Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5457 5458 [5459] 5460 5461 ... 10995

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13562775 times)

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #81870 on: July 27, 2015, 07:45:18 pm »

Also what Frying Daisu said. Like Sociopaths, just because they can't empathise with others properly isn't something to judge them over. If they decide to start murdering indiscriminately, sure, judge away, but don't judge them for their inherent characteristics.

What are the parallels being drawn here? I get the correlation between an inherent lack of empathy and an inherent discomfort with one's body, but what does the descent into murder represent for trans people?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #81871 on: July 27, 2015, 07:49:29 pm »

That was a tangent.

Okay, here's another example that's a bit contentious: Pedophilia. I will not judge someone for being a pedophile (that is, the inherent characteristic) but I will judge someone for molesting or doing bad things to children. Do you see the difference here? Maybe psychopath was a bad example that was a bit blurry.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #81872 on: July 27, 2015, 07:51:11 pm »

That was a tangent.

Okay, here's another example that's a bit contentious: Pedophilia. I will not judge someone for being a pedophile (that is, the inherent characteristic) but I will judge someone for molesting or doing bad things to children. Do you see the difference here? Maybe psychopath was a bad example that was a bit blurry.

I understand that, but how do the two stages relate to being a transsexual? What actions correspond to the thoughts and what corresponds to the molestation?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #81873 on: July 27, 2015, 07:53:42 pm »

What are the parallels being drawn here? I get the correlation between an inherent lack of empathy and an inherent discomfort with one's body, but what does the descent into murder represent for trans people?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's all a metaphor for something.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81874 on: July 27, 2015, 07:54:20 pm »

I'm rather uneducated about transhumanism, could someone explain it to me in informal points? The specifics.
If only the transhumanism thread wasn't nuked. Transhumanism, essentially, is the fusion of humanity with technology for the benefit of the former.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #81875 on: July 27, 2015, 07:55:41 pm »

What happened to transhumanism thread? Unless it was invaded by purity slav or Miriam Godwinson what could go wrong with that thread?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #81876 on: July 27, 2015, 07:57:31 pm »

Someone is looking at your kid with covetous eyes, and you won't judge them, despite them not acting on it?

I think nature can be judged. That the paedophile does not act on his nature is good, and is the result of a more beneficial part of his nature which gives him credit. That he desires it in the first place loses him credit.

I mean, who wouldn't judge me for wanting to kill my mother, even if I restrain myself and only think about it constantly, but never act on it?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #81877 on: July 27, 2015, 07:57:59 pm »

I'm rather uneducated about transhumanism, could someone explain it to me in informal points? The specifics.
If only the transhumanism thread wasn't nuked. Transhumanism, essentially, is the fusion of humanity with technology for the benefit of the former.

Will the transhumans have full control over their health and well-being? Will they be able to interact and socialize normally?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81878 on: July 27, 2015, 08:01:50 pm »

What happened to transhumanism thread? Unless it was invaded by purity slav or Miriam Godwinson what could go wrong with that thread?
I put a temp lock on it as one step among several to truncate some catastrophic discussion about the nature of humanity that wouldn't die. After the cool-off day was finished I went back to unlock it and found that Toady had turned it into a permanent lock.

Will the transhumans have full control over their health and well-being? Will they be able to interact and socialize normally?
A. Well, I certainly hope so.

B. I guess? I suppose if you modified yourself into a space locust normal socialization would be difficult.

Transhumanism to me is not that we should all become von neuman probes, but that we should use technology to obtain the minds and forms desired by any particular person.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81879 on: July 27, 2015, 08:02:05 pm »

Fuckin' sorry I'm a piece of disgusting filth, then.
This is like beating yourself up because your hips aren't wide enough or you have inverted nipples and shunting the responsibility for that action onto someone else. Physical characteristics go into whether someone is sexually attractive to someone else and we often don't know why we have the limits we do, why we are attracted to what we are (beyond circular logic).
I find a lot of fat extremely unattractive. My guess as to why is my fear of becoming fat. He doesn't have a solid guess beyond "evolution?" to why he finds sexually male people unattractive. This does not reflect upon you unless you consider it does.

"He says I don't have big enough boobs to interest him but I want him. Now I hate myself for not having them and I hate him for wanting what I don't/can't have."

Someone is looking at your kid with covetous eyes, and you won't judge them, despite them not acting on it?

I think nature can be judged. That the paedophile does not act on his nature is good, and is the result of a more beneficial part of his nature which gives him credit. That he desires it in the first place loses him credit.

I mean, who wouldn't judge me for wanting to kill my mother, even if I restrain myself and only think about it constantly, but never act on it?
The things you can't change take part in your character(and what it forms into) and is therefore relevant to a character assessment?
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #81880 on: July 27, 2015, 08:04:12 pm »

The tech doesn't exist yet, but.
Theoretically, having no body is the ultimate form of imprisonment, while having control over what form your body takes is ultimate freedom.
That would enable both.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #81881 on: July 27, 2015, 08:04:23 pm »

The things you can't change take part in your character(and what it forms into) and is therefore relevant to a character assessment?

Yes, that's called your personality.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81882 on: July 27, 2015, 08:04:59 pm »

That's just the point, though. It's not right, nor fair, nor just to judge or condemn people for thoughts which they never express. I'm certain that you, like just about every other human being on the planet, have thought about doing something horrible. Does that mean that people are fair to hate you for that thought?

That was a tangent.

I understand that, but how do the two stages relate to being a transsexual? What actions correspond to the thoughts and what corresponds to the molestation?

None of it does. It's a false comparison because there's nothing inherently wrong with being transsexual and there's nothing inherently wrong with a transsexual acting to fix their self-image. I was just addressing the flawed logic within the other scenario.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #81883 on: July 27, 2015, 08:08:04 pm »

Theoretically, having no body is the ultimate form of imprisonment, while having control over what form your body takes is ultimate freedom.
Sounds like transhumans will be able to take BDSM to a whole new level, then. :P
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #81884 on: July 27, 2015, 08:09:32 pm »

Sounds like transhumans will be able to take BDSM to a whole new level, then. :P
Ahem. As well as actual Torture.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.
Pages: 1 ... 5457 5458 [5459] 5460 5461 ... 10995