Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 504

Author Topic: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves  (Read 1501165 times)

Urist son of Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Note to Urist--In which you express your frustration to your dwarves
« Reply #225 on: September 15, 2010, 07:43:43 pm »

MEMO
To:  EVERYBODY
RE:  Casualties

It is a matter of policy that horribly mauled dwarves should not, as a matter of course, be left to die of dehydration in the scorching light of the great fiery eye of the day.  This includes poor Urist McAxedwarf, who, while bravely fending off six Goblins, lost his foot.  He then stood in the midst of a field for a while before he finally collapsed and died because nobody thought to bring him some water.

This is especially directed at Urist McWeaponsmith and Urist McManager, who I specifically instructed to direct their care towards the wounded.  In order to discourage further such issues, I have thrown both of the aforementioned dwarves into the training room.  Hilariously, both of them forgot to bring armor.  It was quite fortunate that their fellows were more attentive to their screams inside the fort and that our crack team of MediDwarves was on the spot to sew them up.

Any future cases of abandoning the wounded will see the offenders thrown into the hoary marmot pit.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 15, 2010, 08:08:57 pm »

Dear Urist McMayor, and friends

I understand it was an oversight on my behalf, for setting up that  burrow that said it was safe to be outside in (what was going to be) the future lake entrance to the fort.

I also understand that you and your friends wanted a nice tan, however, the middle of a seige is not a good time to go  tanning; particularly when the hammer dwarfs are flinging the goblins down into the future lake! I assure you there will be time to tan after the seige.. or there would have been had you lived.

Sincerely,
Your benevolent overlord.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 16, 2010, 01:38:43 am »

Dear Elves,

I have dropped all of your diplomats and your traders into my 10 z-level happy fun drop pit for the past 5 years. Declare war already!

p.s. Your wooden crafts make a lovely bonfire. As do your elves.

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 16, 2010, 06:47:35 pm »

Dear Urist McLegendaryMiner:

It is with great sadness that the management learns of your unfortunate and untimely demise.  We regret the incident that led to your death, and indeed regret further that we do not yet know what it was.  The scale of our current mining and engineering operation has, with hindsight, impacted not only our normally impeccable health and safety record but also certain non-essential concerns, which regretfully included operational record keeping.  We've asked around, but nobody seems to know how you ended up at the very bottom of the excavation chamber.  If you hadn't started rotting, it's likely nobody would have ever noticed at all.

In the spirit of goodwill we've asked your wife to provide a fitting tribute for your tomb, but she's too busy partying like it's 999.  In lieu of a genuine tribute, we trust "Nobody cared about him" will serve as an epitaph.  We don't really have the engravers to waste on anything bigger anyway.

The management salutes your effort, but notes that there are thirty other legendary miners to pick up the slack, and they've all got more friends than you.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:49:58 pm by Tommy »
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 16, 2010, 10:34:32 pm »

Dear Dwarves,

Holy mother of Armok, guys. I know you were hungry, but couldn't you have waited till the Donkey was cooked? rather than swarming the butcher's shop and devouring it's corpse like a school of piranha? Thanks for the nightmares.

-Your Ruler

Dear Urist McEngraver,
As I've discussed before on the forum, I quite enjoy your little pictures of that Marsh Titan, and welcome any new artwork of his battles. However, try to remember that, through my eyes, these engravings appear as the letter 'K'. Point being, would you stop putting three of them in a row all over the place?

-Your Ruler

PS if you'd brought your buddy the High Master Miner some food while he lay in the hospital with a broken leg, you wouldn't have to engrave all those images of him wasting away.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 17, 2010, 02:36:23 am »

Dear mayor,

I agree it is a nice joke to dig channel over magma pool where the liaison was standing and waiting you'll spend some time to talk with him. I really laughed. But could you please do that just AFTER we made trade agreement, not BEFORE?

- your master

PS. Striking that poor cow in the head with your pick, and your fellow Architect was a nice joke too. And the last joke with petrifying yourself into the obsidian - was the nicest!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 18, 2010, 01:31:54 pm »

Hey, Urist McFarmer. I know the quarry bushes are very, very scary. I know you've spread the word to the whole fortress never to grow them. However, I kind of need them. Plant them.

Failure to comply will result in unarmored danger room training.

~S
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 18, 2010, 01:42:28 pm »

To Whom It May Concern

If your job requires you to be armed (miners, I'm looking at you) and you are told to kill a creature, DON'T DROP YOUR WEAPON. Likewise, if I tell you to wrestle a creature, DON'T JAM YOUR PICK INTO THEIR SKULL.

-Your Benevolent Ruler
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 18, 2010, 06:58:23 pm »

Lan Likotrigoth,

Firstly, I very much appreciate your having a mood and becoming a Legendary Armorsmith.  Believe me, this is a good thing.  However, if I may offer just the slightest bit of constructive criticism.  A single Adamantine boot, while certainly very pretty, and ... well ... astoundingly valuable ... is nonetheless a single boot.  Since we already have problems getting our military to wear two boots at the same time I worry you may be disappointed if it sits gathering dust.  On the other hand, I also worry that it may only further encourage our military in the practice of wearing only a single, very nice boot.

Secondly, far be it from me to question your inestimable authority, but could you maybe have picked a stone other than graphite with which to decorate it?  I worry about it somehow catching fire and, you know, never going out.

Thirdly, and again, please do not take this as anything but constructive criticism.  I do wish you had decided to have your mood before having already reached High Master Armorsmith status.  It would have done us a world of good about five years ago.

Again, I do thank you and you may expect to be assigned to an upgraded accommodations as with your fellow Legendary crafters.

Sincere thanks,
Your Fortress Overlord, Esq.

P.S.  I understand the symbolism, but the image of Likot Lucklance weeping for having been removed as outpost liason would have been more correctly represented by an image of Likot Lucklance bleeding out from multiple goblin pikes and sword injuries as the actual reason for being removed as outpost liason.  Just saying...

----

Since the graphite is only decoration and not considered the material the boot is made out of I don't think it would work.  But the idea of an ever-burning Artifact Adamantine boot worth 870k dwarf bucks on display somewhere is unfathomably epic.

edit: It's name is "Voiceraced the Worried Meteors."  The idea of a dwarf wearing it while on fire makes the name unbelievably perfect.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 07:25:41 pm by ledgekindred »
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 18, 2010, 07:07:15 pm »

I hate to be a kill joy, but I'm fairly certain that graphite is the material in pencils and that its not very flammable. At all.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 18, 2010, 07:09:58 pm »

Yes it is found in pencils. Yes it is flammable. Yes it is very hard to ignite.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 18, 2010, 07:22:07 pm »

Yep, in df it has an ignition point that only magma is capable of reaching, and no melting point.  That means you can catch graphite on fire with magma and it will never stop burning.  Considering it is now on fire and in magma, there are limits to what can be done with it after that although it still has its uses.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 18, 2010, 07:45:44 pm »

Drop water in a square around it creating obsidian. Mine it out, bring up the boot and build a shrine with the burning boot on top. Maybe then your military will wear two boots then.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 19, 2010, 06:26:04 am »

To: Dr. Vucar

The other dwarves have got the stone hauling handled. Your patient however, is currently lying in the dirt with a busted-up leg. Please try and sort out your priorities before you end up as the defendant in Dwarf Fortress's first ever medical malpractise suit.

Signed,
The voice of reason to which every one of you stupid bastards is deaf.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #239 on: September 19, 2010, 11:14:12 am »

Dear Urist McMason.

Hello, this is your overlord, writing this from god knows where. I know that you've seen many disturbing things in your life, while living here, in Walledswords....seen your friends die in front of you and get your face splattered by elephant blood but for god's sake, stop engraving the walls with your disturbing art. Especially the dinning room ! Who the hell wants to eat while watching these engravings ? I mean the dinning room is full of elephants being struck down and and many images of our dear Urist McOldChampion being killed by a ghoul. God praise him. Please. STOP.

~Your current overlord.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 504