Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 621903 times)

LittleQuick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1515 on: October 16, 2013, 11:53:41 am »

Question: I have just recently really got into the whole Adventurer thing. But I'm stumped with this baddie in the sewer thing. The whole city is on hilly terrain so everything is hard to see, I found one sewer entrance but it is a dead end. When following the compass or whatever I get to the spot where it says my quest should be I literally just spent like 20 minutes searching this area back and forth, is this where his sewer entrance is? OR is it where one of the sewers should end up to get to him?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: October 16, 2013, 12:47:19 pm »

Try the castle keep.  There is typically a  sewer access there, and lord only knows how far that goes.  They get BIG, the enemies respawn if you sleep, and it takes you into different biome occasionally.  You may start out in the plain, but it travel under hills.

And the creatures.  Ive seen all kinds of fun down there, from outcasts to trolls, to kobolds.

So, the castle has the noble, free loot, and sewer access.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: October 16, 2013, 01:22:14 pm »

Temples (catacombs) usually have more direct route to the sewers. There are also sometimes multiple sewer entrances.

If you want to cheat, use DFHack's reveal command. It's very helpful.

LittleQuick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: October 16, 2013, 02:14:40 pm »

Thank you guys so much, I am going to go look through the nearby castle then! Haha.
I installed DFHack improperly I think, cause the second menu doesn't pop up and I was inable to over write the original... I don't really know what it's called, the Dwarf Fortress like run.exe thing. Sorry for the vague description..

Another question: Alone, I know I am a total noob but my followers don't really let me get any hits in. I fear that we will eventually not outnumber everyone and I will be a liability. Literally the last three skirmishes we got into I didn't get close enough. I was also wondering why they move so much faster than me. My speed is a lowly like 200-300 most of the time. Should I drop food? I think I might have a lot of it...

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: October 16, 2013, 06:50:12 pm »

Temples (catacombs) usually have more direct route to the sewers. There are also sometimes multiple sewer entrances.

If you want to cheat, use DFHack's reveal command. It's very helpful.

I am considering getting DFHack just so I can reveal underground areas to travel them more effectively.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: October 17, 2013, 04:39:44 am »

Another question: Alone, I know I am a total noob but my followers don't really let me get any hits in. I fear that we will eventually not outnumber everyone and I will be a liability. Literally the last three skirmishes we got into I didn't get close enough. I was also wondering why they move so much faster than me. My speed is a lowly like 200-300 most of the time. Should I drop food? I think I might have a lot of it...

Don't worry about outnumbering everyone. Ambushes scale with the companion number.I believe it's something like "two ambushers per one companion". I once took twenty companions with my legendary hero and got ambushed by at least ~50 goblins. Twenty of them were bowmen. Pretty bloody.

Speed of 200-300 is just too low. I mean, it's like terribly slow. If it is your standing non-sneaking speed, you'll need to worry. Do you have full metal armour? If so, train armor using. Don't carry around anything you don't need. I usually use two backbacks (or a backback and bag). In the other I have my essential survival supplies - which means a little food (20 units max), maybe a crutch, some stuff I don't want to lose (like dragon eggs) and throwing weapons. The other container has everything else. When I encounter an enemy, I drop the other container. With the survival backback and fighting gear your speed should optimally be at least 600, but with good agility and armour using I've managed to get speeds of 980. 

LittleQuick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: October 17, 2013, 10:49:48 pm »

Lol, I must be carrying too much food then...

So I am going to a tomb again and I've noticed that there is usually some dead bodies already around that a mummy could easily get to, to make some serious helpers. So I put a bunch of dead dwarves in a bag, and plopped it in a different room. Will this prevent the Necro from raising the dead to attack me?

blazing glory

« Reply #1522 on: October 18, 2013, 12:38:49 am »

is it possible to drag a living being around?

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: October 18, 2013, 04:19:56 am »

So I am going to a tomb again and I've noticed that there is usually some dead bodies already around that a mummy could easily get to, to make some serious helpers. So I put a bunch of dead dwarves in a bag, and plopped it in a different room. Will this prevent the Necro from raising the dead to attack me?
It doesen't prevent it. However the mummy will only raise them if they're in the same room. I'd recommend taking the bodies and bringing them outside.

No it's not. Wrestling, even throwing by wrestling, doesen't actually move the opponent. Only ways yocan move others is either lure them to chase you or take them as your companions.

LittleQuick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: October 18, 2013, 12:22:51 pm »

Even moving them upstairs made a huge difference, it cut down on at least half of the undead I had to fight, it's just hard cause the mummys resting place is smack dab in the middle of the room. I at least circled around and cut his head off. Character died trying to escape though. I was hoping to get to the top of the stairs and chop them up one by one. Too bad that once my friends died they came after me too.

blazing glory

« Reply #1525 on: October 18, 2013, 01:08:36 pm »

No it's not. Wrestling, even throwing by wrestling, doesen't actually move the opponent. Only ways yocan move others is either lure them to chase you or take them as your companions.
[/quote]

drat i have no idea if the were-something is gonna roam off just cuz i broke his arm and left

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: October 18, 2013, 01:38:55 pm »

drat i have no idea if the were-something is gonna roam off just cuz i broke his arm and left
[/quote]
They seem to go back to their starting place after they lose sight of you hostiles after a time.  Of course, if he's passed out and crawling. . .

I once had an adventurer that got shot, passed out and woke up just often enough to know there was a prolonged battle going on between my companions and . . . Goblins, I think?  I swear they hovered into and out of my 3 tile sight at least 6 times.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:40:32 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

blazing glory

« Reply #1527 on: October 18, 2013, 03:18:44 pm »

what's the best way to train armor skill?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: October 18, 2013, 04:05:07 pm »

Without modding?

Against a small animal that cannot possibly harm you.

Just grab it so it cannot escape and skip turns so it will try and fail (if adequately protected) to attack you.

Like so:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though the animal may get a lucky bite in, or something. If you can, see if you can knock its teeth out.

blazing glory

« Reply #1529 on: October 18, 2013, 04:57:05 pm »

Without modding?

Against a small animal that cannot possibly harm you.

Just grab it so it cannot escape and skip turns so it will try and fail (if adequately protected) to attack you.

Like so:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though the animal may get a lucky bite in, or something. If you can, see if you can knock its teeth out.

i guess i'm already doing this only the dumb raven wants to practice my shield skill next one i find i'll drop my shield
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 327