Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1572238 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3870 on: February 28, 2011, 12:07:11 pm »

In my last generated world two megabeasts were killed by elves...and both of them came back due to the bug.

Why megabeasts doesn't reproduce yet? I thought Dragons and hydras were waiting for eggs. Do you plan to change this soon?

It sounds like it's already in:

Quote from: KillerClowns
How will inherently lonely megabeasts find mates?  Will other megabeasts reproduce?  And will FBs and titans be able to inherit egg laying?

Until critters move around on the world map, which is coming but isn't here yet, we just have megabeast reproduction in world gen and eggs sitting around that ostensibly come around from whatever.  I don't know that titans or FBs will ever lay eggs as a matter of course, because we don't really have an explanation for what they are or what their continuing role in the world is.

Are you sure they aren't reproducing?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: February 28, 2011, 12:20:13 pm »

In my last generated world two megabeasts were killed by elves...and both of them came back due to the bug.

Why megabeasts doesn't reproduce yet? I thought Dragons and hydras were waiting for eggs. Do you plan to change this soon?

It sounds like it's already in:

Quote from: KillerClowns
How will inherently lonely megabeasts find mates?  Will other megabeasts reproduce?  And will FBs and titans be able to inherit egg laying?

Until critters move around on the world map, which is coming but isn't here yet, we just have megabeast reproduction in world gen and eggs sitting around that ostensibly come around from whatever.  I don't know that titans or FBs will ever lay eggs as a matter of course, because we don't really have an explanation for what they are or what their continuing role in the world is.

Are you sure they aren't reproducing?

I didn't see anyone talking about it and didn't see in the worlds I generated. I asked about because of this specific answer. Maybe they reproduce in play but not in world gen, then.

randompeep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: February 28, 2011, 07:03:37 pm »

Typically, goblins and kobolds are the first mooks to a greater enemy. Now I know that there are demons clowns that are the supposed villains, but there is a big jump there. Will there ever be an evil race in between the two extremes, such as Orcs?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: February 28, 2011, 07:41:21 pm »

Or elite goblin marksmen? (Or elite trolls in steel armor, help us all...)

I, personally, don't want to see Toady recreating Warcraft, here, and think that we don't need to have a set of "good" and "evil" ranked bunch of opponents.  Especially when the two sides mirror each other so fiercely that the term "evil" is only superficially different from "good", and may as well be described as a battle between the forces of "green skin" versus "hairy people".
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: February 28, 2011, 09:07:17 pm »

It's in, just SUPER rare.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78588.0
where is up?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: February 28, 2011, 09:42:51 pm »

I, personally, don't want to see Toady recreating Warcraft, here, and think that we don't need to have a set of "good" and "evil" ranked bunch of opponents.  Especially when the two sides mirror each other so fiercely that the term "evil" is only superficially different from "good", and may as well be described as a battle between the forces of "green skin" versus "hairy people".

And here I thought the horde was where I fit in.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: February 28, 2011, 11:23:00 pm »

I'm with you.  It might cool if the game organically created some form of progression (like early on you only fight the closest enemy civs, which usually have two or three towers and rely on hide and copper, but eventually you may become wealthy enough to attract the attention of the five-hundred-pount, bronze-armored gorilla halfway across the map.  But threats abroad should be at most balanced with those from below and within.
I, personally, don't want to see Toady recreating Warcraft, here, and think that we don't need to have a set of "good" and "evil" ranked bunch of opponents. 
Plus, no one will ever convince me that orc isn't just a word for particularly large goblin.  8)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: February 28, 2011, 11:59:42 pm »

I'm with you.  It might cool if the game organically created some form of progression (like early on you only fight the closest enemy civs, which usually have two or three towers and rely on hide and copper, but eventually you may become wealthy enough to attract the attention of the five-hundred-pount, bronze-armored gorilla halfway across the map. 

This'd be especially awesome if 'civ threat level' was a map layer on the embark screen.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: March 01, 2011, 01:23:21 am »

I'm with you.  It might cool if the game organically created some form of progression (like early on you only fight the closest enemy civs, which usually have two or three towers and rely on hide and copper, but eventually you may become wealthy enough to attract the attention of the five-hundred-pount, bronze-armored gorilla halfway across the map.  But threats abroad should be at most balanced with those from below and within.
I, personally, don't want to see Toady recreating Warcraft, here, and think that we don't need to have a set of "good" and "evil" ranked bunch of opponents. 
Plus, no one will ever convince me that orc isn't just a word for particularly large goblin.  8)

Any form of progression is too gamey. If you manage to settle besides goblins with many legendary goblins, you should be screwed.

This'd be especially awesome if 'civ threat level' was a map layer on the embark screen.

This one is a good enough suggestion.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: March 01, 2011, 03:23:37 am »

Do people actually reach legendary in world generation now?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: March 01, 2011, 03:51:53 am »

Do people actually reach legendary in world generation now?

If my immigrant is any indication. No. The highest I've gotten is Grand Master. I think its grand master. Whatever the skill level right below Legendary is.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3882 on: March 01, 2011, 04:42:32 am »

IIRC, i did get legendary immigrant (some fairly useless skill...) and heard other people claiming they got some too.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: March 01, 2011, 05:32:36 am »

I've had some pretty awesome legendary immigrants. Even a metalsmith. It happens.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: March 01, 2011, 05:48:14 am »

DF 0.31.20 now contains more fixes than any other 0.31.* version (according to the bug tracker). Go toady!
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 342