Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1571974 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4785 on: May 01, 2011, 07:14:09 am »

err..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
CITIES,SEWERS,CATACOMBS AND DUNGEONS?
WOO!

Let the sewers be filled with Giant Cockroaches, Albino Alligators, Werewolves, and Slimes Grimelings!

Hopefully there will be SEWER_LAIR tags for creatures so that we can hide populations of them under cities >:D

Will there be a HAS_SEWER_LAIR or similar tag so that modders can specify that certain creatures like crocodiles or grimelings inhabit sewers?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:24:23 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: May 01, 2011, 07:21:48 am »

Oh man, this is exciting! Just yesterday was I pining for traditional roguelike dungeons in Dwarf Fortress and the call has been answered! These will make cities the most entertaining places of all. :D

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the sewer map is the only one without water?

On that note, I hope that catacombs, sewers, and dungeons are differentiated more in the future, as they appear to be the same thing but with different color blocks. Albeit awesome similar underground dungeons!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: May 01, 2011, 07:29:39 am »

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the sewer map is the only one without water?

I thought so at first. But I think all the maps show a mix of different underground structures (since the two first maps clearly feature sewers of some sort.)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:35:09 am by Appelgren »

metime00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: May 01, 2011, 07:37:44 am »

In which case I think the similarities between everything is amplified. Catacombs should have big tomb rooms and dungeons dungeon-y constructions etc.

Probably too soon to criticize, plus they're awesome regardless. I can't wait to get lost in there and starve to death like in the old caves.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: May 01, 2011, 07:55:56 am »

I think the first map is catacombs and sewers (big tomb rooms aplenty). The second map: dungeons and sewers? Third map?

I like how the sewers only connect to the other underground structures in a few select places.

Jeremy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: May 01, 2011, 08:16:04 am »

I like the multi Z-level rooms. It is a good way to play to the advantages of having a full 3D system, as compared to most Rogue-like's 2D.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: May 01, 2011, 08:21:53 am »

I think the first map is catacombs and sewers (big tomb rooms aplenty). The second map: dungeons and sewers? Third map?

I like how the sewers only connect to the other underground structures in a few select places.

Oh I see that now. The sewers are interspersed in the underground, and the dungeons and catacombs are placed around it. It makes more sense now, with sewers being simply sewers. I hope there's some underwater sections like in the caves, where you have to swim underwater to get somewhere.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: May 01, 2011, 08:28:13 am »

"These creatures can pass on their curse, condemning their victims to a half-life of suffering and dread"

Toady, does this mean we can create zombie viruses in fortress mode?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: May 01, 2011, 09:07:06 am »

The beauty of this thing is that the sewers seem to be are multilevel structures, so that you can get catacombs below the first level. What would be neat would be Floodgates with levers and preasurplate so that not the entire dungeon gets flooded by *caugh* accident. Molds and lichens would make an nice ambiant and maybe somethings that came from below like different caveplants. Hehe to bad we dont have torches at the moment. 

edit: Man i can already see all that little stories of family-members or lovers turning into were-rats and "Phantom of the opera" like stuff.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:09:37 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #4794 on: May 01, 2011, 09:29:04 am »

On the other hand, why exactly would undead attack living beings? Malice and hatred of spirits bound to bodies?

Think of it as the ultimate in delayed "Get off my lawn".

Also, with sewer/catacombs as dense as in the first example, we're going to see caveins a-la: http://www.dep.state.pa.us/MSI/WhatIsMS.html 
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: May 01, 2011, 09:39:32 am »

Let's hope Toady notices this one. I just noticed that he's got "The Mayl '11 Report is up" in the News line up there, while I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be "May".

And while I'm here I just have to ask this question, because it just suddenly dawned on me. How far away, tentatively, is adventurer-enabled mining and constructing? After soaking up several hours of Terraria Let's Plays, I realized that DF is capable of one-upping both Minecraft and Terraria as far as survival and creative building is concerned, lacking only the multiplayer aspect. It could probably boost the playerbase quite a bit, especially with great visualizers like Stonesense.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: May 01, 2011, 09:50:18 am »

Hehe to bad we dont have torches at the moment. 

Can we have torches included in the update,PLEASE?:3
Or are they added later?
I am a Goober.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: May 01, 2011, 09:51:53 am »

How far away, tentatively, is adventurer-enabled mining and constructing?

As usual, unless the feature is directly mentioned in the upcoming releases, nobody can give you a meaningful answer for when it'll be implemented, not even Toady.  It could sneak into release 2, 7, or 9, or it might be even later.  Releases will probably each take at least a month.  So, I would guess between one month and one year from now.

Hehe to bad we dont have torches at the moment. 

Can we have torches included in the update,PLEASE?:3
Or are they added later?

This thread isn't for feature requests, but torches are in the dev notes, so they'll be coming sooner or later:

Quote from: dev
Adventurer Role: Treasure Hunter
# Lighting
    * Proper environmental lighting
    * Construction and use of torches
    * Candles/lamps/lanterns

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: May 01, 2011, 09:52:20 am »

I hope there's some good loot in crypts and the such. Like you visit the crypt of a king and there's steel armor and gold items etc. Maybe awakening the king as a monster as a result of disturbing his stuff (like it hints at in the devlog).
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: May 01, 2011, 10:25:59 am »

How far away, tentatively, is adventurer-enabled mining and constructing?

As usual, unless the feature is directly mentioned in the upcoming releases, nobody can give you a meaningful answer for when it'll be implemented, not even Toady.  It could sneak into release 2, 7, or 9, or it might be even later.  Releases will probably each take at least a month.  So, I would guess between one month and one year from now.
I was rather interested in an in-engine evaluation rather than time, I know it won't be around the bend for a while. Such as, what are the biggest things in the way at the moment. I can guess handling the random small sites is one such thing, since the actual mechanics already exist in Fortress mode.

Oh, and a related question. What is your opinion on a possibility of a waypoint/target-based Adventure mode control system? By this I mean that you would control your adventurer like an AI unit, and the game would use its own pathing engine to move him. For lack of a better comparison, think Diablo. Click/point to a destination, the character walks there. Select an enemy, the character attacks. All done in realtime with autopause, preventing, for example, horrendous control problems from control lag in large cities. This system would also, essentially, allow using Fort mode tasks and constructions more or less as-is. Manual direction-based control would be preserved, of course, to handle situations that the game's pathfinding can't, like jumping, flying, or swimming.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 342