Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1569316 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3975 on: March 09, 2011, 02:31:47 pm »

Quote from: dev log
fixed problem causing attacks to occur through multiple z levels

Well, now my way to rush down stairs at random won't work any more.  I hope.  I'll have to make a test fort to determine.

As a note, if that is the bug I think it is, you could change z-levels by charging at things.  I think, to some extent, the problem evaporated when manual aiming was implemented, but now I want to test to find out.

To the fortress!
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: March 09, 2011, 02:49:25 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
# fixed problems with glass material properties

Holy crap! Could it be that random glass material properties are no more!?! Consistent glass traps here I come!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #3977 on: March 09, 2011, 03:13:21 pm »

I also thought the moody dwarves vs magma buildings was a 'feature', the bug being it happening without access to magma. They are moody.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: March 09, 2011, 04:41:13 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
cleaned up some wood/metal etc. issues in stockpile settings

The metals category no longer includes every type of stone and wood in the game?  Nice.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: March 09, 2011, 10:18:09 pm »

I'm pretty sure there is. When you highlight a dwarf in that menu it tells you what squad he's in.

I can't even begin to describe how foolish I feel at this point.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: March 09, 2011, 10:38:46 pm »

I'm pretty sure there is. When you highlight a dwarf in that menu it tells you what squad he's in.

Don't feel too bad, I had never noticed that either. And I thought I had a pretty good handle on the military screen!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3981 on: March 10, 2011, 02:08:42 am »

Don't feel too bad, I had never noticed that either. And I thought I had a pretty good handle on the military screen!

I'd still feel bad, but for ui.

Dwarves assigned to military/guards should disappear from "recruit pool" list to unclutter it. Mot of the time, you do not want to reassign dwarves between squads but rather assign fresh recruits to new squad/fill holes in older squads.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: March 10, 2011, 09:20:26 am »

I actually shuffle my squads quite a lot, especially if I have weapon-specific squads, but then want to make a combined-arms squad to deal with general threats.  Or if I have my fortress guard armed with wooden swords for day-to-day work (so they don't slaughter the guys they beat) but then want them moved to a real squad with real swords for when actual slaughter is appropriate.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: March 10, 2011, 10:56:55 am »

I actually shuffle my squads quite a lot, especially if I have weapon-specific squads, but then want to make a combined-arms squad to deal with general threats.  Or if I have my fortress guard armed with wooden swords for day-to-day work (so they don't slaughter the guys they beat) but then want them moved to a real squad with real swords for when actual slaughter is appropriate.
ditto
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: March 10, 2011, 01:40:18 pm »

It might be more clear if dwarves already assigned to a squad are listed in a different colour. Maybe someone should suggest that.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: March 10, 2011, 03:42:21 pm »

It might be more clear if dwarves already assigned to a squad are listed in a different colour. Maybe someone should suggest that.

Maybe... someone that thought of it?

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: March 10, 2011, 04:34:34 pm »

Also, they could be shuffled to the bottom of the list.  Perhaps even an option to show them in order, hide them or put them at the bottom of the list.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: March 10, 2011, 04:40:38 pm »

Quote from: dev log
fixed problem causing attacks to occur through multiple z levels

Well, now my way to rush down stairs at random won't work any more.  I hope.  I'll have to make a test fort to determine.

As a note, if that is the bug I think it is, you could change z-levels by charging at things.  I think, to some extent, the problem evaporated when manual aiming was implemented, but now I want to test to find out.

To the fortress!

Nope. You could manually aim at demons in Hell. (Which I will miss immensely).
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: March 11, 2011, 03:40:46 am »

Also, they could be shuffled to the bottom of the list.  Perhaps even an option to show them in order, hide them or put them at the bottom of the list.

Like the Nobles, which are listed in order of qualification of the position?

Listing warriors in order of XP points in specific weaponskill>>general combat skills.

I rather like that recruits are listed in order of appearance though.
Makes it easier to find favored skilled soldiers and especially handy in finding those immigrant recruits.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: March 11, 2011, 08:59:22 am »

Like the Nobles, which are listed in order of qualification of the position?

Listing warriors in order of XP points in specific weaponskill>>general combat skills.

I rather like that recruits are listed in order of appearance though.
Makes it easier to find favored skilled soldiers and especially handy in finding those immigrant recruits.

Agreed, although that may be an artifact of the unfamiliar names.

There's no reason not to have a (c)ull existing squad members or (s)ort differently option.

Colors may be the quick and dirty, pre-UI arc, answer.
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 342