Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26

Author Topic: Kobold Camp (Version 1.51 for DF 34.11, last update 07/01/2012)  (Read 105015 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Kobold Camp (KC version 1.4, for DF 34.01 last update 02/18/2012)
« Reply #240 on: February 21, 2012, 12:40:20 pm »

Hmmm... I can't seem to find Bone Armor in this new version.  Was it taken out before and I just missed that?
It's probally a simple fix, just goto "item_(armor types).txt" and add [BARRED] to desired armor parts you wish was made from bone (or was it [SCALED]? No thats for shell)

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 21, 2012, 12:47:40 pm »

I would like to ask if I can merge this into my Mod? I want to make kobolds playable as well as Dwarves and Humans. And you have the style I like them to be played as.

Sure, you're welcome to do that.

Hmmm... I can't seem to find Bone Armor in this new version.  Was it taken out before and I just missed that?

Nope. That's odd, I figured that if anything like that wouldn't work in the new version, the errorlog would have a hernia over it, but there wasn't anything like it (unless I just missed that.)
I'll investigate that one at some point, but as long as it doesn't crash the game or something obscene, I suppose there just won't be any bone armor for awhile.

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #242 on: February 21, 2012, 12:50:31 pm »

It looks as though item_armor_kobold is missing from the objects folder.  That would probably explain it.  No big deal not to have it for a little bit!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 21, 2012, 01:15:19 pm »

I would like to ask if I can merge this into my Mod? I want to make kobolds playable as well as Dwarves and Humans. And you have the style I like them to be played as.

Thank you, Do I credit you? Or just post a link to here? The download has alot of names in it's own credits. So just curious.

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 21, 2012, 01:18:40 pm »

It looks as though item_armor_kobold is missing from the objects folder.  That would probably explain it.  No big deal not to have it for a little bit!

You know, compiling it, I noticed that armor file missing, but figured I just moved it somewhere else. I'm not sure where it would've gone, but yeah, that would do it. I'll need to find where that file went, since for some reason the previous version is missing too (or at least it is on my own copy.)

Thank you, Do I credit you? Or just post a link to here? The download has alot of names in it's own credits. So just curious.

I can't say I'm sure which one's appropriate, so perhaps just a link, though I don't think anyone would flip out seeing my name alone. Whatever you think is best, really, since I'm fuzzy on it myself.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 21, 2012, 01:27:27 pm »

Alright Link it is, Thanks again.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 21, 2012, 06:21:34 pm »

You should find a way to make it so the bolds can rise up as necromancers, vampires, and werecreatures in worldgen. Because that would be hilarious.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 21, 2012, 09:53:07 pm »

Glad to see the new version, even if it's still being polished. I generated a few worlds of my own, experimenting with some quick raw modding of my own to the vanilla kobolds. I got the starvation problem quite a bit, but that issue seemed to fix itself when I set kobolds to build cities as their default site. Just thought I'd let you harder core players know. EDIT: Looked at the new raws. Seems you already knew.

From what I read in legends, kobolds can become vampires (usually by being cursed by a god, since I set them as Religion:Pantheon), and can become lycanthropes. One world of mine featured a dwarven weredeer who really got around, infecting a lot of kobolds.

One thing that was kind of sad in my legends: Kobolds can almost become necromancers. A kobold can become obsessed with his mortality, be taught the secrets of life and death, and write books, but they won't be listed as necromancers, and they'll still die of old age. I've seen a couple cases where a kobold becomes a master to his kobold student and back. One took on a human student who became a necromancer. That particular kobold wrote "Victory and the Kobold" as his first book, along with other kobold-related literature, but after training his human apprentice, he started writing about humans a lot before dying of old age. I could really feel the sad envy.

I'm certainly curious what gets in the way of their necromancy.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:04:43 pm by Bronze Dog »
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold
« Reply #248 on: February 21, 2012, 10:12:05 pm »

Here is the file itself if you don't currently have it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Would adding it back in to an existing save be possible or not really?  I tried putting it into the save's raw folder, but am not seeing it as an option in any of the workshops.  Of course, it could be I have the wrong shop as well!

Lagotrope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 22, 2012, 07:32:00 am »

Here is the file itself if you don't currently have it:

Would adding it back in to an existing save be possible or not really?  I tried putting it into the save's raw folder, but am not seeing it as an option in any of the workshops.  Of course, it could be I have the wrong shop as well!

Thank you, I'll put it back in and patch it soon enough. As for adding to an existing save, it looks like you may need to add the reactions to the skulking entity. Which is incredibly strange; I figured I could lose a file over a clerical mistake, but it's like the specific snippits of armor reactions were taken out.

And so were the specific buildings. I'm at a complete loss, I have recollection, nor idea why I would, remove those things.

Glad to see the new version, even if it's still being polished. I generated a few worlds of my own, experimenting with some quick raw modding of my own to the vanilla kobolds. I got the starvation problem quite a bit, but that issue seemed to fix itself when I set kobolds to build cities as their default site. Just thought I'd let you harder core players know. EDIT: Looked at the new raws. Seems you already knew.

From what I read in legends, kobolds can become vampires (usually by being cursed by a god, since I set them as Religion:Pantheon), and can become lycanthropes. One world of mine featured a dwarven weredeer who really got around, infecting a lot of kobolds.

One thing that was kind of sad in my legends: Kobolds can almost become necromancers. A kobold can become obsessed with his mortality, be taught the secrets of life and death, and write books, but they won't be listed as necromancers, and they'll still die of old age. I've seen a couple cases where a kobold becomes a master to his kobold student and back. One took on a human student who became a necromancer. That particular kobold wrote "Victory and the Kobold" as his first book, along with other kobold-related literature, but after training his human apprentice, he started writing about humans a lot before dying of old age. I could really feel the sad envy.

I'm certainly curious what gets in the way of their necromancy.

That is pretty sad, yeah. Good story, but I do believe I will let them have necromancy. It has been done and there is a post for it, so it'll be done as well as fixing this anomaly of purged armor stuffs.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 22, 2012, 09:38:34 am »

Yeah, I genned a world after my post and was pleased to see a kobold necromancer tower, and there were confirmed kobold necromancers.

Notable books:
"Victory and the Kobold"
"Can the Kobold Save the World?"
"The Kobold is My Life"
"The Kobold and Nothing Else"
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 22, 2012, 04:10:41 pm »

Not sure why you'd reduce their lifespan to 1/10 of what it originally was, but I recommend making 'bolds fast learners so they can make the most of those years. If only for weapon and survival skills (dodging), since fighterbolds really don't make it very far in the field of combat. In the event you ever actually did manage to get a legendary fighterbold at the normal rate of learning (and in spite of the total squishiness of kobolds), he'd almost certainly be dead of old age after a few years :P
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:16:06 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 22, 2012, 04:47:10 pm »

It was a little disconcerting seeing all the short lifespans in my KC world's Legends, but I think it's appropriate. Seeing a lot of them die of old age was more reassuring than starvation, thankfully. Despite the relative peaceful "Golden Age" over the world, the biggest kobold civ was in a decline: Humans repeatedly declaring war over the use of torture, and elves repeatedly declaring war over trees. Oddly, one thing I started noticing on the war summaries was that the kobolds were fighting alongside trolls in those wars.

Short lifespans are probably going to contribute quite a lot to the number of dead historical figures when I generate an old (1050 years) world today. I'll be curious to see how well the little guys endure over that span.

EDIT: Dangit! Now I'm getting crashes about a century or two into world gen, and I can't figure out what I messed up. Tried loading the standalone raws on top of vanilla DF's and it crashed again.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:06:41 pm by Bronze Dog »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 23, 2012, 06:10:30 pm »

I would assume this should work for 34.02 as well, but might as well ask just in case.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 23, 2012, 06:18:40 pm »

An update on my buggy status: It world gen crashes once, all world gens will crash until I restart my laptop.

I got up to year 1028 in that old world gen, and I didn't get to look much, but there was at least one kobold hamlet that was focused on near the crash. So, the little guys can survive, though I don't know how big their place in the world will be.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26