Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1572289 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4110 on: March 22, 2011, 09:46:53 pm »

So when items are tracked, the goblins that come to invade are going to run out of gear before they run out of goblins, and the sieges are going to go all _enemy_at_the_gates_?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: March 22, 2011, 10:03:58 pm »

Are there any plans for an in-fortress economy in the near future (I mean as part of the next few updates)? It's not specifically mentioned on the list but seeing as this is the "caravan arc", i though might be hidden under a larger goal.

What I mean - you've scratched the old economy so any plans to replace it? Some kind of in-fortress supply/demand system? Buying/selling? A notion of collective/personal ownership? I suppose the answer is no because it sounds like a great deal of work... but then there are the fortress inns that would suggest some kind of fortress-mode economy.

I was just wondering about this too, though I think it may have been mentioned.  Since goods are supposed to change in value over the world based on how common they are, will that be in play in fortress mode too?  Will dwarves be able to sell things they own in order to make money to buy other things that they may want more?  There's a lot that could be done, and I'm interested in hearing what might be planned.  I hope that the economy in fortress mode isn't perfectly stable within the fortress.  That would be boring.

Oh, and as for all the talk about complaints, "They" is a rather generic term.  People have been complaining about the lack of bugfixes for awhile, and may still complain about certain ones that haven't been fixed.  And the complaints were getting more and more common as more updates came out with new content but no new fixes.  But with the schedule of fixing both new and old bugs in between releases, at least for awhile, I really doubt that "they" will be complaining.  As for the people who said that new content was more important than bug fixes, I doubt "they" will complain about getting problems fixed when new content is planned fairly regularly too.  But if somebody does complain, I doubt they will, when they are specifically the people complaining about not enough bugfixes.  I may be ranting a little though, I read a thread last night on minecraft where somebody was basically saying you aren't allowed to say the creator needs to fix bugs when the game is still in development, even though that's when bugs really need to be worked out.  Point is, the people who are complaining about things are real people who have a legitimate right to voice their concerns, even if they aren't the same as the majority.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: March 22, 2011, 10:49:00 pm »

Regarding the bugfixing, some of these bugs getting fixed is almost like getting a new feature; the hospital fix in particular is like everything suddenly being right in the world.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: March 22, 2011, 10:56:28 pm »

I never had any trouble with the hospital, but I guess I'll have even less trouble now.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: March 23, 2011, 12:42:15 am »

They will now complain as why it wasn't fixed earlier. Or complain about bugs not fixed this time.

Or about the possible bugs that are not even in the game yet.  ::)

These are the non-existent bugs that I want fixed with version .24:
  • Cats have started adopting each other
  • Deconstructing the wagon causes a deceased wagon to appear in the unit list. If you don't erect a slab to its memory, a ghost wagon will haunt your booze stockpile and occasionally run over hapless dwarves
  • My baron enacted a mandate for a porcelain anvil
  • My one-legged dwarf has claimed and is using eight crutches simultaneously
  • A goblin snatcher placed a baby in a screw press. (The elf caravan paid handsomely for the resultant babycakes.)
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: March 23, 2011, 01:21:21 am »

Oh, and as for all the talk about complaints, "They" is a rather generic term.  People have been complaining about the lack of bugfixes for awhile, and may still complain about certain ones that haven't been fixed.  And the complaints were getting more and more common as more updates came out with new content but no new fixes.  But with the schedule of fixing both new and old bugs in between releases, at least for awhile, I really doubt that "they" will be complaining.  As for the people who said that new content was more important than bug fixes, I doubt "they" will complain about getting problems fixed when new content is planned fairly regularly too.  But if somebody does complain, I doubt they will, when they are specifically the people complaining about not enough bugfixes.  I may be ranting a little though, I read a thread last night on minecraft where somebody was basically saying you aren't allowed to say the creator needs to fix bugs when the game is still in development, even though that's when bugs really need to be worked out.  Point is, the people who are complaining about things are real people who have a legitimate right to voice their concerns, even if they aren't the same as the majority.
I wasn't meaning to imply that bug fixes aren't a necessary part of development; only that bug fixing was already scheduled, so complaining about it was moot. 

Also, most of the most recent "features" grew out of Toady trying to fix adventure mode, which was completely broken beyond belief and needed to be made playable again before the last few fortress mode bugs got sorted.  Prior to that, Toady was on crashbug-patrol for something like 5 months straight.  Bugfixing has always been a major part of DF development so people just... don't need to get worried.
where is up?

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: March 23, 2011, 02:01:58 am »

One of the first things I'm going to do in the next release is give Dwarves an extra pair of legs and arms, then get a bunch of them lopped off and see what happens.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: March 23, 2011, 02:50:29 am »

And the complaints were getting more and more common as more updates came out with new content but no new fixes. 

Thats false, each of the release this year and last after the initial .31 release has had bug fixes. With an average of 18 or so per release.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:30:22 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: March 23, 2011, 03:06:34 am »

One of the first things I'm going to do in the next release is give Dwarves an extra pair of legs and arms, then get a bunch of them lopped off and see what happens.
That IS an interresting experiment!
Will the octopedal spiderdwarf who finds himself suddenly being a biped crawl, or will he instantly learn to balance on two legs?
Keep us posted. :)

edit: bonuspoints for giving him a web attack.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: March 23, 2011, 10:14:17 am »

A creature that has lost half its [STANCE] body parts, which is to say, "legs," can no longer stand. That's the way it works in adventurer mode anyway, and I don't see why fortress mode would be different, in that respect. Crutches add an interesting wildcard, of course, so it's still a worthy experiment.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: March 23, 2011, 04:43:37 pm »

And the complaints were getting more and more common as more updates came out with new content but no new fixes. 

Thats false, each of the release this year and last after the initial .31 release has had bug fixes. With an average of 18 or so per release.

Yeah, I completely forgot that like, every other update was almost exclusively bug-fixing.  I don't know how, since I always waited for the bug-patches to get an update.  But it did seem to me like people were getting more vocal over time, and I'm pretty sure that was just because the hospital bugs staying out of every patch was bugging lots of people.  I expect things to die down a little bit for a little while.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: March 23, 2011, 05:00:46 pm »

It will be interesting to see bugs caused by bugfix release.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: March 23, 2011, 05:13:47 pm »

Well somehow the Number of fxed Bugs keeps jumping. This morning (for me) it was 56 and now its back to 49.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: March 23, 2011, 05:19:35 pm »

Well somehow the Number of fxed Bugs keeps jumping. This morning (for me) it was 56 and now its back to 49.

I changed the resolution of several redundant bugs from "fixed" to "duplicate" so that the changelog would only contain unique fixes.  Don't want to look like we're padding our numbers.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: March 23, 2011, 06:29:14 pm »

Deconstructing the wagon causes a deceased wagon to appear in the unit list. If you don't erect a slab to its memory, a ghost wagon will haunt your booze stockpile and occasionally run over hapless dwarves

Funny, but I don't think that this game needs anything from Toejam and Earl.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 342