Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1135 1136 [1137] 1138 1139 ... 1571

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2302476 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #17040 on: April 30, 2016, 09:51:49 pm »

I played bloodbowl 2 and was immediately reminded why I quit playing.

My fresh lizardman team.  Worth 1000 points.   Their first match?  A chaos team worth somewhere around 2800 points.   It went as well as could be expected.  I lost 3-1.  My score was thanks to a very lucky skink that somehow managed to slip through my opponent's wall and get pushed into the goal by my opponent's attempt to stop it.

Other than that though it was a massacre. 4 of my players were injured or KO'd on the first TURN partially thanks to my opponent getting the kick off event that let them move into murdering range of my skinks before the game actually started.  I had hired two star players and both were seriously injured before the end of the first drive.

By the end of the match I had sustained ELEVEN casualties, and only had a single unconscious skink left on the pitch that had repeatedly resisted my opponent's attempts to 9 man foul it.  I had so many injuries the injuries bench overflowed into the KO'd Bench.

Then to top it all off, my reward for sticking it out was a 1 on the winnings roll and a dead guy got the bonus MVP XP.   I am literally better off making a new team.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17041 on: May 01, 2016, 05:54:32 am »

The stone giant beyond the white light in Darkroot Garden would have been a fairly easy fight... if he didn't have magic slowdown AoE bullshit.

To be fair, I encountered the moss-selling hollow in Undead Burg, so I knew some more status effects were going to be coming into play. I just didn't expect them to come in to play in a totally unrelated area.

Dark Souls.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #17042 on: May 01, 2016, 09:04:25 am »

I played bloodbowl 2 and was immediately reminded why I quit playing.

My fresh lizardman team.  Worth 1000 points.   Their first match?  A chaos team worth somewhere around 2800 points.   It went as well as could be expected.  I lost 3-1.  My score was thanks to a very lucky skink that somehow managed to slip through my opponent's wall and get pushed into the goal by my opponent's attempt to stop it.

Other than that though it was a massacre. 4 of my players were injured or KO'd on the first TURN partially thanks to my opponent getting the kick off event that let them move into murdering range of my skinks before the game actually started.  I had hired two star players and both were seriously injured before the end of the first drive.

By the end of the match I had sustained ELEVEN casualties, and only had a single unconscious skink left on the pitch that had repeatedly resisted my opponent's attempts to 9 man foul it.  I had so many injuries the injuries bench overflowed into the KO'd Bench.

Then to top it all off, my reward for sticking it out was a 1 on the winnings roll and a dead guy got the bonus MVP XP.   I am literally better off making a new team.

Is that game even any good?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #17043 on: May 01, 2016, 09:40:14 am »

You know those games where it's all in the luck? Just had one. Didn't draw a single card that was good in the situation. Holy Nova? Yeah, no minions on the board. Cult Master? Yeah, no minions on the board. Stormwind Champion? Yeah, no minions on the board.

And since most of my deck's synergy relies on putting minions down to draw cards like crazy and/or buff them, things went poorly.

Hearthstone.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17044 on: May 01, 2016, 10:44:48 am »

I used to find it enjoyable, I played bloodbowl 1 quite a bit, and it's based on a somewhat popular board game version of american football/rugby/soccer hybrid set in the warhammer fantasy universe. So the rules are the same in both.  Bloodbowl 2 just has a big facelift.

However I strongly suspect there is something seriously wrong with the rng they are using because this isn't the first (or second, or third) time I have come across a massive string of statistically unlikely bad dice rolls in a game.  Even against such a higher level team I should not have gotten nearly as many injuries as I did.  Every time they got a remotely solid hit against any of my guys it resulted in an armor break.  And while the chaos team is good at breaking armor, lizardman linemen don't exactly have paper armor.

Yea I expected to get wrecked, but my whole team being put on the injury roster was insanely unlikely, and then getting such terrible postgame rolls for mvp and winnings.  I would have just forfeit the match if I saw that as even a remote possibility.  That would have given up my winnings and MVP xp.  But at least I'd still have a team.

tl;dr it's a fun game when yer evenly matched and have a remote chance of winning.  When you get rng screwed on the first turn and are forced to play at least 4 players down from the outset, you don't care about the ball anymore, all you can do is try to stop the downward spiral, and that's not fun.  You can forfeit, but even a lost match gives you rewards, and forfeiting gives those up.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:54:46 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17045 on: May 01, 2016, 11:01:37 am »

The stone giant beyond the white light in Darkroot Garden would have been a fairly easy fight... if he didn't have magic slowdown AoE bullshit.

To be fair, I encountered the moss-selling hollow in Undead Burg, so I knew some more status effects were going to be coming into play. I just didn't expect them to come in to play in a totally unrelated area.

Dark Souls.
[obligatory snide comment about how turtling > dodgespam]
Black lives matter.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #17046 on: May 01, 2016, 11:02:06 am »

Try that in Bloodborne, I dare you.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17047 on: May 01, 2016, 11:07:55 am »

You should play bloodbarn than. :P
Being a copycat is hardly becoming of you, Twinwolf.
Black lives matter.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17048 on: May 01, 2016, 12:20:21 pm »

I used to find it enjoyable, I played bloodbowl 1 quite a bit, and it's based on a somewhat popular board game version of american football/rugby/soccer hybrid set in the warhammer fantasy universe. So the rules are the same in both.  Bloodbowl 2 just has a big facelift.

However I strongly suspect there is something seriously wrong with the rng they are using because this isn't the first (or second, or third) time I have come across a massive string of statistically unlikely bad dice rolls in a game.  Even against such a higher level team I should not have gotten nearly as many injuries as I did.  Every time they got a remotely solid hit against any of my guys it resulted in an armor break.  And while the chaos team is good at breaking armor, lizardman linemen don't exactly have paper armor.

Yea I expected to get wrecked, but my whole team being put on the injury roster was insanely unlikely, and then getting such terrible postgame rolls for mvp and winnings.  I would have just forfeit the match if I saw that as even a remote possibility.  That would have given up my winnings and MVP xp.  But at least I'd still have a team.

tl;dr it's a fun game when yer evenly matched and have a remote chance of winning.  When you get rng screwed on the first turn and are forced to play at least 4 players down from the outset, you don't care about the ball anymore, all you can do is try to stop the downward spiral, and that's not fun.  You can forfeit, but even a lost match gives you rewards, and forfeiting gives those up.

To be fair, if they had Claw/MB (which they did at 2800 TV), Saurii absolutely do have paper armour, same as every other player in the game against that combo. And it's an awkward matchup, because Saurii can't dodge away from marks, and you won't be outbashing Chaos at that TV difference, so you tend to get flattened. And then their one Tackle player starts Skink hunting...

That said, you might want to hold off for a week before trying again. The next patch (delayed for something like 2 months now) is bringing Norse and the new TV++ matchmaking system, which will hard-cap the largest TV difference (so a 1000 vs 2800 literally can't happen) and add a scaling TV modifier based on win/loss (so matchups should, in theory, be more fair... if it works the way Cyanide hopes it does...). It should be released later this week.  :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:26:05 pm by Thexor »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17049 on: May 01, 2016, 03:32:15 pm »

What gets me is the randomness aspect--there's just so much RNG that even the most basic of victories seem entirely tedious and mind numbing.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17050 on: May 01, 2016, 03:54:50 pm »

After I began to run low on food, I arrived at a river. I can't remember which one, but it was almost a thousand feet across and over 20 feet deep. Fording it would have obviously been impossible, and I didn't want to risk caulking the wagon, but to take the ferry I would have had to wait for 5 days and I didn't want to lose all the food that my party members would eat in that time. I essentially threw up my hands and attempted to float the wagon across on my own. Almost immediately, the wagon tipped over. Everyone in my party drowned except for one person.

Rest in pepperoni, ASS, BITCH, SHIT and COCK. You were the best.

Oregon Trail

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17051 on: May 01, 2016, 04:09:59 pm »

Blighttown! What fun!
I've found the enemies and tiny platforms really aren't as annoying as getting incurable poison every two seconds, and even that's solvable.

Dark Souls
Black lives matter.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17052 on: May 01, 2016, 04:45:50 pm »

Blighttown! What fun!
I've found the enemies and tiny platforms really aren't as annoying as getting incurable poison every two seconds, and even that's solvable.

Dark Souls

I've skipped the top half of Blighttown with the Master Key all but once and I've never regretted it.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #17053 on: May 01, 2016, 05:49:52 pm »

My copy of GTA: SA crashes when I try to launch the Hydra's countermeasures.

"Launch Countermeasures" is bound to the Left Alt and Left Mouse Button.

Guess one of the first things I did the very first time I got the Hydra.

EDIT: Drivers going nuts from the sound of gunfire and running me or important characters over is also pretty bad.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 06:07:48 pm by AzyWng »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17054 on: May 01, 2016, 09:38:30 pm »

If Sen's personal hell isn't the first room of his stupid Fortress (because it's the only fucking one I've seen) I will personally kick whoever organizes such hells in the balls.

Dark Souls
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 1135 1136 [1137] 1138 1139 ... 1571