Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How important is writing to you?

I'd like to become a professional writer in the next decade.
- 7 (29.2%)
Less than videogames.
- 6 (25%)
I am a professional writer.
- 3 (12.5%)
More than my health.
- 2 (8.3%)
I'm not sure.
- 5 (20.8%)
More than videogames.
- 0 (0%)
Not at all.
- 1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: April 23, 2012, 11:42:36 pm

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 38

Author Topic: Bay12 Writers Guild  (Read 56734 times)

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Writers Guild
« Reply #435 on: April 16, 2011, 03:07:14 pm »

I think I enjoy writing. But it's kind of a paradox that my brain actually prefers to stay in a depressed state while there are many ways I could hide in fantasy with my own faculties, instead of relying on others'. I could develop my skills this way, but have to stare at the TV screen and play videogames to make myself happy.

On a different note, as we are such selfless and creative individuals, what do you think about this site and its cause?

Edit: suddenly stumbled on a thing that should have appeared in this thread a long time ago. Applies to aspiring writers, blocked writers, and people in general.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:23:15 pm by Supermikhail »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #436 on: April 16, 2011, 03:25:01 pm »

Honestly I can't even get through a single paragraph in most of the articles. They're so full of capitalized words and quotation marks that it feels smarmy and snarky and nonsensical and I can't really make heads or tails of anything.

And going back further...

I just feel insulted.

If your motivation, currently money, for having to exist, live and survive in this world were to be removed from this world completely (taken out of the equation of having to be necessary) – would you be self motivated?
It is because of money that all human beings in this reality are ‘why they are,’ ‘who they are,’ ‘how they are,’ ‘what they are,’ ‘where they are’ and ‘when they are.’
From where I’m looking, every person on Earth is a murderer just because they’re participating in the Money System.
I want to agree with this guy, but he's just so damn condescending.

e: Okay wow. This guy is a huge jackass and I think this deserves its own thread. If I can actually make it through it I'm gonna do a paragraph-by-paragraph dissection of that "The Power of Money" article. Actually no, because I am not sure I would survive it...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:56:08 pm by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 16, 2011, 04:01:20 pm »

There's this approach to motivation:

insult -> anger -> adrenalin -> ability to act

Although, quite unfortunately, last time (before that site) I came in contact with a practitioner of this approach (clear and outspoken), he turned out to be a scammer, apparently.

On yet another note. Recently in pursuit of the idea that entertainment should be collaborative, I came upon one million monkeys. So far this encounter hasn't born any fruits. Partially because they didn't offer what I was really looking for. And that was not mindless typing, but quite intelligent collaboration in all stages of a project. From inception to typing.

The idea was that people would collectively decide which and whose story they would write, they would brainstorm finer plot points and world details, and finally they would approach it just like one million monkeys proposed - by each typing small bits - competitively - and presenting them to fellow collaborators for evaluation. I think it would be cool.

Yeah, and they would claim no recognition for the final product. But I guess, "it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!"

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 16, 2011, 04:16:58 pm »

On a different note, as we are such selfless and creative individuals, what do you think about this site and its cause?

I'm writing a review of Avatar. Its late but I just really have to write down this stuff.

If this site is a scam, the creators are scum, if it is an actual cause then they are the most Yellow bellied people I have ever seen.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 04:21:29 pm by Urist is dead tome »

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 23, 2011, 06:30:52 am »

Could somebody tell me what's wrong with my writing? (Thread here) There's not much to read, due to the format I chose. And now I think it might not be working. Or I don't know. But something must be wrong.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 09, 2011, 09:36:23 pm »

I'm thinking of getting back into creative writing.

While I don't have time to write anything right now, I was thinking of doing something along the lines of writing some of the shorter, more significant scenes from my larger fantasies sans context.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 10, 2011, 03:23:57 am »

What would you say to a writing partner? If you don't mind my asking.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 10, 2011, 08:33:32 am »

Please elaborate, I'm afraid I don't exactly know what that entails.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 10, 2011, 09:03:53 am »

He, I'm not sure myself. I just remembered how I borrowed a story premise from you some time ago, and never did much with it. I moved it some distance from the premise, and thought that if you applied some of your creativity to the it, it could move somewhere further. Although I recall you weren't interested in continuing with that story. Well, I thought about brainstorming help in general.

Oh, there was a joke somewhere. Ah - if you're going to write significant scenes, you're going to need someone to write the insignificant ones. Da-boom.

In any case, it'd be interesting to hear what idea you intend to work on. Around the time I signed up for this forum, Creative Projects could boast a series of vivid images in your threads. If I remember correctly.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 12, 2011, 06:52:51 pm »

firstly, I'd like to apologize for taking so long to reply. I've been disconnected from the internet for quite some time.

I do have an idea, that I've expanded on quite a bit the last few months.

Something I'd like to mention though is that I'm not sure I'm cut out to be an author. I think that to be a satisfactory quality author, one needs quite a bit experience in reading. I simply do not have a great roster of books that I've actually read, and I have no desire to read a lot of books, nor any desire to force myself.

What I've been thinking is that I wanted to learn how to draw, because I'm actually much closer in mind and heart to the visual aspect of storytelling. If I learned how to draw, then I could create something comic or manga style, and I think I'd enjoy that much more. First though, I need to acquire a drawing tablet, since I think the digital medium would be much more cost efficient and allow me more freedom. It'd be pretty cool to be the next Fault around here, I think.

Anyway, my next idea goes as thus:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I hope that was a fairly good summation. I also want to get back to the one story I told everyone about in the past, with the giant Tower and the magic people that scale it and kill eachother in the process.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 13, 2011, 05:18:06 am »

Well, you know I haven't been reading much lately myself. I write it off on the account of too much stress. But, you do realize that drawing comics might require some things which are not comics? Like, to draw well you need to learn to draw from nature. I don't think tablets are well suited for that. Sure, lots of people here don't do that and draw only next to their computer. I'm not of a high opinion of their drawings. But if you want to go like them, it's strange for me that you don't want to be a low-quality writer, but don't mind being a sub-par artist.

Anyway, if art, I recommend to start with a physical drawing notebook (hardcover) and a pencil. It's actually quite fun to have with you on a walk. But, if it doesn't appeal to you, there are other venues. Maybe you could go for directing short movies if you've got a video-camera, or machinima.

I've got some thoughts on the plot. Well, it's... the ending should be considered cliché these days. I mean the protagonist turning out to be a robot.

What happens to the organization after Franco finds his "brother"? Does Franco just leave?

About after-the-spoiler. One of the more important things in creative projects is dedication. Writing a novel could easily take a year, and a comic could go a lot longer. It might be a good idea to look at all your ideas and choose the strongest one you think you can dedicate a good amount of time to, regardless of the tools. At least that's my philosophy. Although, from a single sentence, the giant tower idea seems to be more suited for a video game. Or maybe not.

I had a similar idea, only there the tower was assaulted by a single daring youth. On a wing-glider or something.

From another angle, if the length is not important to you, the robot idea could be arranged into a novelette or a short story of about 15-20,000 words very well, I think. Frankly, it doesn't seem to hold much promise for a novel, unless there is an excessive amount of chases and fights. What do you think?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 13, 2011, 05:21:38 am »

Heh, I think I got the hang of sticking to my projects (so far at least, I'm at 10k+ words, which is a personal record for me).

The thing is, it's fanfiction :X
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 13, 2011, 05:32:09 am »

From where I currently stand, fanfiction or whatever, as long as it makes you feel good, it's cool. After all, some people call the same thing "the next entry in the franchise" or even "series reboot". Only for some reason they get paid for it.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 13, 2011, 05:50:31 am »

Huh. Never thought of it that way. Thanks! :)
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 14, 2011, 04:43:39 pm »

Your insight is always appreciated Mikhail.

These are just ideas that I'm tossing in my head, writing fiction is probably something I'm perfectly capable of doing, I just need practice.

And I am being quite stingy with my summation, but it does require a bit of work, I agree.

I had another idea just the other night. I might make a short story just to test my own personal waters pretty soon.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 38