, and I'm interbreeding dwarves with GCS in a heartbeat.

I think they've talked before about better supporting interracial settlements, though I'm sure you've heard of dwarves ending up with elven monarchs at least, so it's not entirely segregated. Also I think the "enemy" mechanics are based on civilization rather than race, so nobody's racist in that sense (i.e., if your dwarves at war with one elven civilization then they can still be on good terms with others, though that's theoretical since I think a fortress only has contact with a single civilization of each race).

Not going to be part of the introduction of eggs, however, as far as I'm aware.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: January 31, 2011, 09:08:02 am »

I like the idea of separating combat speed from movement. Because I'm lying on the ground doesn't mean I can't swing my axe like crazy :)

Other stuff's fun too. Keep it up guys.

I don't! That means I can't cut off peoples' feet to make them attack me slower! ;)
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: January 31, 2011, 09:47:58 am »

I'm curious why people assume inter-species breeding would be possible. This rarely works out very well in nature, usually resulting in sterile mutants. Unless people are suggesting that dwarves and elves and goblins are actually all different races of the same species? (seems unlikely, considering half of them are immortal)

Unless of course we're assuming a Wizard Did It, and in the DF world inter-species romance brings about perfectly viable half-and-half offspring. And thus Tigermen were born...

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: January 31, 2011, 10:36:52 am »

Not sure if there is convention one way or the other on the race vs. species question across the fantasy genre, but at least in Tolkien they are referred to as races (and can be read as fantastical versions of real races with, e.g., dwarves standing for Jews) and able to interbreed.
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 342