Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Shortest Lived Forts  (Read 43231 times)

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
Re: Shortest Lived Forts
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2010, 07:45:28 pm »

Oh deer.
Deer manage to be an even greater nuisance to me than elephants (in their own biomes, that is). A deer managed to slip inside one of my fortresses and into my magma industry halls once and stalled all production for a season or more. Also managed to wound some dwarves when they bumped into it. An elephant slipped into another fort, and ran away to a long backup tunnel (instead of goring everyone once cornered, as I expected).
I read your deer, and I raise you llamas.
I've had goblin thieves less dangerous than them.

I'll call your llama and raise you walruses. Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.
And to those 3 I raise Skeleton ELEPHANTS!
WITH NO VODKA!
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2010, 07:47:55 pm »

Oh deer.
Deer manage to be an even greater nuisance to me than elephants (in their own biomes, that is). A deer managed to slip inside one of my fortresses and into my magma industry halls once and stalled all production for a season or more. Also managed to wound some dwarves when they bumped into it. An elephant slipped into another fort, and ran away to a long backup tunnel (instead of goring everyone once cornered, as I expected).

I'll call your llama and raise you walruses. Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.
WITH NO VODKA!
And i raise to you... ZOMBIE WHALES.
You try killing such a behemoth that can actually bodyslam.

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2010, 07:49:35 pm »

Oh deer.

WITH NO VODKA!
CURSE YOU!
Still, no VODKA!
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2010, 09:45:08 pm »

Seeing how such a dilema can be raised by being near an ocean the first time, nothing to drink at all

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2010, 05:34:58 am »

Embarked on a mountain biome, spent half an hour planning out every embark detail.
Strike the.. what the hell? where'd the wagon go? *Looks up nearly 30 Z-levels* oh there it is, waaaaay up there on a sort of overhang. OK, theres ramps, I can deal with it. *Unpauses game, nothing happens* Hmmmm, oh my FPS is Zero, huh.
A section of the cavern has collapsed! x9999
Urist McEveryone has died x7
Game slowly comes back to normal FPS, and most of the map has collapsed into the shallow cave system.
*Cue Cursing*
Reclaim is a go!
Reclaim party spawns 5 z-levels in the air, falls to death.
*Ragequit*
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2010, 07:30:55 am »

I raise you the absolute god of fortress-eating monsters: undead sea monster. Exceedingly rare, but if you ever run into one, you're doomed unless you have a magma trap at the ready.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2010, 07:52:23 am »

Oh deer.

WITH NO VODKA!
I counter your undead whales with an undead dragon that can breathe fire!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2010, 07:59:00 am »

Now mod dragonbreath onto the sea monster. Come on, do it for !!science!!
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2010, 08:01:16 am »

Now mod dragonbreath onto the sea monster. Come on, do it for !!science!!
A sea-faring creature that breathes fire? Isn't that a little contradictory?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2010, 08:15:44 am »

Contradictory!?
THIS!
IS!
DWARF!
FORTRESS!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2010, 08:44:04 am »

Even though they can breth fire, they'll only go down in a few hits due to the size-equals-hp system for zombies that doesn't apply to non-undead creatures. The smaller you are, the easier you are to kill.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2010, 08:47:53 am »

My shortest lived for was one plagued with zombie wolves and harpies (40d). Before I had set up workshops everyone was dead.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2010, 09:00:12 am »

Grass is the most virulent plant in the world. It will grow almost anywhere.
But creatures walking on it will STILL kill it...DF is weird...

Contradictory!?
THIS!
IS!
DWARF!
FORTRESS!

...Yeah.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MrNuke

• Bay Watcher
  • Always the trader...trading you some BLUE STUPH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2010, 09:18:39 am »

Embarked next to a river from which my wagon was one tile away.
Got Ninja'd by 5 alligators.
Oh, god, the combat reports... :(
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2010, 04:43:17 am »

My most recent, first in .16...

Smaller map than I usually do (and between cliffs, river, and volcano, immediately dropped to 20fps!), had water, volcano, flux in there somewhere, and iron open to the surface from the cliff. Found a perfect spot on a broad plateau jutting from the side of the volcano's cliff face, near the side of the map, designate to dig into it, unpause--

and three ogres immediately come sprinting from just off the map, make a beeline to the wagon, and neatly stave in all seven skulls.  ::)
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15