Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1569338 times)

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4200 on: March 30, 2011, 06:07:18 am »

Anyway, I can't come up with good proof of it, but I recall Toady saying something else that gave an impression of having dwarves that would be willing to just up and leave for the hills in the villages around your fort if there were no rooms left or it was too expensive or the economy was bad and they couldn't get a job.

I can't remember or find where either, but also remember that being said or implied as something that would eventually happen.  I do have a vague feeling it was sometime during the long interval prior to the 0.31 release cycle though.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: March 30, 2011, 01:54:44 pm »

Anyway, I can't come up with good proof of it, but I recall Toady saying something else that gave an impression of having dwarves that would be willing to just up and leave for the hills in the villages around your fort if there were no rooms left or it was too expensive or the economy was bad and they couldn't get a job.

I can't remember or find where either, but also remember that being said or implied as something that would eventually happen.  I do have a vague feeling it was sometime during the long interval prior to the 0.31 release cycle though.

I remember asking Toady about that about 240 pages ago:

Quote from: Beardless
are you saying that dwarfs may emigrate to the sprawl if fortress housing prices are too high? More broadly, what are your plans for emigration during fortress mode in general?

If fortress housing prices are too high for everybody, they should be lowered.  If they are too high just for few dwarves, then yeah, if an affected dwarf has some way/place to survive out in the world and nothing keeping them in the fort then they should leave.  In general, a dwarf seeing better opportunity or lack of death elsewhere should go when practical -- some of your initial dwarves especially might feel more bound by loyalty, depending on the start scenario.  A start scenario oriented around a temple or something might see many of the dwarves refusing to leave under any circumstances.  Overall, the emigration mechanics shouldn't have them squirting out of your fort at the drop of a hat, since it would often be a hard journey with an uncertain future, but you should have to work a bit to keep them.

My interpretation was that it would vary from dwarf to dwarf, but it would most likely not be "at the drop of a hat." (Which was disappointing, but realistic.) This was also a long time ago, so Toady's plans may have evolved since then.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: March 30, 2011, 08:51:07 pm »

I remember asking Toady about that about 240 pages ago:

Quote from: Beardless
are you saying that dwarfs may emigrate to the sprawl if fortress housing prices are too high? More broadly, what are your plans for emigration during fortress mode in general?

If fortress housing prices are too high for everybody, they should be lowered.  If they are too high just for few dwarves, then yeah, if an affected dwarf has some way/place to survive out in the world and nothing keeping them in the fort then they should leave.  In general, a dwarf seeing better opportunity or lack of death elsewhere should go when practical -- some of your initial dwarves especially might feel more bound by loyalty, depending on the start scenario.  A start scenario oriented around a temple or something might see many of the dwarves refusing to leave under any circumstances.  Overall, the emigration mechanics shouldn't have them squirting out of your fort at the drop of a hat, since it would often be a hard journey with an uncertain future, but you should have to work a bit to keep them.

My interpretation was that it would vary from dwarf to dwarf, but it would most likely not be "at the drop of a hat." (Which was disappointing, but realistic.) This was also a long time ago, so Toady's plans may have evolved since then.

Ah, there it is.  It's so much easier to search for these things when you were the one asking the question. (I remember the terms I use for things, but can't necessarily remember the terms other people called the same thing to search for them.) :P

Anyway, that's a good quote to keep onto, especially if I go back into the class warfare or dwarven autonomy stuff.  I'd better copy it somewhere...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: April 01, 2011, 01:58:49 pm »

This month looks to be very exciting.  I'm looking forward to the city layouts and watching how Toady develops it.  Being able to have adventures just within a city sounds very cool and reminds me of the many fantasy novels I've read over the years that took place solely (sp) inside a city... usually involving a thief and the guards.  I don't know at what point things will get like that, but the town/city layouts is an exciting start.
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4204 on: April 01, 2011, 02:10:15 pm »

One word. Well, two words.

Ankh-morpork
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:00:18 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: April 01, 2011, 02:49:23 pm »

The towns looks huge on the travel map. Can't wait to see them properly done in adventure mode.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: April 01, 2011, 04:10:40 pm »

I cant wait to see big citys like Rome or Constantinople emerging from the bigger empires hopefully they include also stuff like viaducts and canalisations (Not to mention piping for proper fountains) at some point. I just hope the building stuff gets more Procedural in terms of style and design - i would like if we could visit a fucking huge cathedral or something that equals the Hagia sophia. On the Other hand some overrun Slums with a mace of shacks, bordellos and slavemarkets would be welcome as well. Also wooooo pictures!
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: April 01, 2011, 04:29:24 pm »

I cant wait to see big citys like Rome or Constantinople emerging from the bigger empires hopefully they include also stuff like viaducts and canalisations (Not to mention piping for proper fountains) at some point. I just hope the building stuff gets more Procedural in terms of style and design - i would like if we could visit a fucking huge cathedral or something that equals the Hagia sophia. On the Other hand some overrun Slums with a mace of shacks, bordellos and slavemarkets would be welcome as well. Also wooooo pictures!

And walls and ports and palaces and manors! I want to see guettos full of goblins and elves. Slave markets! A proper city the size of Rome needs a sewer system, full of rats and rodent man.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: April 01, 2011, 04:36:20 pm »

hehe and these rats need to have flees that may or may not transmit the plague.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: April 01, 2011, 04:44:28 pm »

Giant plague rats whole populations of fleamen living on their backs.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: April 01, 2011, 05:09:11 pm »

Actually 2 or 3 of them riding on a "giant" rat would be feaseable if they are small enough, say not much more then knee high. Make up some rat-herds and you get a nomadic civ right below the bigger towns and maybe expanding to the caverns. Middlesized and Big citys could be for the entirety of the cavern dwellers like an oasis in the desert.

Given that people flush almost everything a big city will provide foot and fertilisizer in such quantitys that caverns below them could turn into very lush Forrests.

Hehe cant wait for red eyed rodent man to say stuff like "The city is the spice and the Giant Rant."

Proud to be a Furry.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: April 02, 2011, 01:35:22 pm »

Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine what the adventurer could possibly be thinking as he approaches the great stone walls of the city, stretching as far as he can see.  Once inside, men and beasts fill the streets.  He finds himself in a great wooden canyon of stores and shop fronts, all with signs advertising their wares.  You should now begin to see the possibilities.  Cities are so big you could have as many adventures as before without having to ever leave the city gates.  But first the cities must be built and this is but the first stage from which to leap off into glory.

I'm looking forward to seeing what cities look like architecturally, as well as the other site types once they get added. 

What kinds of structures and buildings do you think you will be adding to make cities happen?  Will they be the same square buildings from before, or can we expect something as interesting as the generated castles? 

Have any player-built structures inspired worldgen building models?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 06:18:37 pm by Caldfir »
where is up?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: April 02, 2011, 02:10:23 pm »

What kinds of structures and buildings do you think you will be adding to make cities happen?  Will they be the same square buildings from before, or can we expect something as interesting as the generated castles?

Emphasis mine:

04/01/2011: [...] This month we will be creating new cities with development pictures upcoming.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: April 02, 2011, 05:21:09 pm »

Well and a first test implementation of the "army arc" (including pictures) can be found here.

Joke aside, i wonder if towns layouts, building styles etc. get rawified in some way or another. Now would be the perfect opportunity for that. I also hope that the buildingstyles are in some way procedural but it may be to early to ask that.

Proud to be a Furry.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: April 02, 2011, 07:09:37 pm »

Emphasis mine:

04/01/2011: [...] This month we will be creating new cities with development pictures upcoming.

I had intended the question to be a little broader than just the dev_next city stuff, as sort of an open-ended thing, but I guess Foot is right; once there are some screens posted, that will answer questions about the immediately upcoming items, and Toady's answer to something broader would likely be something generic like; "oh, lots of cool and interesting stuff" on account of the fact that he doesn't have magic future vision. 

Still, I'm excited. 
where is up?
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 342