Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38

Author Topic: Arma 2 + Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead  (Read 50024 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arma 2 + Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead
« Reply #540 on: February 28, 2013, 06:41:27 pm »

Unfortunately I've heard that the 3d editor is something they had to pull. Supposedly they're also trying to get the Take On Helicopters flight models into the game, but they won't be in during the alpha, or maybe not even at launch, but it's something they're trying to get in.
As for making AI smarter, have you see the 'headless client' videos Shacktac has made? It basically makes the AI run on its own dedicated processor, and the result is... pretty amazing.

Anyways, there's been a new RPS interview.
see tracers fly right over my head and hear the bullets pop.
This suggests supersonic cracks for bullets by default. The supersonic crack from ACE is one of the most amazing (yet simple) additions to the game.
A combat engagement can play out differently each time, but is now enhanced by a much-refined radio protocol and better responsiveness of the character movement.
This makes me wonder, does this mean that the AI communicates with each other or something instead of instantly knowing what's going on? Or is it simply talking about giving commands using the radio like in OFP or ARMA? The enhanced character movement is probably just referring to more fluid character movement, instead of the awkward tank-like controls from all the previous games, in addition to multiple stances per stance (if that makes sense =p )

If the mission editor lets you make multiplayer missions (and not be restricted to the two MP missions they give you) then this alpha is going to be pretty amazing, even with how limited the weapons and vehicles etc. are going to be. Especially if they allow the 'attachto' command to create battlebus wars >=3
we do not currently plan to test attaching bleachers and turrets to vehicles to create a battle bus for example
Damnit

Finally, for those of you happened to miss this detaul, a 'trial' will be available upon the 14th which allows you to play it for free, but with no multiplayer. Keeping in mind that ARMA 2 currently has a free option with multiplayer, perhaps ARMA3 will get one sometime as well? I love BI

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 28, 2013, 06:55:55 pm »

I'm sure the battlebus will be constructed. Players will always find a way to get the most guns onto the smallest platform.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 28, 2013, 06:58:08 pm »

Players will always find a way to get the most guns onto the smallest platform.
Speaking of that...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #543 on: March 01, 2013, 05:40:06 am »

Ooh, that's a cool idea about the headless client. Hadn't heard about it! FolkARPS uses ASR AI, which greatly improves AI and makes a lot more dynamic. It flanks a lot more, etc. I honestly don't know much about ASR AI, but it makes coops harder :P

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 01, 2013, 06:52:47 pm »

Headless client doesn't make the ai smarter, it just offloads ai processing to a different server allowing more calculations to be done without lagging the server. This allows you to have a lot of players and a lot of ai without the server crying.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 04, 2013, 06:26:01 pm »

No explanation required.

EDIT: Expect more within an hour or so.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:33:42 pm by OzyTheSage »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 04, 2013, 06:54:26 pm »

Oh ShakcTac.
You never cease to amuse me.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 04, 2013, 07:05:51 pm »

TheBronzePickle decided to go ahead and make a separate ARMA3 thread.

For ARMA 2 news, Gamespy is shut down, so if you want to play with friends you're going to have to find actual servers to play on or find some non-gamespy method of doing it. This is sad news because it means I can't really play with my friends anymore unless we find a server to play on, and we liked screwing around with our own missions and such. Perhaps Tunngle is an alternative?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #549 on: March 05, 2013, 07:23:35 am »

I thought only the news part of gamespy was going down? I think the rest is unrelated, but servers behind NAT are having trouble, and we've not had VON for last session :(

I guess configuring port forwarding is now a must ;)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #550 on: March 05, 2013, 11:43:41 am »

ARMA III Alpha is available. I'm thinking of getting it in case of pre-order goodies for TF2.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 05, 2013, 03:10:54 pm »

ARMA III Alpha is available. I'm thinking of getting it in case of pre-order goodies for TF2.
you're supposed to have a smiley face so that we can tell you're joking

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #552 on: March 05, 2013, 03:29:43 pm »

Who's joking? The last preorder rewards I got were a Max Head and vintage guns, which are worth a great deal more than the games themselves were. If I get a Russian's Severed Head and a Greek Prison Badge for preordering then heck, it's worth it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 05, 2013, 07:08:31 pm »

Who's joking? The last preorder rewards I got were a Max Head and vintage guns, which are worth a great deal more than the games themselves were. If I get a Russian's Severed Head and a Greek Prison Badge for preordering then heck, it's worth it.

they haven't been that valuable since people figured out that bill's and max's were valuable

now they're, like, as cheap as your average vintage hat.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 05, 2013, 07:29:27 pm »

TheBronzePickle decided to go ahead and make a separate ARMA3 thread.

For ARMA 2 news, Gamespy is shut down, so if you want to play with friends you're going to have to find actual servers to play on or find some non-gamespy method of doing it. This is sad news because it means I can't really play with my friends anymore unless we find a server to play on, and we liked screwing around with our own missions and such. Perhaps Tunngle is an alternative?
Just the website Gamespy is closing, FOX sold off the server technology a long time ago is my understanding.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38