Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 621858 times)

Ktalyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2010, 05:40:13 pm »

When I abandon my fortress, aren't the dwarves supposed to die? When I visit my old fortress they are still there.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2010, 08:25:41 pm »

I also have a question!

I know that animals can be trained in Dwarf Fortress mode, but what about Adventure? Is there some way to befriend a wild animal, or some place to purchase one as a pet? If not, that should really be added as a feature....

vipre01

• Bay Watcher
  • asdf
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2010, 08:27:45 pm »

I also have a question!

I know that animals can be trained in Dwarf Fortress mode, but what about Adventure? Is there some way to befriend a wild animal, or some place to purchase one as a pet? If not, that should really be added as a feature....

Simple answer, no, but supposedly there's a plan to implement mounts and livestock for your adventurer's "camp."

dpg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2010, 12:15:17 pm »

edit: the last 2 hours I was building up a new human, let him wrestle his way up to legendary, tried a few things to raise weaponskill, bought some nice stuff... then thought that swimming would build up agility nicley... then the fucking pool froze. At least I found a couple ways to improve..

Question: What am I doing wrong?
I recently started playing Adventure Mode. The latest release of the Lazy noob pack.
At first I started as hero, spent my points in str/agi/endu/toughness/a little in spatial/misc (I tuned down all the irrelevant skills such as musician, linguistics, etc)
For skills I chose swordsman/armor/shield/dodger/fighter/swimmer

Pretty straight forward.

The adventure started out fine, I did a couple quests, hired a couple mercs and set off into the distance.
I then got brutally murdered by a goblin crossbow man I didn't even see on screen. His bolt ripped through me, stunning me and then finishing me off.

I tried the same skills with exactly the same outcome. 4 - 6 quests, then sudden death after beeing unable to hit some Sahdowmonster for a couple turns.

I then tried demigod, invested the points in a similar matter and was, once again, this time a little later in game, slaughtered by a shadowmonster with a copper dirk. One turn I'm fine, next turn I'm in pain, bleeding, next turn I'm dead.

I know dying is a part of this game and I have no objections to this. Bus this seems kinda weird. Even in easymode (dmigod) with a sword (even more easy).

I noticed that I had big problems with hitting an enemy, most of them dodged, even on ground. I also noticed at some point that I hada shitload of crap in my hands. Does this have a negative effect on fighting (I promptly "p"ut them in my backpack)? I wasn't overloaded though and wore pretty decent gear in mostly all of my games until now. (at least I wore everything I found and didn't drop any vital armor piece)

So... am I missing something? Should I consider doing only certain quests from certain sources (fort/town/... if it even matters?), should I hunt wildlife or raise my skills in any other way?

As far as the basics go, I read the wiki articles, I am allways doing aimed attacks wich are easy/square or are marked as opportunistic (I think those are the, at least in LNP, attacks marked with a light blue exclamation mark).

cheers x
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 06:10:21 pm by dpg »

sirquote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2010, 10:58:26 pm »

edit: the last 2 hours I was building up a new human, let him wrestle his way up to legendary, tried a few things to raise weaponskill, bought some nice stuff... then thought that swimming would build up agility nicley... then the fucking pool froze. At least I found a couple ways to improve..

Question: What am I doing wrong?
I recently started playing Adventure Mode. The latest release of the Lazy noob pack.
At first I started as hero, spent my points in str/agi/endu/toughness/a little in spatial/misc (I tuned down all the irrelevant skills such as musician, linguistics, etc)
For skills I chose swordsman/armor/shield/dodger/fighter/swimmer

Pretty straight forward.

The adventure started out fine, I did a couple quests, hired a couple mercs and set off into the distance.
I then got brutally murdered by a goblin crossbow man I didn't even see on screen. His bolt ripped through me, stunning me and then finishing me off.

I tried the same skills with exactly the same outcome. 4 - 6 quests, then sudden death after beeing unable to hit some Sahdowmonster for a couple turns.

I then tried demigod, invested the points in a similar matter and was, once again, this time a little later in game, slaughtered by a shadowmonster with a copper dirk. One turn I'm fine, next turn I'm in pain, bleeding, next turn I'm dead.

I know dying is a part of this game and I have no objections to this. Bus this seems kinda weird. Even in easymode (dmigod) with a sword (even more easy).

I noticed that I had big problems with hitting an enemy, most of them dodged, even on ground. I also noticed at some point that I hada shitload of crap in my hands. Does this have a negative effect on fighting (I promptly "p"ut them in my backpack)? I wasn't overloaded though and wore pretty decent gear in mostly all of my games until now. (at least I wore everything I found and didn't drop any vital armor piece)

So... am I missing something? Should I consider doing only certain quests from certain sources (fort/town/... if it even matters?), should I hunt wildlife or raise my skills in any other way?

As far as the basics go, I read the wiki articles, I am allways doing aimed attacks wich are easy/square or are marked as opportunistic (I think those are the, at least in LNP, attacks marked with a light blue exclamation mark).

cheers x
No one can escape death, that's what makes this game unique. 

Its really about playing to find out how you die.  Truly :)

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2010, 01:35:12 am »

He's right. You're not doing anything "wrong", it's just how the game goes, though it might be wise to use sneaking to avoid being killed from off-screen. Also, just because someone isn't on your current screen doesn't necessarily mean they're not in you character's view: try [l]ooking around, varying the z-level and checking what might not fit on one screen (in broad daylight the ends of your view often end up off-screen).

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2010, 02:28:26 pm »

What's a good way to end a fort that i mainly made to produce high quality steel and adamantine equip for my dorf adventurer?

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2010, 08:04:19 pm »

What's a good way to start out skill/stat wise for a Peasent?  While I know Hero/Demigod make it easier... this is Dorf Fortress and I like starting as a Peasent!

I typically start with points into Agility, Strength, and Toughness and skills I put points in Ambush, Fighter, Armor user, Shield User, Swimmer, and some kind of weapon (usually sword).  However with this set-up I manage to find new and interesting ways to get killed on my way to my first quest, usually in the way of a wolf or swarms of Boogiemen.  I even keep the wiki up for reference and ideas and I still find new and interesting ways to die. :\
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2010, 08:22:58 pm »

Okay... I know you can tan hides with a scraper, which I assume is made with those rocks via knapping skill, but I can't find a rock! I find plenty of pebbles lying around, but those apparently don't work. I'mm wondering if those "small blunt rocks" exist at all. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2010, 11:14:12 pm »

Okay... I know you can tan hides with a scraper, which I assume is made with those rocks via knapping skill, but I can't find a rock! I find plenty of pebbles lying around, but those apparently don't work. I'mm wondering if those "small blunt rocks" exist at all. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

If you see something on the ground like "__ pebbles", then when you [g]et it from the ground it will be a "small __ rock".  Also, I assume you're using a mod, since it's impossible to tan hides or make scrapers in unmodded DF.

The Strangla

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 22, 2010, 11:16:07 pm »

What's a good way to start out skill/stat wise for a Peasent?  While I know Hero/Demigod make it easier... this is Dorf Fortress and I like starting as a Peasent!

I typically start with points into Agility, Strength, and Toughness and skills I put points in Ambush, Fighter, Armor user, Shield User, Swimmer, and some kind of weapon (usually sword).  However with this set-up I manage to find new and interesting ways to get killed on my way to my first quest, usually in the way of a wolf or swarms of Boogiemen.  I even keep the wiki up for reference and ideas and I still find new and interesting ways to die. :\

Hiya, Here is my startup approach in peasant mode. 0.31.18.   

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2010, 02:42:11 am »

Do you have an unsharpened rock in each hand?

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2010, 10:13:48 am »

Aha!

That was it. I just needed a rock in each hand. Thanks for the tip, Knigel. Now Urist McKnapper will have no trouble tanning hides.

And I have ANOTHER question. Sorry to seem like an ass asking all of these, but I need an answer to this one.
If you're playing as a dwarf, is there an specific way to activate martial trance? I've done it a few times, but it happened automatically. Is there any requirement you need in order to activate it?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:05:39 am by Nighthawk »

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2010, 11:13:47 am »

If you're playing as a dwarf, is there an specific way to activate martial trance? I've done it a few times, but it happened automatically. Is there any requirement you need in order to activate it?

I think you need to have a lot of enemies near you, and you may need to be surrounded.  I'm not sure exactly what the cutoff for "a lot of enemies" is, but I think the lower limit is 3-4.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:35:51 pm by minno »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2010, 11:43:06 am »

It's actually a really cool feature, being able to destroy large groups of enemies when you're in trouble. One of the many perks of being a dwarf, eh? Thanks for the quick answer.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 327