Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is it just me or are goblins tough m*******s to kill?  (Read 2429 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Is it just me or are goblins tough m*******s to kill?
« on: November 12, 2010, 01:56:46 am »

So I was in the object testing arena, and I wanted to test out the effects of a steel battleaxe to the face of a goblin. I spawn myself with all steel gear and top stats, and a measly goblin with a copper short sword. I lash the goblin 20-25 times, being careful to not target his head, and he doesn't pass out. I then take a hammer and break half the bones in his body; not only does he not pass out, but he gets back up and starts to try and fight me again.

Finally, after another 30 turns of waiting and intermittent lashing, the goblin passes out from pain. I slash him in the throat with my axe, but it gets stuck in the wound and only the next turn, the goblin, who I will now refer to as Gobbo McBallsy, gets up, battleaxe still in his throat, and stumbles after still rearing for a fight. McBallsy proceeds to tear my battleaxe out of his own throat, and tries to slash at me with it. Unfortunately, my character auto-counters and lashes him in the head, tearing his brain and killing him instantly, so I didn't get to see whether or not he died from blood loss.

So, yes... goblins in the newer versions seem to have insanely high pain and blood loss thresholds; was this intended or is it just a bug?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 02:03:56 am by ThreeToe »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me or are goblins tough motherfuckers to kill?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 02:20:59 pm »

you failed to use the axe right, removeing limbs or cuting organs .
as for the hammer you can break evey bone in there body and it will not kill them.

in DF only failure of the circulatory system, the nervous system, the respiratory system or being smashed a part, will kill.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Baneslave

• Bay Watcher
  • Claymore Thrower Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 02:55:26 pm »

It is possible that that specific Goblin was just super tough.
[BUTCHERABLE_SIGNATURE]

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 03:10:37 pm »

It is possible, it just seems silly how the goblin can remain conscious after all that time.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 04:17:25 pm »

I've noticed through playing adventure mode that things seem to rarely pass out, even with tons of artery damage and limb severs. Makes fights last longer than they should, in my opinion, since the massive bonuses to combat only apply when they're fully unconscious.

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 09:36:25 pm »

A few things seem strange, but I haven't played adventure mode in ages, so I'm not sure if this is normal behavior, or only came with the most recent update.

Made a strong character, grabbed a human, jointlocked and broke both ankles, and he still kept getting up and walking basically unimpaired. With two broken ankles.

Then, yeah, stuff seems to take ages to bleed out now, and often bleeding even from major artery damage stops well before the opponent dies, sometimes without them even turning pale. Including when tearing off arms with bite attacks and the like.

And pain thresholds, as it has been mentioned, are very high as well. Removing all limbs from an elf, and the guy not passing out from pain is strange. He -eventually- bled to death, but he was conscious until almost the end.

In turn, something as simple as a syndrome which causes light bruising to whatever bodypart that was hit (I've been experimenting with creature attacks a bit) seems to make them black out rapidly and repeatedly.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 09:59:31 pm »

It's a normal DF behavior. That's why I've made the creatures to bleed 10-100x times more and increased the pain by 10 times. Now the combat is more brutal but more realistic (and still it takes at least two throat slashes to kill a normal guy).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 12:34:52 am »

It's a normal DF behavior. That's why I've made the creatures to bleed 10-100x times more and increased the pain by 10 times. Now the combat is more brutal but more realistic (and still it takes at least two throat slashes to kill a normal guy).
how did you do that?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 02:10:36 pm »

He is freakin Deon....hes magic  :P

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 03:09:24 pm »

He is freakin Deon....hes magic  :P

Careful, or he will increase your pain 10 times.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 04:13:29 pm »

To answer the question, you can increase the amounts and blood loss from wounds by going into the tissue_template_default file, and editing the pain and vascularity tags to your liking.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 05:48:57 pm »

I don't know what you guys are having problems with goblins for. I mangled a limb with a shortsword causing one to pass out, and shot another with a couple arrows, causing that one to pass out. One throat slice each later, with my trusty starting dagger, I'm two kills richer. This is all vanilla df adventure mode mind you. Maybe people are just badasses in arena mode?
3 <≡Vertex≡>
This is a exceptionally prepared stack of 3 vertex. It forms the shape of a triangle.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 06:45:48 pm »

you failed to use the axe right, removeing limbs or cuting organs .
in DF only failure of the circulatory system, the nervous system, the respiratory system or being smashed a part, will kill.
Using an ax to slice someone's throat qualifies for two of those.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 07:08:47 pm »

Its a bit odd though, massive blood loss and blows to the head don't cause people to pass out as often as it should, but if you actively strangle someone as a wrestler, they pass out without alot of effort.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Killing Time

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 10:56:15 pm »

I dunno about goblins, but elephants in vanilla pass out after a spear to the leg and die to one slash to the throat with a dagger.
It seems fitting for goblins to have supernatural tolerance for pain.
Pages: [1] 2