Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26

Author Topic: Kobold Camp (Version 1.51 for DF 34.11, last update 07/01/2012)  (Read 104740 times)

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp (KC ver 1.253, for DF 31.25 last update 4/20)
« Reply #195 on: September 05, 2011, 08:36:39 am »

also i got attacked after my second caravan, woulda been fine if it weren't a fire giant. but as it was almost all my kobolds died and the ones that are left are the useless job ones unable to do anything and they are tantruming like crazy. i think it went well for my first attack ever tho, i havn't even been attacked playing dwarfs yet. 9196 total wealth. and a population of around 15ish.
also i made a wooden fort with a large trap tunnel, if you cant dig it you can always build it :P
also i'v never seen a landscape so chared xD

also it might be stuff you have fixed if you updated the mod within the last week or so.
you should keep a list of your latest changes somewhere.

also kobolds wont dump stuff properly
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 08:50:01 am by Xotano »
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 05, 2011, 03:50:47 pm »

also i got attacked after my second caravan, woulda been fine if it weren't a fire giant. but as it was almost all my kobolds died and the ones that are left are the useless job ones unable to do anything and they are tantruming like crazy. i think it went well for my first attack ever tho, i havn't even been attacked playing dwarfs yet. 9196 total wealth. and a population of around 15ish.
also i made a wooden fort with a large trap tunnel, if you cant dig it you can always build it :P
also i'v never seen a landscape so chared xD

also it might be stuff you have fixed if you updated the mod within the last week or so.
you should keep a list of your latest changes somewhere.

also kobolds wont dump stuff properly

Looks like something messed up this release, as whatever I did, the jobs do seem messed up. It's odd that I didn't notice it, but it seems to have fixed itself on the progress to the next version. The inability to dump items is new, I'll look into that.

As for a list of my latest changes somewhere, there an entire changelog in the KC readme, AND the last 5 or so versions on the first post.

Weaselcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 20, 2011, 08:51:57 pm »

What are all the features in this mod? I'm finding the OP kind of vague. :/

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2011, 08:22:04 am »

it adds a few workshops and makes all your fortress mode maps played as kobolds instead of dwarfs, you cant dig into stone, mostly its just a challenge, only metal from trades so you mostly have to use wood/bone/shell equipment.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 13, 2011, 04:02:46 pm »

Can we have an ASCII version? Ironhand is not my thing.

Edit: I just found out that the Kobold graphics are not the original of Ironhand (I guess). I don't want to mock your art, but these fluffy and happy looking bunnies doesn't seem to fit into the dark and depressing world of DF. I had to change them on my own just to be able to play the mod. Now they look dim and moody like the world that surrounds them.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 09:29:58 am by Zwerg »

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 14, 2011, 04:53:08 pm »

Edit: I just found out that the Kobold graphics are not the original of Ironhand (I guess). I don't want to mock your art, but these fluffy and happy looking bunnies doesn't seem to fit into the dark and depressing world of DF. I had to change them on my own just to be able to play the mod. Now they look dim and moody like the world that surrounds them.

There's two Kobold graphics included in the download.  I agree with you about the default; they are rather cute and I find that not to match the way I imagine my DF worlds.  However, Haggle's Kobolds are not as cute. I use them when I play Kobold Camp.  The readme will elaborate on how to change the graphics.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 14, 2011, 05:13:01 pm »

Fair point. Along with offering haggle's as an alternative, I'll also try to seperate ironhand's kobolds as well (as I get the impression with that edit that it wasn't ironhand in general that wasn't your thing, but the kobolds themselves that were the issue) for those who don't like the mismatch. Personally it doesn't throw me off, as despite how cute they look, it doesn't make them immune from the darker world around them, but hey, the key word is personally.

Although an ascii version is far from difficult to throw on, so I may offer that next version as well. I'm currently in the middle of rebuilding the entire mod, as lately I've gotten back into it, but the game has crashed on me inexplicably and frequently without so much as a letter in the errorlog. I'm also going to try to trim it back, because whether by change of design or recent versions, some of the reactions have become redundant.

Oh, and as a little FYI, I actually didn't make the graphics. I may test my hand at adding a few sprites to fit the new professions like bee keeper/presser and all that, but otherwise I can't take credit for a single pixel.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 14, 2011, 06:11:06 pm »

Downloading, as I am bored of waiting for Deon to update his graphics versions of Genesis.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp (KC ver 1.3, for DF 31.25 last update 10/19/2011)
« Reply #203 on: October 19, 2011, 10:49:10 am »

And after X number of months of nothing, I finally got 1.3 up. It's definitely a bigger change than most other updates, though in some ways, it also peels back several things.

No more mining through any standard stone at all, though you can still get through gem veins. To get to them though, you have to get exceedingly lucky, or embark on top of a cave for all sorts of FUN. It's a real easy thing to change, see the readme for details, this sort of kobold camp specific options are in the readme's first section.

That's the big thing, otherwise, this is a whole lot of refining of what I already had. Lots of reactions were removed, because either were redundant, or became so when I added in the rest of the jobs. Lots of reactions were fixed, including the training.

Oh, and farming wood, that's a big one too. Finally got that working as it should; the seeds you get for harvesting are actually plantable now.

All in all, it's more reminiscent of how it was (intended) to be played back in 40d, surface level kobolds, arguably with some (or a lot) of tunnels dug through soil.

Oh, and I finally got dwarves to trade with kobolds. I'm pretty happy about that. So while you won't get more stone than you know what to do with, you will be able to get a decent supply of valuable metals.

Just remember that kobolds can make full use of mechanisms, and you're best off using them. Goblins will still hate you. And in your rush to chop down the whole forest to wall off and trap everything in goblin defense, the elves will probably hate you too and make you chop down even more trees ironically. The point is, kobold military is still just horrible. I upped the size of a kobold, but only because they were, for whatever reason, incredibly tiny before. They're still small (40000 compared to a dwarven 60000 or human 70000.) With training reactions working correctly, you can get decent skill in a reasonable amount of time in a weapon of choice. I may add shield/armor/whatever training as well later on.

As for known issues, I can't seem to get the newer professions working with default/peasant tiles. I may just make those 6 or 7 new sprites and see if I can't get them working that way. I did switch to Haggle's graphics, as that collection had more entries than the original sheet.

Oh, and despite game years of playtesting, I had little luck in the way of critter remains, and so I haven't been able to properly test critter kitchen reactions. Altar reactions don't work as intended (and are rather broken in the imbalance sense), so those are taken out for the time. Failed rituals didn't hurt the kobolds, and kobolds were able to do rituals with choy toys and toy hammers, rather than just wood/bone fetishes.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 12:07:15 pm by Lagotrope »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 20, 2011, 04:53:40 am »

Question: can they collect clay? Also, I'm kind of interested in your experiences with carnivorous creatures vs kitchen- did you have to change anything so they can eat honey products, or it's just mead?

Also, if you cook prepared foods, or gather plants, do military kobold fill their backpacks those despite being unable to eat them?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 20, 2011, 09:45:37 am »

Question: can they collect clay? Also, I'm kind of interested in your experiences with carnivorous creatures vs kitchen- did you have to change anything so they can eat honey products, or it's just mead?

Also, if you cook prepared foods, or gather plants, do military kobold fill their backpacks those despite being unable to eat them?

Assuming nothing is glitching out, they are able to collect clay and mold it freely, acting as their manner of stone in many ways.

I'm not too positive how honey is seen, and I haven't changed anything about it. It likely is just mead. However, and this goes with cooked prepared foods, if prepared foods have ANY meat in it, the kobolds will eat it (it's been awhile since this has been confirmed, but it should still be the same.) So it could be 3 parts plant, 1 part meat, and they'll still eat the whole thing. Otherwise, it's just for mead, like the plants are just for drinks (or thread or wood.)

I'm assuming that military kobolds seek food with the same AI they use to eat food, and so this should be the same. Admittedly whenever I activate military I need them ASAP, and so don't have them gather food/drink, so I can't confirm this with confidence, either.

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 20, 2011, 01:17:35 pm »

Fair point. Along with offering haggle's as an alternative, I'll also try to seperate ironhand's kobolds as well (as I get the impression with that edit that it wasn't ironhand in general that wasn't your thing, but the kobolds themselves that were the issue) for those who don't like the mismatch. Personally it doesn't throw me off, as despite how cute they look, it doesn't make them immune from the darker world around them, but hey, the key word is personally...

To change the main tileset isn't that hard. I did that, but ended up with the default kobold graphics. Beside of the aesthetical reason, the even bigger problem is that both of them are more into details and fancy looks than into convenience. I can't distinguish them without taking a closer look. they all look almost the same with a different small tool in their hand. The colors aren't contrasty.
I prefer the simple "yellow Dwarf cuts wood and makes woodstuff" thing.

After some research I found a screenshot of an old version. I'd love to have simple and convenient graphics like that (but I know how the most people here think about that).

Here:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/397/welcomekoboldrivergg3.gif/

(I forgot how to insert a picture)

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:34:05 pm by Zwerg »

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 20, 2011, 02:02:26 pm »

Insert pictures with the Insert Image option.
Code: [Select]
[img][/img]Great mod for a challenge.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 20, 2011, 11:30:30 pm »

Assuming nothing is glitching out, they are able to collect clay and mold it freely, acting as their manner of stone in many ways.

An important point is that Kobolds can not embark with fire-safe materials (when I last played) and thus can not build kilns. Is there another way for them to fire clay?

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 21, 2011, 11:57:40 am »

An important point is that Kobolds can not embark with fire-safe materials (when I last played) and thus can not build kilns. Is there another way for them to fire clay?

Odd, they've been able to embark with just about anything (even anvils) initially for the last several tests I've done. It can depend a lot on world-gen factors, so unless it happens repeatedly over and over again, that one time you tried may have been a fluke.

Even so, caravans should still have fire safe materials. If not kobolds, then humans or dwarves, which with any good luck will trade with you. Or in bad luck, siege you instead. If none of that works, then I would say that that world-gen was in full 'screw kobolds' mode. If it KEEPS happening, then let me know, because that would be strange and wrong.

To change the main tileset isn't that hard. I did that, but ended up with the default kobold graphics. Beside of the aesthetical reason, the even bigger problem is that both of them are more into details and fancy looks than into convenience. I can't distinguish them without taking a closer look. they all look almost the same with a different small tool in their hand. The colors aren't contrasty.
I prefer the simple "yellow Dwarf cuts wood and makes woodstuff" thing.

After some research I found a screenshot of an old version. I'd love to have simple and convenient graphics like that (but I know how the most people here think about that).

Here:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/397/welcomekoboldrivergg3.gif/

(I forgot how to insert a picture)

The addition of color tones is a good idea. I'll see if I can't get that working, and if it looks alright with the tileset, will add that in.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26