Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1572399 times)

ribosom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3615 on: February 16, 2011, 06:31:32 am »

Not a good idea if he wants to avoid his ass sued off by a jerk. Not that most people would sue him, but there is always the possibility.

lolwut?

You mean heŽll sue because Toady stole an idea that was posted in the SUGGESTIONS FOR THE GAME forum? And that some judge would find that in favor of him?

This is the most ridiculous thing IŽve heard in a long time.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: February 16, 2011, 06:41:32 am »

So maybe only first type of response?

It would give the proof of aknowledgment of the suggestion anyway.

lolwut?

You mean heŽll sue because Toady stole an idea that was posted in the SUGGESTIONS FOR THE GAME forum? And that some judge would find that in favor of him?

This is the most ridiculous thing IŽve heard in a long time.

I never said some judge would find that in favour of him. And there isn't any kind of contract you sign on suggestions forum giving the rights of your ideas to Toady.

Most certainly Toady would won, but this doesn't mean someone wouldn't want to try. And though Toady doesn't make the kind of money people would find worthy of a sue, you never know the future.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:53:59 am by thvaz »

ribosom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: February 16, 2011, 06:56:31 am »

I never said some judge would find that in favour of him. Please work on your reading.
Though most certainly Toady would won, this doesn't mean someone wouldn't want to try. You have to remember Toady lives in the US.

Right you didnŽt. No offense, mate, it just is really ridiculous.
Is there a case where something like that actually happened?

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: February 16, 2011, 07:02:23 am »

I'm sensing some frustration here.  Personally, I'd prefer that Toady spends more time coding and less time moderating, giving feedback on suggestions in the form of features rather than more plans.  He has a lot of plans . . . a surfeit, in fact--so many that really once the game is done, no one who plays it is going to be like, "Damn it, if it just had this one thing it would be perfect!"

I'll even play it if it ends up that there can be no functional sewers.

I agree with Kohaku, though, that certain haunters of the suggestions forum (in the past at least--I don't go there regularly anymore) are pretty off-puttingly cranky, ruling the threads therein with the iron snark of tyranny.  There should be a super-secret-double-suggestions forum for them, where they can huddle together and stew in their snide superiority, leaving the escaped lunatics to their fun :P

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: February 16, 2011, 07:12:06 am »

No, I don't know any case, but the United States are infamous for this kind of ridiculous litigations, and I think Toady is very right on being cautious as he is.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: February 16, 2011, 07:24:12 am »

Litigation  :-[ For using suggestion from forum used to post suggestions? WTF, even US/EU law is not so stupid.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

ribosom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: February 16, 2011, 07:33:16 am »

No, I don't know any case, but the United States are infamous for this kind of ridiculous litigations, and I think Toady is very right on being cautious as he is.

Maybe youŽre right. I was really astonished when I heard for the first time why the americans have those 'Caution Hot Coffee' stickers on cups, or 'Caution XXX' on freakin' everything.
But I digress... ;)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: February 16, 2011, 07:58:27 am »

Anyone who tried such a lawsuit would be charged punitve damages and thrown out of court, if not jailed for contempt. Judges don't like actually stupid lawsuits any more than you do. (Most touted "stupid lawsuits" really aren't. For example, the famous coffee case involved coffee hot enough to couse second-degree burns to the woman in question.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: February 16, 2011, 08:12:40 am »

Maybe youŽre right. I was really astonished when I heard for the first time why the americans have those 'Caution Hot Coffee' stickers on cups, or 'Caution XXX' on freakin' everything.

The US has relatively weak consumer protection laws in general, so the accessibility of our civil courts sort of serves as a stop-gap. Not necessarily the most efficient way of doing things, but not completely pointless.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: February 16, 2011, 08:16:14 am »

The US has relatively weak consumer protection laws in general, so the accessibility of our civil courts sort of serves as a stop-gap. Not necessarily the most efficient way of doing things, but not completely pointless.

Except that it costs so much money and is so difficult to actually win a case that they're pretty much always settled out-of-court. You can't really win.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: February 16, 2011, 09:56:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Politics in large quantities are fatal to threads  ;)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: February 16, 2011, 09:59:38 am »

Yea there are folks that sue just for the sake of getting money and screw the other guy, and generally the ones that do happen are settled out of court. And then even after all that I imagine they arent very well liked by the local buisnesses anymore if the word gets out.   

I heard some kid at Disney burned himself on some nacho cheese because he was eating it too quickly or something.  Then the parents decided to sue.  Because the cheese was hot...no shit Sherlock, it's nacho cheese, if it wasn't hot it would be....a lump of cheese....well it wouldn't be nacho cheese at any rate.

But more or less on topic, I don't really think Toady's worried about lawsuits.  Our civil courts aren't quite that nuts.  And even if somebody did try to sue for money from a suggestion forum suggestion they would have a hard time getting a lawyer for it.  They aren't cheap even when they are pretty sure they will win, let alone when a loss is almost assured.  Toady's probably just too busy.

P.S. TolyK ninjad me with an anti-politics post.  I blame society.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: February 16, 2011, 10:04:44 am »

not exactly anti-politics, but more "keep to the respective thread".
we don't want
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
do we?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: February 16, 2011, 10:09:08 am »

Now that there's a new release, we can talk about that instead!

I love troll-wool and evil grasses. On the other hand, I'm also afraid that this continues the trend of "everybody has all of the same stuff, except flavored differently" (e.g. dwarves get trees except they're fungus now, and grass except they're fungus now, and farming except... it's, well, fungus now, etc.) whereas I'd prefer to see more substantial distinction in that regard. That being said, both types of development can be good and make sense to a reasonable degree, and troll wool is freaking great.

I'm starting the first one to two week bug fix cycle now, so there weren't a lot of bug fixes for this release, but creatures, items and vegetation don't pick up as many contaminants now.

I'm just hoping this doesn't mean that those one to two weeks will be the entirety of the bug-fixing. I was under the impression a more thorough effort was planned for the near future, and I hope that's still the case, since the game could really use some cleaning up in a few areas before moving on to new ones.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: February 16, 2011, 10:15:20 am »

*Embarks in Evil Biome*

Eyeballs.  Okay... that's a little, uh... eyeballs.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 342