Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1342 1343 [1344] 1345 1346 ... 10990

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13457303 times)

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #20145 on: October 21, 2012, 04:35:09 am »

Is it weird that this particular thread cheers me up more than the other ones do when I'm sad?
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20146 on: October 21, 2012, 05:22:35 am »

Ye gods, I was wrong. That wasn't wrong, there are far worse things to see.
Holy hell that's horrifying.
That is really weird.
He pretty much summed it up:
"I... I got nothing. Not even witty commentary"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20147 on: October 21, 2012, 05:29:17 am »

Ye gods, I was wrong. That wasn't wrong, there are far worse things to see.
Holy hell that's horrifying.

First thought: It's so very windows 3.1. And then the laws of physics and sanity go right out the window, and my subconscious proclaims that THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG HERE. (Yes, in that voice)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20148 on: October 21, 2012, 05:47:32 am »

Actually, it seems as if it requires a minimum windows 95.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #20149 on: October 21, 2012, 05:53:11 am »

It wasn't creepy back then.  It was actually a really exciting place, at least as I recall.

It was amazing to have this ability to customize your avatar and float around talking to other people with your own voice in this 3d space.  In 1996 anything 3D still felt like extraordinary technology on that basis alone, and the customization... I don't think there was anything else like that at the time.

What was really interesting in retrospect were the social dynamics.  Your voice got quieter over distance, so when you approached two people talking, it was just like doing so in real life.  It was a totally different experience from every kind of social space developed until then, where you're in this kind of spacial singularity.  Everyone is in the same space and everything said is equally visible to everyone, even in the couple other voice chat programs that were around at the time.  There are very few games even today where voice chat is handled spatially.  It's sort of this weird universal soapbox that everyone's standing on at the same time.  That program felt more like being at a real social event, where you wander around and talk to different people in turn.

Now it's seen a ton of use and towards the end of its lifespan, people probably only saw it as an amusing space for making things that would freak out whoever stumbles on them.  Some of it may have even been used for roleplay.  That's actually how I was introduced to it.  Someone mentioned it to me as a thing that he was considering using for immersive roleplay.  Now all that stuff has been left behind absent of context, and it evokes the same sort of reaction as wandering into an abandoned building.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20150 on: October 21, 2012, 07:34:24 am »

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20151 on: October 21, 2012, 08:04:44 am »

Kill the calories...
That video made me feel ill, I actually feel like vomiting now
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #20152 on: October 21, 2012, 09:33:04 am »

Yes. That's a minus. It's counting downwards from 839 now
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20153 on: October 21, 2012, 09:58:18 am »

Now all that stuff has been left behind absent of context, and it evokes the same sort of reaction as wandering into an abandoned building.

That's exactly what makes it creepy: the knowledge that at some point it was inhabited. I checked up on it a bit myself, and it seems like an interesting concept for a chat service, but now that's it's empty, everything is really creepy, more so than, say, an empty IRC channel or a forum with two posters.

All of that aside, I sort of wonder what kind of abandoned stuff people will be digging up twenty or thirty years from now.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #20154 on: October 21, 2012, 09:59:12 am »

Now all that stuff has been left behind absent of context, and it evokes the same sort of reaction as wandering into an abandoned building.

That's exactly what makes it creepy: the knowledge that at some point it was inhabited. I checked up on it a bit myself, and it seems like an interesting concept for a chat service, but now that's it's empty, everything is really creepy, more so than, say, an empty IRC channel or a forum with two posters.

All of that aside, I sort of wonder what kind of abandoned stuff people will be digging up twenty or thirty years from now.

This thread :P
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20155 on: October 21, 2012, 10:44:57 am »

Ah, mention in one of the other games thread made me remember. Been doing a lil' volunteer work again at the local library, and while sitting around waiting for something to happen, well...

Movie titles. The big one that I keep WTFing at is, Love, in the Time of Cholera. Who the hell thought that was a good idea, and how the blazes is it any different from love at other times?

Anyway, no doubt at all there's odder ones, but... this one is in a public library. It almost made me wtf as hard as when I noticed they've got Anthony's Firefly on the shelves.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20156 on: October 21, 2012, 10:46:35 am »

As I recall, it was a book originally.

3. Run Resize Enable

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20158 on: October 21, 2012, 10:51:35 am »

I remember being... about 5 or 6 and finding a book all about the real differences between boys and girls in the kids' section. It was totally written for my age-range as well. It also included pictures. As in, photographs. Nowadays, I remember it and think 'how did that book manage to not get immediately thrown away?'
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20159 on: October 21, 2012, 11:10:00 am »

I remember being... about 5 or 6 and finding a book all about the real differences between boys and girls in the kids' section. It was totally written for my age-range as well. It also included pictures. As in, photographs. Nowadays, I remember it and think 'how did that book manage to not get immediately thrown away?'
What.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1342 1343 [1344] 1345 1346 ... 10990