Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Cooking and Brewing Diversity: the Food and Drink Megathread  (Read 34006 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking and Brewing Diversity: the Food and Drink Megathread
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2010, 02:57:45 pm »

nice!

my idea for the thread (this has been partially mentioned):
 [there is a dining room, a kitchen zone, a food-pickup zone*, an ingredient pile**, and a raw pile^]
COOKING ON
  • Dwarf gets hungry.
  • Dwarf looks for food in pickup zone and proceeds to eat it and get a very good thought about the great service (and another one about food quality)
  • If nothing found, a "Prepare Meal (Ordered)" task gets set in a kitchen, preferably unused.
  • Cook gets ingredients from the ingredient stockpile and goes to make a meal. Cook then brings it to the Pickup zone.
  • Dwarf goes to zone and takes the food to the dining room.
  • Dwarf not hungry. Dwarf gets a good thought about good service (and another one about food quality)
-OR-
COOKING OFF
  • Dwarf gets hungry.
  • Dwarf looks for food in pickup zone, then spoilable items in a stockpile, then non-spoilable.
  • Dwarf goes to dining room and starts eating.
  • Dwarf not hungry. Depending on status, fort wealth, economy, etc. might get a bad thought of varying severity.
*This is where hungry dwarves will pick up their food and where cooks will chuck food when done.
**This is where you tell the "pile" how many of which ingredients you want in it.
^If dwarves can't get an available cook and there's no food in the pickup zone, or you have disabled cooking, they will pick up food here. You can decide what you want here, which would typically be preserved stuff.

You could also make prepared meals specifically at the kitchen, and you could also set TIME BETWEEN COOKING SESSIONS (i.e. fast, normal, slow) to set food creation rates. These would not conflict with orders.

BTW, orders from nobles could be specific but should be from ingredients found in the fortress. Except for the king/queen, of course.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2010, 03:16:17 pm »

I like that idea, but penalizing more militant or smaller fortresses for not having huge elaborate kitchens is a bit unfair. Food quality should be the main thing, with service acting as an increase to the Dwarf's happiness. So if a nice roast is picked out of a stockpile and a dwarf gets a happy thought, then maybe the nice service and dining hall quality could be seperate smaller happy thoughts.

Also, if we have taverns we MUST have bar fights as well.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2010, 09:02:48 pm »

but penalizing more militant

Militant can simply buy more goods from caravans then by having a higher content of food, rather then well cooked food. . As many quotes on history on this. The military travels on its stomach, and is probably one of the few things that they would turn on leaders for!

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2010, 09:36:40 pm »

Also, if we have taverns we MUST have bar fights as well.

Also, if we have taverns we MUST have bar wenches as well ;)

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2010, 02:23:59 am »

a very small inclusion, for preservation we should also be able to use honey to preserve foodstuffs (when honey is added). I'll addmit that this will only be useful for very certain items mainly fruit and nuts but I swear I've heard of other things (meat etc) but I can't find proof so if anyone else can way in on this I'd be grateful. Also honey itself can last for thousands of years if sealed in a container, egyption honey has been found that is still edible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candied

And I'm not sure if it falls under this threads scope but vinegar has been used throughout history as both a cleaner and (fairly bad) disinfectant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vineger

Added candying in the preservation items. Added a little extra to the vinegar text.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2010, 02:31:00 am »

there should be "tattered" meals from lower leve;s trying something fancy. 
This seal curry is overspiced it is hardly edible.
eating it provides a negative thought and it is worth LESS than its composite parts.

I've added a note about this in the quality section.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2010, 04:49:36 pm »

Reading over the class thread has got me thinking that a dining hall/cafeteria/tavern should have some kind of overall quality rating, based on the fanciness of meals and decor, and this should factor into the price of a meal when the economy (and possibly social classes) come into it.

If a cook is working in a low-quality cafeteria, they should be able to get lazy and make lower-quality meals. This way your dwarves won't get priced out of every dining hall.

And speaking of classes, dwarves' preferences for particular foods and drinks should be related to those of their friends and coworkers. If the Count, with his associated Countly preference for 30-year-old Whiskey, is best friends with Urist McSerf the Peasant, then the peasant should be able to pick up the Count's interest in fine liquor. It should also be possible for the Count to get a taste for raw plump helmet, or at least *plump helmet biscuits* if they're masterwork. Higher-class dwarves, or at least those with a more refined palette, should want better quality versions of simple meals (or whatever), but still be able to like plain fare.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2010, 03:04:05 pm »

Reading over the class thread has got me thinking that a dining hall/cafeteria/tavern should have some kind of overall quality rating, based on the fanciness of meals and decor, and this should factor into the price of a meal when the economy (and possibly social classes) come into it.

If a cook is working in a low-quality cafeteria, they should be able to get lazy and make lower-quality meals. This way your dwarves won't get priced out of every dining hall.

And speaking of classes, dwarves' preferences for particular foods and drinks should be related to those of their friends and coworkers. If the Count, with his associated Countly preference for 30-year-old Whiskey, is best friends with Urist McSerf the Peasant, then the peasant should be able to pick up the Count's interest in fine liquor. It should also be possible for the Count to get a taste for raw plump helmet, or at least *plump helmet biscuits* if they're masterwork. Higher-class dwarves, or at least those with a more refined palette, should want better quality versions of simple meals (or whatever), but still be able to like plain fare.

I added a note to the Head Chef item that players should be allowed to set the menu for each Tavern.

I added the last suggestion into the Happy Thoughts section.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2010, 01:57:09 am »

How about booze coming in flavored variants?  In the real world almost all beers are flavored with hops, and before hops were used there were a variety of herbs and berries which were used.  Dwarven beer made with only cave wheat could be "sweet dwarven beer", cave wheat + cave hops = "dwarven beer", and so on.  Allowable flavors, their names and prices would (probably) have to be specified in the raws, rather than being randomly generated like food recipes.

Plus, dwarves could have a preference for for a type of booze and a particular flavor of that booze. "Urist McDrunkard like dwarven wine and especially likes bush quarry flavored dwarven wine".

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2010, 04:25:06 am »

All religions and nationalities have their own versions of "kosher" laws and food taboos. This might become more common when the religions are fleshed out more, but perhaps the followers of Dwarf God A would never dream of butchering a dog, while the followers of Dwarf God B would never eat a Plump Helmet based food or drink without the addition of a secondary ingredient. Happy thoughts would be generated or reversed by being allowed to conform to or being forced to reject these taboos, and a Grudge could be generated against those who transgress.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2010, 09:13:20 pm »

All religions and nationalities have their own versions of "kosher" laws and food taboos. This might become more common when the religions are fleshed out more, but perhaps the followers of Dwarf God A would never dream of butchering a dog, while the followers of Dwarf God B would never eat a Plump Helmet based food or drink without the addition of a secondary ingredient. Happy thoughts would be generated or reversed by being allowed to conform to or being forced to reject these taboos, and a Grudge could be generated against those who transgress.
I like the idea except for two modifications 1 not all religions/nationalities have dietary laws/food taboos -- only ones with enough resources to do so (excludes at least some of DF).  2 not all adhere to those laws/taboos so a less ardent worhipper should not care, while a more ardent worshiper would REALLY care -- perhaps to the extent of starving to death before eating vs. taboo.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2010, 04:55:11 pm »

roasted grains are edible and were even considered a treat so cooking roast grains may be a quick but cheap way to deal with dwarf wheat, longland grass etc.,
Some items should need to be cooked to be edible.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 05:01:23 pm by vadia »

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2010, 08:30:26 pm »

Potatoes aren't really edible until cooked.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2010, 11:25:46 pm »

I'll try and merge these in soon.

Muck root seems like it would be something inedible unless cooked.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2010, 10:54:44 pm »

How about booze coming in flavored variants?  In the real world almost all beers are flavored with hops, and before hops were used there were a variety of herbs and berries which were used.  Dwarven beer made with only cave wheat could be "sweet dwarven beer", cave wheat + cave hops = "dwarven beer", and so on.  Allowable flavors, their names and prices would (probably) have to be specified in the raws, rather than being randomly generated like food recipes.

Plus, dwarves could have a preference for for a type of booze and a particular flavor of that booze. "Urist McDrunkard like dwarven wine and especially likes bush quarry flavored dwarven wine".

I've merged this in with the Hot Drinks suggestion since that one already opened the possibility of "cooking" different drink types.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10