Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So no one wants to know how I do this? Ok then, Quick question, Should I get boring with the Updates, putting in the Results and no Story???

Yes, it takes too long and it will be too big when I read it.
No, take all the time you need, I like the story that comes with each post.
Other:: I will PM you what I think you should do...
OH SHIT, AN OWL!!! ((PS: IF you are thinking of doing something like this, and want to know the Template, PM me))

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Fortress Mode 2.0 :: Your life in a Dwarven Fortress ((Migrants always Welcome))  (Read 25758 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

\\:: Fortress Mode 2.0 :://
\\:: Your Life in a Dwarven Fortress :://

Welcome to Fortress Mode 2.0: Your Life in a Dwarven Fortress. Much alike to Hastur's Fortress Mode: The RPG, this too is a version of Fortress Mode played from the Point of view of your Dwarf. You decide what they do during each day and how long they spend on each task, making sure they are able to work, rest and eat when needed and with enough time spent of each to be efficient. This version will play a little faster when it comes to turns, week long stints of work will become common and only when something important appears in the lives of your dwarf will we return to day to day operations. But this does not mean that you will be able to build a fortress within a week. Actions will be simulated to a realistic method of production, don't be expecting to make a bed in one day. As you would need to go collect the wood from the stockpile, cut the wood to the right measurements and then begin building it. This could take a week for someone with no skill...

There are a few rules to go with this, just as a forewarning to both myself as a GM and you as the player. They are short and sweet but they will keep this game alive...

• Each player will be expected to post at least an action after each update, if two RL days pass after an update and no action is posted, the Dwarf goes Idle and consumes double the rations.
  • The Founding Dwarves will be First in, Best dressed. Meaning that the first 7 players to post a COMPLETED profile is added, saying you are IN and not posting a Profile before the slots are filled, even if you are the first NON GM post in this thread, will not save you a spot.
  • Migrants will appear around the middle of each SEASON, Players who missed out on being a Founding Dwarf are put onto a Waiting list.
  • Those on the Waiting list are not brought into the game via FIBD, but are given a random number, when the month has come, a DX *X being the amount one the waiting list, will be rolled 3 times and those that have that number will be PMed allowing them to know that they will be joining the Fortress. This will allow for a bit of fairness on those that come in late...
  • I have the right to add more rules...
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Dwarves ::
What makes them Tick???

The Dwarves are put together in a way to make each Dwarf different in their own ways. There are 5 different kinds of Personalities using the 5 Elements as their titles and emotions. Each Personality appreciates and loathes two other personalities each, meaning those of a personality that appreciates each other working together means better results then those that loathe one another. A Fortress can become divided quite quickly if too many oppose one another, but can Fall just as fast due to the lack of strengths in the areas lacking, thus is one part of the Dwarven Culture. The 5 Different personalities are;

Spoiler: EARTH :: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: METAL:: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: WATER :: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: WOOD :: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: FIRE :: (click to show/hide)

What makes them Dwarves.

A Dwarf is only as useful as the skills he has learned through his life or developed at the Fortress, they can be that of swinging a pick or swinging an axe. While some dwarves are able to do some things while other can do others, as long as someone is doing a job they can all be happy. A fortress runs by the Dwarves that work and to work they need skills. There are 16 Pure states of Skill levels from Dabbling to being Legendary at that Job, higher levels means the job is completed not only faster but at a higher level of quality. Even after attaining such a level that the Dwarf is considered a Legend, it doesn't mean he doesn't stop gaining more and more knowledge, there are rumors of higher levels even after Legendary, but few have ever been seen. The 16 Skill levels are;

Spoiler: Skill Levels (click to show/hide)

What do they use and carry???

A Dwarf is a very versatile humanoid (or as a Dwarf feels that it should be, Dwarvanoid.). They can carry heavy loads and a large assortment of goods about themselves given the amount of pockets that seems to be sewn into every article of clothing they wear, even when naked a dwarf can still carry something within their Beards. But there are some limits to how many of something they can actually carry when it comes to numbers. A single dwarf can carry only ONE large and heavy item, ranging from Logs to Corpses. And around 20 smaller items when it comes to trinkets and such. Additional items can boost these numbers. A dwarf is also able to work without tools in most jobs, but when it comes to finer things, having tools helps. Knowing what you can get from the start helps boost things along as well...

When starting a new Dwarf, they are given 500☼ to spend on the items available to buy at the Mountainhome of Origin, but after leaving and living in their own Mountainhome the trouble of Selling goods to affording to buy from the traders around the world becomes more and more difficult. Sometimes it might be wise to save those few ☼ when it comes to leaving the Mountainhome, but no one is going to stop you...

Anyway, the Items from the Mountainhome are as followed, but be warned, they are not of any high quality, nor are they all that trust worthy...

Spoiler: Equipment :: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clothing :: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Food :: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Weapons :: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Kennels :: (click to show/hide)

Those that we Worship.

The Dwarves follow their own culture and region, believing in different things over the years, proclaiming certain deities their one true pure belief, knowing who one prays to and presenting them the gifts of a Dwarven's work raises not only the spriest of the Dwarf but that of their Deity and their followers.

From the Book of Armok.

"Armok the Lord of Blood and all that dwell beneath the Earth watched as his creations worked furiously to please him. Constructing machines and constructs that praise and fill the pure lust of Blood that the Lord calls for to sate his thirst and allow them to move forward in their work. But as time moved on, Armok, Lord of Blood, felt annoyed by these creatures of his creation, they would gift him his tribute yes, but they would beg for forgiveness and help, and many other things that bothered him. Armok, The Lord of Blood, did not care for the Farms that feed his creatures, nor for the birth of a strong child to fight in his name, he wish to watch the destruction and mayhem that he sort for. He created the World for this alone and these creatures were beginning to tire him. So he looked to the earth and collected the essence of which those that prayed to him sort, brought them forward into a new form and position. He showed them to his Creations and they took to them like a Babe to Breast. The annoyance slowed to a trickle before all that remained was the Symphony of Screams and the Drink of Blood he enjoyed. And he looked down on his creation and was pleased..."

Below you will find your Patrons, while Armok is the one true God, he had created these to 'help' his creation that are the Dwarven Kind. Select your Godling to whom you will pray to, and remember that showing them thanks and praying to them you will gain their trust as well as their love, who knows where it will lead...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Are you one???

Finally we come to the actual method of creating your Dwarf for this Fortress, anyone can post up their Dwarf at any time and still gain the ability to enter the fortress during a Migrant Wave, create your Dwarf the way you want him/her to be and not to what you think needs to be filled at the Fortress in its current state, cause you will never know when you will be arriving. Please fill out the simple Profile and then we can get started...

NAME:: Please name your Dwarf something Dwarven for their clan name (Last name)
USERNAME:: Add a link to your profile, I will have to fumble to get the link reading right for me, but you will help me speed it up.
DEITY:: Chose from the above Gods. Note that the Megabeast list that had appeared early in the list is not Cannon, it was a Player stepping too far forward into GM turf...
PERSONALITY:: Choose from Earth, Metal, Water, Wood or Fire.
SKILLS:: You have 10 points to place in ANY Skill you wish and level any skill to the max of Professional (This costs 5 points, FYI), Dabbling Skill is refered to a Base Level and thus considered 'free' everyone is dabbling in all skills, its up to you in what you lift those skills into...
ITEMS:: Don't forget, you have 500☼ to spend in the Mountainhome store. Spend wisely. You will need at LEAST one months worth of food...

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~[/center
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 06:48:29 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maps ::
The Fortress and the World.

Finally we are to the parts that matter. The World Maps are that of flat planes, but as a Dwarf Explores, they have a chance of finding something important which can cause for another map to be created, otherwise it is just considered expandable area. Expandable area is only Mapped when a Dwarf enters it with the aim of building within the area. Going up or down to build a construction above ground however does not create an extra map. At first no maps will be reviled, in fact not even the starting map is reviled until the Founding Dwarves reach their destination. I will note that I am hand drawing each map in Ascii Designer, so please do not ask for 100z constructions with important details on every floor so they have to be drawn, skipping floors will be done even on the Fortress side of things when it comes to less important construction until they are NEEDED to be shown...

Founding Dwarves ::

We arrive and build our home, we are the first of our kind in these dangerous lands.

Spoiler: Irony Anchorbolt (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sam UristCatten (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Etur Rackwheels (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Shade Buket-Nimak (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vallan Lombukog (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Arkon Onolduthnur (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Torish Nirurtorir (click to show/hide)

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~[/center]

Migrants ::

We leave the Mountainhome of old in search of a new life, who knows when we will get there, but only then will we survive.

Spoiler: Fuzz Furiousweather (click to show/hide)

Special stuff stored for use later...

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:10:57 am by Neyvn »
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well then, I apologize to not having this ready when I was spos to when I first posted. We are now ready to receive...

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile

End of Day 5:
Changes

Fortress

Supplies
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:37:40 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I assume that the skills available are all the ones normally available in Fortress Mode?
Yeah, should I have said that. Thought it would have been obvious...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

NAME:: Irony Anchorbolt
USERNAME:: Wheee!
PERSONALITY:: METAL!
SKILLS:: Adequate Metalcrafter, Adequate Gemcutter, Adequate Gemsetter, Adequate Woodburner, Adequate Woodcutter
ITEMS:: Smithing Toolset (500), Axe (50), Spare Ragged Clothes (20), Personal Basics (5), Nine Weeks Hardtack (45), 10 Bottles of Beer (60), 5 Bottles of "Rum" (20), Puppy (100)

TO DAGOTH-UR!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:12:48 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

USERNAME:: Wheee!

AH!!! Thats annoying, seems that you can't see the number needed to see your own profile via someone elses account is possible to link...  That didn't make sense....... Yay English...

What I mean is, what I was asking for was the number at the end that allows me to see your profile. Irony's in this case is ;u=16929, but when you go to your own profile it doesn't show that number, wish I had noticed that earlier...

Edit:: Also noticed something, will need to state that the Toolset is for ONE profession only, so you can't have a Tool set for a crafter be used by a jeweler...Actually nvm
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 02:10:58 am by Neyvn »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Aw. Would forging more toolsets use metalcrafting?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would also request/suggest that there be different, cheaper types of toolkits. One does not use the same things for carving wood as forging metal, after all. Unless the shopkeep intentionally labels them confusingly and refuses to sell them in a convenient fashion?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would also request/suggest that there be different, cheaper types of toolkits. One does not use the same things for carving wood as forging metal, after all. Unless the shopkeep intentionally labels them confusingly and refuses to sell them in a convenient fashion?
It is spos to cover all jobs I think, Basicly they are not for everyone. But I guess that if you can think up some better ideas for them then maybe. Suggest the costing of each of the professions that need the tools. Mind though that the professions are the grouping so Smithing tools cover all jobs to do at a forge, while crafting covers all that has to do at a craftshop, and jeweler tools would be for both Cutting and setting...

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile

NAME:: Sam UristCatten
USERNAME:: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=22214
PERSONALITY:: Water
SKILLS:: Adequate Ambusher, Crossbow dwarf, butcher Skilled dodger

ITEMS::
Bolts?
can i buy one of these:
,___,
[O.O] ~ Hoot.
/)__)
-"--"-
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 02:37:12 am by maxicaxi »
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Artisan Tools for bone, stone, cloth and wood, Forge Tools for making and crafting metal and making glass, and Jewelling Tools for anything to do with cutting gems and glass.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 02:36:45 am by Shade-o »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

can i buy one of these:
,___,
[O.O] ~ Hoot.
/)__)
-"--"-
OH SHIT, AN OWL!!!

Bolts?
Oh thats odd, seems that a bit of text was missing from the weapons part. Its there now...

if dabbling costs 1
Does it when you add the points in DF itself???

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile

Are we going to start on a giant owl?!!?!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 02:39:17 am by maxicaxi »
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, what material are the weapons and shields made of?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27