Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 621817 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3465 on: February 23, 2016, 01:02:13 am »

This is why we have the "age of death" emptiness etc.

As I've pointed out, this is no longer meaningful. There's no sign that the game acknowledges it when it occurs during play, assuming it used to.
What is the "age of death"?

Apparently, the era marked if most or all sentient life is wiped out, with "age of emptiness" being if you manage to kill off most life in general.

Again, if this feature even still exists, it doesn't trigger in adventure mode.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: February 23, 2016, 01:43:25 am »

It's not even possible to kill off a civ, even civs that were technically dead before worldgen completed. New characters will spawn with the MAINTAIN_ENTITY_STATUS dream. And that's all they'll ever do, simply exist to keep the civ or site group in existence.

Really, any proof for that claim? As far as I know it is false, I have never heard that ever and a forum search doesn't return anything useful either.. You can kill off civs "spawning" is only thing when you have an entity population, when you run out of that your dead, and yes you can kill them all. At least you have been able to in every version so far, i'm not sure why toady would change that.

Being able to only play as an outsider means all civs are dead/killed off including goblins and kobolds.
You have been able to do this since the very beginning.
That only happens in worldgen, not by any of the player's choices. And it's been the case since midway in 40.xx that neither adventurers nor fortresses would be able to destroy a government, local or civ. This was explained in bay12's front page blog before it was implemented; site populations will always refill with newly generated characters, and all positions needed for the site or civ to continue will be refilled.

Elfhater69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: February 23, 2016, 02:00:37 am »

It's not even possible to kill off a civ, even civs that were technically dead before worldgen completed. New characters will spawn with the MAINTAIN_ENTITY_STATUS dream. And that's all they'll ever do, simply exist to keep the civ or site group in existence.

Really, any proof for that claim? As far as I know it is false, I have never heard that ever and a forum search doesn't return anything useful either.. You can kill off civs "spawning" is only thing when you have an entity population, when you run out of that your dead, and yes you can kill them all. At least you have been able to in every version so far, i'm not sure why toady would change that.

Being able to only play as an outsider means all civs are dead/killed off including goblins and kobolds.
That only happens in worldgen, not by any of the player's choices. And it's been the case since midway in 40.xx that neither adventurers nor fortresses would be able to destroy a government, local or civ. This was explained in bay12's front page blog before it was implemented; site populations will always refill with newly generated characters, and all positions needed for the site or civ to continue will be refilled.
Is this only temporary?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3468 on: February 23, 2016, 08:24:41 am »

No it refills from ENTITY POPULATIONS and if enough die the entity population becomes 0. And he never used the word spawn he used the word elevated. Elevated means he grabs a person from the number entity population which represents the abstract population of a site/civilization you can check with legends viewer if you don't believe me.Toady has talked in great detail about entity populations in df talk.

You make me want to ask toady about this.. And I'll add the question to my future of the fortress question.(edit: done) Because I think you are incorrect in your idea that he summons people out of thin air to keep SITE governments running which is silly because sites can be destroyed in play with world activation by armies anyway (and completely wiped) it would break immersion.
I have seen it grab hist figs from other sites to be the lord of the site however. But I am sure it grabs from entity populations when it "spawns" new ones.

I am going to do SCIENCE on this tonight and post my results.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:14:30 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3469 on: February 23, 2016, 09:00:14 am »

New science thread!

I suggest we work together as a community to figure out how this new stuff works!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=156480.0
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: February 23, 2016, 10:38:56 am »

it says I need to stop the bleeding to sleep, is there any way to do that?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: February 23, 2016, 10:43:53 am »

and can a necromancer adventurer write down the secret of life and death(or other secrets)?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: February 23, 2016, 01:06:10 pm »

When you tell a story and stumble over the details, is this due to very low memory? Or is this just a thing that happens as a novice speaker? None of the stories my bowdwarf tells ever stay on "you are telling it quite well."

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: February 23, 2016, 01:23:19 pm »

Argh. I'm trying here to get my other adventurer I made in the same world to be a companion for my main adventurer. The problem is that I seem to be unable ask the whereabouts of my other adventurer.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: February 23, 2016, 02:42:15 pm »

and can a necromancer adventurer write down the secret of life and death(or other secrets)?
That's one for the SCIENCE thread. I recommend writing a bunch of essays and autobiographies.

Elfhater69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: February 23, 2016, 03:19:30 pm »

That's one for the SCIENCE thread. I recommend writing a bunch of essays and autobiographies.
I thought i read in the wiki you could..
EDIT: Found it. Under necromancy
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Book
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 03:23:03 pm by Elfhater69 »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: February 23, 2016, 03:45:03 pm »

I have now extincted all born twilight brutes. 26 spouses remain, all of them originally from this elven civ, and all of them scattered the full breadth of the map. I've also taken out the cyclopses who had plagued the civ, and the two wandering standard trolls, and Zoidberg. Every lair in this region now stands abandoned, including the one I made into a home that I will remember fondly. But it's time to shove off.

To the north is a region with a moderate sized human civ and the elven civ with a library I want to visit. To the east is the biggest goblin civ I have ever seen. There's a struggling human civ, aptly named The Assaulted Confederacy, pinned between the goblins and an elven civ, with a dwarven civ at a neutral distance. But what draws me most in that direction is another Vault standing quite close to a goblin fortress. I'm certain this party is ready for it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: February 23, 2016, 04:06:32 pm »

I've also taken out the cyclopses who had plagued the civ, and the two wandering standard trolls, and Zoidberg.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: February 23, 2016, 04:35:22 pm »

I've also taken out the cyclopses who had plagued the civ, and the two wandering standard trolls, and Zoidberg.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Damn, that was in the wrong thread. Seems like the conversation there should be in this thread.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: February 23, 2016, 04:42:11 pm »

Manuals almost always end up being life and death once you learn it. I've written a few.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:01:42 pm by Max™ »
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 327