Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How important is writing to you?

I'd like to become a professional writer in the next decade.
- 7 (29.2%)
Less than videogames.
- 6 (25%)
I am a professional writer.
- 3 (12.5%)
More than my health.
- 2 (8.3%)
I'm not sure.
- 5 (20.8%)
More than videogames.
- 0 (0%)
Not at all.
- 1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: April 23, 2012, 11:42:36 pm

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 38

Author Topic: Bay12 Writers Guild  (Read 56741 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Writers Guild
« Reply #345 on: December 06, 2010, 04:35:43 pm »

You're aware that B12 writing group has variable membership? No single book will fix anything. I'll add it to the OP, though.

Of course I am.  I also know that it's the single best book I've ever read on plotting and characterization, and that I haven't read anything here that was blindingly stellar in either.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 06, 2010, 06:07:14 pm »

Due to Tumblr being down, it doesn't look like my next post will be up today.  Still, I'm trying to work to extend the current chapter up to at least 2k words.

The funny thing is, the chapter AFTER the current one is already 2.5k words...and was one of the most fun chapters to write.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 07, 2010, 03:53:52 am »

Vector: Well, after having read a shittone of instructory stuff and the like, I've become of opinion that it's not really the best approach. Sure, if you want to earn a quick buck and don't have a lot of time, they'll help you craft a one-time bestseller. Writing something worthwhile isn't about that. It's about getting in the mood (or the blues), getting comfy, and letting yourself out on paper or most likely on a computer display.

And I'm not implying that Lajos Egri is a crappy step-by-step manual. Any book that tries to teach writing. In the end, whatever they say, writing isn't about grammar, sentence structure, repetition, acts etc. It's about ideas. You can't teach a person to have an awesome idea. They have to know it. And most know it when they set out writing, but get bogged down in sleepless nights, asshole superiors, shitty TV-shows, and "helpful" writing textbooks.

Talanic: Yeah, yesterday I go to my bookmarks and what the hell? Where's my weekly piece of sci-fi? However, I foresee that a double update is going to be a worthy compensation.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 07, 2010, 04:11:43 am »

And I'm not implying that Lajos Egri is a crappy step-by-step manual. Any book that tries to teach writing. In the end, whatever they say, writing isn't about grammar, sentence structure, repetition, acts etc. It's about ideas. You can't teach a person to have an awesome idea. They have to know it. And most know it when they set out writing, but get bogged down in sleepless nights, asshole superiors, shitty TV-shows, and "helpful" writing textbooks.

Right.  In this case, it says "Once you have an idea--something you want to express--here is how to make sure that the audience will feel tension and interest in your work, and feel it is believable."

I don't think it's a good book to read in your moment of passion.  I think it's a book to read right when you feel like giving up writing, when you don't know what to do anymore.  That's when one should read manuals on writing, to provide a little bit of motivation and advice.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 07, 2010, 04:36:23 am »

Well, not that I don't agree entirely, but just to keep some tension. When you feel like giving up writing, you've got problems with your life, not your writing! Or you don't have the problems that made you write in the first place. In any case, story structure won't help you there. Go talk to your wife, kids or president. Or give away all your money and live in the street for a month, that's what you've got to do.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 07, 2010, 04:39:22 am »

Ah, for me I get so frustrated with my technical deficiencies that I stop being able to write for months.  Then I come back once I've solved them, and start working again.

Maybe I'm speaking mostly to people like myself ^_^;;  But, if there are any on here, then maybe the recommendation will help.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 07, 2010, 05:16:27 am »

There probably are. But at the same time, there's a lot of very poor people. ;)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 07, 2010, 05:19:23 am »

Er... I'm not fully sure I understand.  What does poverty have to do with a book recommendation?

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 07, 2010, 05:32:42 am »

Um.
Well, not that I don't agree entirely, but just to keep some tension. When you feel like giving up writing, you've got problems with your life, not your writing! Or you don't have the problems that made you write in the first place. In any case, story structure won't help you there. Go talk to your wife, kids or president. Or give away all your money and live in the street for a month, that's what you've got to do.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 07, 2010, 05:35:40 am »

Ah, I guess.  Sorry, it's really late here.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 07, 2010, 02:08:45 pm »

I figured, since I was late, I'd just post the next two chapters.  Enjoy!
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 08, 2010, 08:08:44 am »

Whoa... I... whoa...

Disappointment, sir. Disappointment. In blatant violation of Dialogue Regulations p. 2C "Character Confusion", you've failed to identify characters to resort to sexual innuendo instead of quality writing to appeal to your readers. I am forced to ask you to amend this immediately...  ;D

>:( Seriously, that was silly (although I understand that it's popular with modern fantasy fans), the chapter's still short for its actual content, not length (conflict-resolution seems is getting more and more appealing), and the ending bit of dialogue, almost completely untagged, is confusing as hell.

Also, I come home and find a bunch of writing threads pop up here. It's either a drought or a flood, and nobody cares for my schedule.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 08, 2010, 07:19:56 pm »

I'm sorry.  It may just be that I've been horribly sick all day - probably ate something bad yesterday - but I'm having trouble understanding your complaint.  It's the one chapter that received the most positive reactions except from you, and I'd like to understand why.

I'm only operating at about 10% capacity, though.  So keep in mind that the problem might just be me.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 09, 2010, 05:58:25 am »

Okay. Maybe it'll work better with examples.
Quote from: Talanic
“Just, keep an eye on the dealer if he’s wearing long sleeves?”

“Give it a rest!”

“Is that why it’s called p—”

“Finish that joke and I will slap you. I swear!”

“Or do you prefer stud?”
Do you find it easy to tell whose words are whose? I actually still can't grasp the content of this exchange because I don't have a mental image of the speaker... Or maybe I read too fast. But that's how fast I'm going to read if I'm interested in what I'm reading.

In general, I find that such short exchange doesn't work too well in fiction, because you need to attach an image to the words, probably, and you kind of don't have enough time. It works in musicals, but there you can see the speakers, and it all has a tempo, and music.

In short, that sexual bickering comes off amateurish, but as long as you aim your writing at teenagers on the Internet, it rocks.

And when people warn be about something, I'm more than likely to do just the opposite, so I hope you can gather some coherent meaning from my reply.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #359 on: December 10, 2010, 04:38:09 pm »

So I could use some objective (and harsh) criticism. But since I want to get this particular story ready for submission I can't just go ahead and post the whole thing. The best thing I could come up with is to post an excerpt and offer to send the rest to anyone who is interested.

It's about dreams and reality presented as a bleak surrealistic fairy tale and following a girl and her brother who have an innate aptitude for permeating barriers.

It's a short story and runs around 4000 words.

Spoiler: star sequent (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 05:38:43 pm by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 38