Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia - Round 17 - Game Over!  (Read 230037 times)

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia - Round 17 - Game Over!
« Reply #960 on: December 10, 2010, 11:26:07 pm »

I would just come back to life.

What if I outmaverick'd you and changed to Sarah Palin?

Let's not be hasty. Nobody really wants that.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 10, 2010, 11:33:55 pm »

I can't say I completely evaded the town's baleful eye, but I did manage to not accrue serious suspicion, at least.

Intel wasn't as much help as I thought it'd be- it mostly let me know what role threats there were, and whose claims I could believe.  (As it turned out, all of them.  I'm the only person whose role claim was BS.)

Zath, I was really hoping for the dopps to kill you off for me.  I'm rather surprised they didn't, but I guess they figured you were getting guard coverage.

Leaf, it seems to me like the Survivor usually dies too.  If I hadn't hit Dopp (and the block combo hadn't nailed them) I was figuring I could get you lynched as a danger to the town.   If it makes you feel better, I was planning to credit you with the Exty role.   :)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 11, 2010, 01:49:16 am »

Intel wasn't as much help as I thought it'd be- it mostly let me know what role threats there were, and whose claims I could believe.  (As it turned out, all of them.  I'm the only person whose role claim was BS.)
I only now realise that intel let you do a relatively safe fakeclaim as detective... too bad that you went for "they all told the truth", which seemed too convenient to be not scummy. Still, yes, I would have thought intel would be more useful.

Quote from: Toaster
Zath, I was really hoping for the dopps to kill you off for me.  I'm rather surprised they didn't, but I guess they figured you were getting guard coverage.
They tried on N3, but I blocked Arg, who was tasked with the kill (reading the dopp chat, I find it amusing that wuba decided not to kill because he was sure I would block him, we double-bluff'd each other all the way), and I was amply protected N3. They should have done it N2, after the Pandar lynch, when I was still under suspicion of being an alien and wasn't protected; though their choice of Mr.Person did make sense at the time, if they had hit me instead I would have died and Mr.P would have his "human" result on wuba... This, plus your auspicious offing of webadict, were the two things that sealed the dopps fate. Good riddance, scum!   8-P
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 11, 2010, 04:14:29 am »

Jim, I know I said this in the dead chat, but seriously, you not claiming Kook day 1 is, to me, a lynchable offense. I propose for the next game that everyone with a Mind Shield, Tech Shield, or Kook-iness claims on Day 1 or faces the gallows. There's no reason to hide it since those things have no impact on if you're a power role or not. Admittedly I lean a little heavily on policy lynches for relatively minor shit, but still, don't do that next game. I'll  bitch about this in the next game, too, just to make sure nobody forgets.

I'm more than willing to say that me policy lynching there would be a huge mistake, but then again, I made like a million of them this game. Good job to town and Aliens this game. There were a lot of good action plays Night 3 and even better deductions from those actions.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 11, 2010, 04:30:09 am »

I didn't want to get shit the whole game because of the role I got, and I didn't want to give the scum an easy excuse to suspect somebody. It would have inevitably resulted in my lynch at some point in the game, and since I was town that doesn't help anybody.

What would have it accomplished for me to claim Kook? You would've known who not to inspect, but why don't I just play a good town game and avoid that problem altogether?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 11, 2010, 04:32:28 am »

Quote from: Person
I propose for the next game that everyone with a Mind Shield, Tech Shield, or Kook-iness claims on Day 1 or faces the gallows.
While I don't really disagree, I can see why people wouldn't. In a sixteen people game, if only one claims Kook, unless he's played a stellar town game or there's an obviously scummier target, he's going to die that day, just in case he's protecting himself as a dopp against an inspection. Sure, if more than one does, it's not as dangerous, but that's prisoners' dilemma all over your face, plus there may be only one (as in this game), and the scum may wish to complicate matters.

Mind shield and anti-tech, even more complicated, since the first makes you a possible Ext, and the second warns all tech-users to go for someone else, so you may be lying to prevent you being policy-botted like Org...

So yes, I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think it's practical. Sadly.

PPE: Ninja'd by Kooky Jim.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 11, 2010, 05:16:04 am »

Hooray, my first mafia game is a win!  :)
Too bad I made such a mess out of it  :( Having to claim due to mass suspicion on my first day, which still left me likely to hang... Has anybody ever played worse?!  :'(

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 11, 2010, 05:19:23 am »

As far as I'm concerned, you still should of claimed it. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm going to give non-claimers a fuck of a lot more shit than the people who do claim such things. And seriously, if the town can't get over "Kook=scum!", then they're gonna lose anyways.

Zathras, you do realize that Exties can choose to start with either a Mind Shield or Anti-Tech Shield, right?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 11, 2010, 05:43:57 am »

Hooray, my first mafia game is a win!  :)
Too bad I made such a mess out of it  :( Having to claim due to mass suspicion on my first day, which still left me likely to hang... Has anybody ever played worse?!  :'(
You did OK. Not great, but OK. Far from "none worse", so no worries. Also, you should feel honoured, some of us have waited ages for a Paranormal town win, and you got one on your first shot... damn punk whippersnappers.... now get off my lawn!  8-P

You did good, man, don't sweat it; it was a tough position to be in, second replacement in for an inherently scummy role. You didn't make it much better, but managed to not make it worse, survived, and won, so feel proud of the victory, and keep playing. If anything, take home this lesson: be active! Inactivity kills games, and ruins them for the ones left!

Edited-to-add: you did make it better! If you hadn't claimed, we would have (of?) mislynched you instead of lynching Ottofar the scum, so your claim was both good strategy and successfully played, so KUDOS!

As far as I'm concerned, you still should of claimed it.
Should have. He should'VE claimed it, you mean. I know others have given you shit for that before, but the game's over and it's just us chickens now, so who cares. This game is about reading and writing, and you are good at it, but every time you say "of" instead of "have", or at least "'ve" (should've is perfectly fine), it makes my soul bleed a little; just like misusing loose, their, or its. Please, try to conjugate the few verbs that English mandates be conjugated. You should HAVE known better. But enough about that, I'll shut up now... unless you insist.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm going to give non-claimers a fuck of a lot more shit than the people who do claim such things. And seriously, if the town can't get over "Kook=scum!", then they're gonna lose anyways.
Do what you feel you must, and I insist that I agree with the sentiment, but I can't in good conscience condemn those who choose caution instead. We both may point to this conversation in the future so both pros and cons are laid out.

Zathras, you do realize that Exties can choose to start with either a Mind Shield or Anti-Tech Shield, right?
No, I don't. Exterminators are (as of now) guaranteed a Mind shield. They can choose to upgrade to an advanced one or get an anti-tech field (advanced or otherwise) as part of their tech choices (though small tech items require them to have an Op or a replicator). At least as far as I understand the rules:

Quote from: rules
Exterminator
    Race: Alien
    Goal: Kill
    Rules: The doppelganger infestation is a danger to the Alien's people, and it and all traces of it must be wiped from the Earth. The Alien kills one person a night. The Alien wins when they and thier Operative (if there is one) are the only ones left alive. The Exterminator always has a Mind Shield.
    Tech: 1 Medium and 1 Large Tech Slot
    Victory: All non-Exterminator aligned players are dead

...but I may be wrong, and I express confusion over this very point on the Paranormal Rules thread, so we can take that conversation there instead. Still, as far as I can tell, anyone who claims a Mindshield is just as likely to be Ext as anyone who claims Kook may be a dopp. It's WIFOM, all the way down. Yes, they should claim, but yes, they should be lynched for it, therefore, if they're town they shouldn't claim... but they should. Too bad it's not practical.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 06:51:55 am by Zathras »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 11, 2010, 07:59:59 am »

Well, if an Exty has an AMS, he can safely claim not to have one.  So lynching people with mindshields is a pretty stupid idea.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 11, 2010, 09:29:43 am »

Yeah, good game.

I could've been bit more out of the spotlight, if I hadn't had that electricity thingie, I think.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 11, 2010, 12:02:48 pm »

Zath  (and Meph):  The rules need to be updated, actually.  It's in the Paranormal rules discussion thread (and my role PM) that Exty can now choose mind shield or anti-tech.  I could have pointed that out for a bit of WIFOM, but I didn't want to risk drawing attention to me via it.

Arg never claimed his anti-tech field, either, and I don't recall Dariush claiming his.  I did know that if my scanner failed on someone, I would off them the next night- both of their roles were on my "To Kill" list.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 11, 2010, 12:31:07 pm »

I had Anti-Tech? ???

*looks over logs*

Oh hey, I had Anti-tech field and didn't even know about it :o

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: December 11, 2010, 02:52:40 pm »

Zath  (and Meph):  The rules need to be updated, actually.  It's in the Paranormal rules discussion thread (and my role PM) that Exty can now choose mind shield or anti-tech.  I could have pointed that out for a bit of WIFOM, but I didn't want to risk drawing attention to me via it.

Arg never claimed his anti-tech field, either, and I don't recall Dariush claiming his.  I did know that if my scanner failed on someone, I would off them the next night- both of their roles were on my "To Kill" list.

Yeah, I need to update that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: December 11, 2010, 07:03:58 pm »

Yay!  Good game all!  Glad to be of service to the town!

I probably learned more playing this game than any other I've played in.
Quote from: Argembarger
Plus Jim kind of scares me as a player. So there's that.

This pleases me immensely.

Remember,

I always know.
You scared me sometimes and I was town.

Sorry for sucking so bad, especially at first!  I'm lucky I didn't get lynched.  At least I learned a lot from it, and (hopefully) won't make those mistakes again!

I actually kinda feel bad for the dopps, with all the night kills and blocks they took.  You guys did good, especially under the circumstances.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66