Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 53

Author Topic: Fortress Overseer 0.70.1 - !Open Source! 3D Visualizer - 31.25-34.11 Support  (Read 367070 times)

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Overseer v0.16 Visualizer/Exporter - now with textures and trees!
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2010, 09:57:02 pm »

One small issue I found: Overseer seems to flip the map when it reads it. I can post some shots later if you want, but I'd recommend testing on a fort where it is easy to tell direction. Everything is mirrored compared to DF.

That's a known problem that I haven't gotten around to fixing yet. I'll be sure it's solved in the next release.

Also, any plans to add water and biome-specific skyboxes?

Water, yes. I hadn't thought about biome-specific skyboxes, and I like the idea. Thanks.

I think it would be awesome if textures could span multiple tiles.  Like, if you wanted, you could put multiple marble textures into the folder, and it would randomly pick...and some of those textures could be 2x1 tiles, and it would put them together.
That would be... difficult. I'd have to change the way the whole geometry generator works. I don't think that'll happen... ideally the texture system we end up with will look good enough that this won't be necessary.

Anyways, slight update. Impostors are apparently flat broken in OSG. The lead developer says that nobody in any case should ever use them. ::)

So I've been messing around with billboard trees and am having issues getting those to look good. I think I might just leave them how they are right now and move on to shader stuff. Maybe with water after that.

And if anybody can give me any pointers on how to get the trees to look good, I'd appreciate the help <_<

EDIT: I forgot to mention, school just started up for me again. Engineering schools (or at least mine) show absolutely no mercy, so I'm going to have a lot less time to work on Overseer now. That being said, shaders WILL be implemented by sometime next week, I promise. I'll see what else I can get done too.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 10:32:03 pm by thewonderidiot »

Sexy Mustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2010, 10:00:08 pm »

Texture pack update!! i now officially have 20 textures done! i finished 11 new textures(although 5 of them are the 5 colors of sand :3) my primary focus has been texturing the different types of stone that form layers since they are the most prevalent. also i changed the structure of the download to just be the images folder, so all you need to do is replace the old folder with the new(seemed easier).
The textures i added this release are
Update 1!!! 20 total textures done! textures added are as follows:
Chalk
Diorite
Granite
Gypsum
loam
Sand_black
Sand_red
Sand_tan
Sand_white
Sand_yellow
Schist

link! http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3033

*edit* PICTURES!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:51:41 pm by Sexy Mustard »

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2010, 10:59:27 pm »

Well, unless anybody is opposed to it, I'm going to push vegetation off for now. I'll include an option in the ini file to billboard them or use models. The former will look bad and the latter will be a massive resource hog -- no winning with veggies right now. I'll try to get that done for next release.

What I *AM* looking to do for the next release:

-Fixing the mirror bug and a few camera spawn bugs
-Adding in shader support and including a general purpose bumpmapping shader and normal maps for all of the included textures
-Removing OIS. It's a great input system but literally cannot release the mouse while running, and that's annoying. I'm going to go back to OSG input but I'm going to do it much more directly this time so hopefully I won't need to jump through any of OSG's crazy hoops.

Once all that's done, I'll try to finish up veggies and start liquids. Look for a release by the end of this weekend.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2010, 07:16:05 am »

This looks great! Good think you implemented the vegetation switch. Running all models was a massive slowpoke :D

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2010, 08:17:46 pm »

Quick update before the release:

First of all, I fixed the mirroring issue so the generated geometry won't be mirrored anymore. Thanks to those who pointed that problem out.

Second, I've dropped OIS. That means we're back to OSG input, but I made it much, MUCH more nicely this time. Words of wisdom: don't listen to what the documentation tells you to do -- browse the OSG source until you find the best way of doing things -_-;

What this means is that now you'll be able to right click to release the mouse and left click (on the window) to grab it again. So now you can have Overseer open and actually be doing other things  ;)

Also, shaders have been implemented. As always there will be a toggle in overseer.ini. By default it tries to find /materials/programs/material_name.vert/frag, and if it can't find both of them, it falls back on /materials/programs/bump.vert/frag. All shaders are compiled at runtime so you can edit them to your heart's content. Actually, if anybody who knows shading languages well would like to write custom shaders for different materials, tell me what attributes and uniforms you need and I can make a standard set that are passed into all Overseer shaders.

Finally, I have a new idea for vegetation. It probably won't make it into the next release since it's pretty major, but you can expect it to come after that. I've also got the basis for the fluids system worked out (nothing implemented quite yet) so expect to see that soon too (again, probably not this upcoming release but the one after).

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2010, 09:48:00 pm »

That grass looks too real.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Sexy Mustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2010, 12:20:17 am »

That grass looks too real.

^.^!!!!! You have made my day sir, maybe my week!

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2010, 04:50:21 am »

Might want to try "dulling" the textures a bit. Right now the contrast is such that the average mountain looks like a paint factory explosion.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2010, 09:31:30 am »

Might want to try "dulling" the textures a bit. Right now the contrast is such that the average mountain looks like a paint factory explosion.

Already done  ;D

If anybody's curious, here's a shot of the dev build right now. I know the textures and their normal maps aren't quite there yet, and the shaders aren't up to par yet either, and there's some weird lighting issues, but it doesn't look TERRIBLE  :P

Here's a shot of outside, showing pretty much only bumpmapped textures:

And here's a shot from down in the caverns, showing the (formerly textureless) colored tiles that are now darker and have a crack map on them, as well as a few bumpmapped textures.

There's still a fair bit of work to be done before I'll be comfortable releasing it, so you can expect it to look better when the next version rolls around. I can tone down those colored tiles a bit more too if anybody thinks it's necessary.

Shadetree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2010, 12:36:16 pm »

Fortifications don't render right.  the tops are missing.  Other than that it's wondermus!

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2010, 12:41:13 pm »

Fortifications don't render right.  the tops are missing.  Other than that it's wondermus!

I know. I'm going to fix that when I put in stairs <_<

Speaking of which, I'll probably try to get both of those in before the next release.

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2010, 11:05:15 am »

For some reason i cant export to .3ds, the program just crashes (i want to render my huge fortress :D)
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2010, 11:27:23 am »

Would it be possibleto let the different textures merge where they border each other?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2010, 11:53:09 am »

Would it be possibleto let the different textures merge where they border each other?

Yep, that's one of the future goals. It'll be a bit complex to implement, so I'm going to get all of the basic functionality (water, objects, etc.) working before I start putting a lot of effort into it though.

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2010, 08:12:47 pm »

For some reason these visualizers always seem to crash out for me. Not sure why. This one gets to "Drawing z-level 108" then the window closes. Windows 7, 4 gig memory. Video card is kinda old, radeon x1900, maybe that's it.

Same video card, XP, same crash.  Disabling vegetation didn't help.  Any thoughts?
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 53