Poll

PULL THE LEVER? [Y/N]

Y
- 281 (87.8%)
N
- 39 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 319

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 189

Author Topic: FailCannon: No Rest for the Wicked (or anyone else) (Succession: Battlefailed 2)  (Read 906402 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: FailCannon: A Year of Terrible Things (Succession: Battlefailed II)
« Reply #1905 on: September 18, 2011, 01:49:52 pm »

He has a good share of experience with crossbows
USELESS

arcangelsd

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-builder of the STFO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: September 18, 2011, 01:55:16 pm »

That's why he is currently doing all the carpenter jobs in the fortress. (I.E. windmills)
Did we just made reality itself commit suicide?
I think that sentence describes all of Failcannon.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: September 18, 2011, 03:06:58 pm »

He has a good share of experience with crossbows
USELESS

Hey, I have feelings too.  At least I'm being put to some use. 
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: September 18, 2011, 03:10:27 pm »

Ah, very amusing. Interesting that you lost a section of the fortress as well... I suspect the FBs are entering diagonally from below, somewhere under the sea of slime. I'd watch carefully whenever able, try to spot the general area of their point of entry and make a note (in game and mentioned in this thread) to seal that area off as soon as possible. It's hard to locate paths moving between z-levels diagonally, but generally only flyers could use them unless the lower level is submerged. If these fb's cannot fly, then the access must have been from under the lake. Remember that liquids cannot path through a vertical diagonal, so isn't a good indicator of these paths.
My fortress was invaded by a magma crab from the magma sea through the bottom of the forge access stairwell. Luckily only cancelled a few jobs and ran back into the sea through the same point.

The sort of path I'm talking about looks like this from the side; # = wall, _ = dug-out space
##__
__##
Where the lower area could be filled with magma or water. Dwarves could not path out without swimming skill.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

arcangelsd

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-builder of the STFO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: September 18, 2011, 04:03:46 pm »

Eric, it's all cool. I walled off every path. EVERY path, and now they are harmless. I guess they are coming through an opening somewhere over the hatches we use to contain the flood of the old magma forges. The ones, that are casually rendered useless because someone digged a paralell stairway. Whatever. The point is that, even in a far, and optimistic future, it will be impossible. It looks like this :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Slimecean is directly dropping onto the fortress, from more than 10 z-levels above. I'm unable to stop it, and for when we have the mediums, it wil be impossible to pump/erradicate al the water and forgotten beasts. The point is: This flood is killing my FPS, I'm at 20. I looked at the insane pumping infrastructure, and nothing connects with the source of this flood. It's simply a diagonal hole at the bottom of the slime ocean. I think that one similar is causing all the beasts to appear in the stairs, but i'm unable to close it. In fact, it seems that we have more than the half of the beasts that are alive partying hard in the lost sections of the fortress.

Second point: As I said, the game is going SLOW. I haven't even reached my first spring yet, and this week is my first week of actually doing something at the university. I'll update anyways, even if I am only able to run DF a hour a day until the weekend. I expect to hit my second summer before friday. Is everyone okay with this?

P.D.: Sorry for my weird writing... I'm in a rush o.O

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: September 18, 2011, 10:01:47 pm »

Yup, pumps will build atop blueprints, but the whole ruddy lot will deconstruct when the idiots build one atop a theoretical one.  Same thing will happen with a line of waterwheels, EXCEPT, sometimes it'll let a bunch of them "float" and be connected to the edge.  Probably a bug, but a useful one.  Oh, and you might want to keep that marksdwarf away from where the kobolds could shoot Catalyst or else he might take a shot at her.

If you want a water reactor to power your little schemes,  dig out a space shaped like

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF
WFFFFFFFFFFFW
WFFFFFFFFFFFW
FFFFFFFFFFFFFF

F = Floor
W = Wall

level with the highest water level of a lake and channel to it (Floor it over though, or you WILL get trees).  With a floodgate as a wall into the reactor, for preference to control pressure.  On the level above

xwwwwwwwwwwx
XwwwwwwwwwwX
.wwwwwwwwww.

Where

Xx = screw pump pumping towards the north
. = empty space.
www = water wheel

Oh and put a wall around the upper level, of course. (best way to actually draw power is to stick a gearbox above one of the screwpumps).

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: September 19, 2011, 05:15:10 am »

You have 20 FPS despite the flooding? Lucky bastard, I only got 12.

arcangelsd

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-builder of the STFO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: September 19, 2011, 07:45:33 am »

You have 20 FPS despite the flooding? Lucky bastard, I only got 12.
I guess that I have one of the highest FPS counts, then.
Ergo, noone will want to put into motion the FPS killing machine to suck the sea that I designed u_u (Designed, not built)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:54:09 am by arcangelsd »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: September 19, 2011, 07:47:38 am »

20 FPS? Holy fuck, you have a computer from the future. I only got 14-15... :(

arcangelsd

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-builder of the STFO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: September 19, 2011, 08:02:36 am »

And you'll believe that this is the same computer that doesn't even run Red alert 1 properly?
It's made of madness, that's why DF runs so smoothly.

Okay, I have pinpointed the source of the flood to one fortification (¿?) and one stair (¿?¿?) to the slime sea.
Given that the main yard has been claimed by zombie buzzards given the impossibility of deploying marksdwarves, I'll start working on the innards of the fortress. Looking at the maps of the old forges, I have located several rooms that should be untouched by the flood. Those rooms include several common bedrooms, from which I'll salvage some beds and statues, and the prize: a unflooded weapon stockpile ripe with bins of weapons AND pump components.

About the buzzards, never mind: Mormota II got pissed and ripped 'em apart.

And people, what about a sea- based dwarven water reactor?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: September 19, 2011, 08:06:32 am »

Go for it.  It'll be far more reliable and safer than setting up windmills outside.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: September 19, 2011, 08:36:35 am »

Zombie bussards aren's a threat really. I've been outside for an entire season without them attacking me.

arcangelsd

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-builder of the STFO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: September 19, 2011, 09:05:09 am »

Zombie bussards aren's a threat really. I've been outside for an entire season without them attacking me.
Not, but they spook the workers, and because the game doesn't give any alerts like "Urist Mclazy cancels X: interrupted by Y", I had a hard time guessing why they just won't finish any work outside xD

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: September 19, 2011, 09:09:13 am »

Not, but they spook the workers, and because the game doesn't give any alerts like "Urist Mclazy cancels X: interrupted by Y", I had a hard time guessing why they just won't finish any work outside xD

Jon cancellations are still turned off.  Turning them back on may reveal why those mechanics never finished their work.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: September 19, 2011, 09:26:27 am »

Jon cancellations are still turned off.
...great. Who did this? Let me shake his throat for his good work.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 189