Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 327

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread  (Read 620823 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4485 on: January 02, 2018, 07:39:28 pm »

They say the name of the place, then you go on directions and search for that name.
It will appear on you map then.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: January 02, 2018, 07:57:19 pm »

Something i never thought about with all those years of adventuring : is there any advantage in wearing light armor , does it help with dodging, blocking or parrying skills ? Or is there no point at all (assuming of course you have a decent Armor skill so you would still stay at speed 1.0 if you were wearing iron armor) and just continue to loot all the iron armor part from meadhall ?

Tesnivy812

• Bay Watcher
  • Boss Hen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: January 02, 2018, 08:09:30 pm »

I've tried asking for directions, but it doesn't show up. I suspect it's a glitch.

I did find a workaround however, LegendsViewer can be used to locate whatever place they're talking about.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: January 03, 2018, 12:56:39 pm »

Something i never thought about with all those years of adventuring : is there any advantage in wearing light armor , does it help with dodging, blocking or parrying skills ? Or is there no point at all (assuming of course you have a decent Armor skill so you would still stay at speed 1.0 if you were wearing iron armor) and just continue to loot all the iron armor part from meadhall ?

There's no practical reason in wearing lighter armor. Exempting candy or spoiler metals, of course.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: January 03, 2018, 01:38:29 pm »

Thanks, so i'll continue the usual heavy armor looting with my new characters too then.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: January 03, 2018, 04:26:14 pm »

How do you deal with towns? They are full of interesting things but everytime I go to one the game slows to a crawl. Do you avoid them?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4491 on: January 03, 2018, 04:36:47 pm »

Depends on the size of the town, I walk around smaller towns (+ sign or the one above, forget which one is it, I think *) - barely do stuff in the larger cities (# sign)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: January 03, 2018, 04:44:57 pm »

Depends on the size of the town, I walk around smaller towns (+ sign or the one above, forget which one is it, I think *) - barely do stuff in the larger cities (# sign)

Even on small towns (+) I have this problem. It takes forever to walk a few steps. And I have a beast of a computer.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: January 03, 2018, 06:22:14 pm »

Even on small towns (+) I have this problem. It takes forever to walk a few steps. And I have a beast of a computer.

I often "periscope" back up into fast travel to offload the non-historicals, which does work here and there for sapients, but not so well for the animals.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: January 03, 2018, 06:27:58 pm »

I often "periscope" back up into fast travel to offload the non-historicals, which does work here and there for sapients, but not so well for the animals.

Yeah, it is slightly better in travel mode, but even walking a few steps outside of it is a pain.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: January 03, 2018, 08:13:09 pm »

Usually when there's a castle in the center of a town (towns with those white roads in the worldmap), there are high chances it will be either unplayable or painful to play there.
I only had rare occurance in which such town was playable enough, the majority of them are fps death zones.

Unfortunately it has been like that since nearly forever sadly as those towns are usually the most interesting human places to visit (as there are several different structures, markets etc...)

So make sure to only visit hamlets (the towns with a small meadhall on one of the town extremities) , as those type of towns have rather few houses and not that much people in them, it's very playable there.

Hopefully one day Toady will do a "performance update arc" too so we'll be able to enjoy fully the great work he has done in making human towns interesting instead of just avoiding them.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: January 04, 2018, 05:31:03 am »

Goblin civilization members starting lethal fights when you load them onto the screen, scholars from civs with opposing ethics, zombie merchants, all turn towns into lagfest nightmares, otherwise they're rather pleasant.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: January 04, 2018, 06:43:43 pm »

All those fun and interesting things happening that we can't really enjoy due to how abyssal the performance become then.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: January 06, 2018, 07:08:17 pm »

Simply removing the kill_neutral:required honestly killed like 95% of the lag I encountered, it's the most annoying ethic I can think of and gobs are still dicks without it.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: January 07, 2018, 12:17:17 am »

Something else that can muck things up, is your world gen settings. When I used to do 550 medium worlds, I'd up the population caps and that would cause less than good things.

For the last 1-2 years, I've been playing 1050 year large worlds without changing pop caps, and largely the lag comes from the expected sources where there are too many units pathing, in either a changing environment (waterway, weather), and/or the site has a library, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 327