Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6978 6979 [6980] 6981 6982 ... 10993

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13520172 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #104685 on: June 21, 2016, 11:09:06 pm »

Cracked is equal parts good journalism and hilarious hoax

Can still read those articles for hours though, damn clickbait

But am I like the ONLY person ALIVE who knows that the buttons... the walk buttons... Make it so that WHEN the light changes it stays changed longer so that people can walk across?
In NZ it doesn't change the cycle (in most intersections) but just displays the walky man light and the beepy sounds once the cycle reaches the point where pedestrians can cross and people turning left have to give way to them
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #104686 on: June 21, 2016, 11:09:14 pm »

I'm fairly certain that in New Zealand at least, the light never change until you press the button.

E: ninja'd by actual kiwi
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104687 on: June 21, 2016, 11:21:31 pm »

Here in NC the cycle really depends on where you are.  On certain town and city roads it can take several minutes to change if it the buried magnets don't detect a car (they don't detect bicycles, which is how I know... gr...)

But, I never heard this about pedestrian buttons.  They seem to work quite rapidly and reliably where I live.  When I just wait patiently, it seems to take a lot longer...
I know it might be confirmation bias but, doesn't seem like it?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104688 on: June 21, 2016, 11:25:48 pm »

snip
Don't see how, but I don't know the context 100% so w/e, let's leave it alone

...OFFICIAL sites...
...Cracked.com...
No.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104689 on: June 21, 2016, 11:31:47 pm »

To be fair, in America, apparently in quite a lot of cities (usually because they can't be assed to fix them) the buttons... don't do anything.

In Canada though, they do! Hooray!

Also, I've seen a lot of people press and hold or just rapidly press the button until the light changes. Like that's going to make it go faster? It'll just break the button sooner, man. Chill the fuck out. Once, twice if you want to be sure it registered, and that's all it needs, man.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #104690 on: June 21, 2016, 11:33:45 pm »

Here in NC the cycle really depends on where you are.  On certain town and city roads it can take several minutes to change if it the buried magnets don't detect a car (they don't detect bicycles, which is how I know... gr...)

But, I never heard this about pedestrian buttons.  They seem to work quite rapidly and reliably where I live.  When I just wait patiently, it seems to take a lot longer...
I know it might be confirmation bias but, doesn't seem like it?
Living in the exact same city as you, I think pushing the button is faster? I tend to push it anyways, so I don't have much data.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #104691 on: June 21, 2016, 11:36:15 pm »

Also, I've seen a lot of people press and hold or just rapidly press the button until the light changes. Like that's going to make it go faster? It'll just break the button sooner, man. Chill the fuck out. Once, twice if you want to be sure it registered, and that's all it needs, man.
Haha, people do that here as well. They run up to the corner, aggressively smack the button half a dozen times, and then jump up and down impatiently for the next five minutes. Hilarious.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #104692 on: June 22, 2016, 12:44:17 am »

I'm in Houston Texas.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #104693 on: June 22, 2016, 12:48:11 am »

My hometown is so small and has so smooth traffic, we don't even have traffic lights for pedestrians. In the capital of Helsinki, though, the buttons definitely work. I once tried looking at the lights for a few minutes without pressing it, and they didn't change until a person came along and ruined my incredibly scientific experiment by pressing the button.

http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aNWoyL3_460sv.mp4

I need to know what movie is this :V
Whatever it is, I can't help but laugh that the prop bow has so little poundage that the arrows don't even fly out of the screen.

(they don't detect bicycles, which is how I know... gr...)
Protip: hop off your bike and push it around: you'll count as a pedestrian and don't have to follow traffic lights meant for vehicles (only those meant for pedestrians). Then hop back on once the situation favours vehicles again.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #104694 on: June 22, 2016, 01:19:20 am »

Protip: hop off your bike and push it around: you'll count as a pedestrian and don't have to follow traffic lights meant for vehicles (only those meant for pedestrians). Then hop back on once the situation favours vehicles again.
This is why people hate cyclists

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104695 on: June 22, 2016, 03:05:38 am »

This fucking comment section.
Youtube comment sections are generally a cesspool, but this video takes it to a new level.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #104696 on: June 22, 2016, 03:16:12 am »

This fucking comment section.
Youtube comment sections are generally a cesspool, but this video takes it to a new level.

/pol/

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104697 on: June 22, 2016, 03:39:35 am »

Ah.
Man I hate the internet sometimes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104698 on: June 22, 2016, 03:41:24 am »

This is why people hate cyclists

No they hate Cyclists because they own the road. :P

In Canada when a cyclist is riding you have to keep such a distance away from them (I believe 1 meter, maybe more) they you literally have to go into the next lane to avoid them... or even into oncoming traffic.

Meaning that according to Canadian law all Cyclists are Jerks :P

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104699 on: June 22, 2016, 03:49:00 am »

(they don't detect bicycles, which is how I know... gr...)
Get a couple of hard drive magnets, cut spot in bottom of shoe, epoxy in magnets, issue solved.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.
Pages: 1 ... 6978 6979 [6980] 6981 6982 ... 10993