Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Siege triggers  (Read 2493 times)

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siege triggers
« on: December 18, 2010, 07:24:37 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I found these on the wiki, but don't really know what to do with them. I want my population sieged as soon as they hit 20-25 dwarves, prod and trade are unknown for me. To achieve this, should I just change the POP_SIEGE tot 20? Or does this work with the levels as indicated above?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Siege triggers
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 07:26:42 am »

Well to be honest, this is the greatest mystry in all of entity modding. I asked over the the workshop, but they didn't know either. Deon should know, he is meant to know something sbout this 'modding' stuff. If he is still online maybe he will show up.

In other words, posting to watch here, because I also want an in depth recount of how it works.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 07:31:38 am »

It's a mystery, but one I need to tweak Deon's genesis to my wishes for work USB use ;)

I want to put the dwarf count down to 30, but it will kill gameplay if that stops the bloody buggers from assaulting me.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 08:50:39 am »

POP_SIEGE is not an absolute value, I think it can be between 1 and 5, the lower the number, the faster.  I believe 3 corresponds to 80.

You will need to gen a new world for this to take effect.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 08:55:19 am »

POP_SIEGE is not an absolute value, I think it can be between 1 and 5, the lower the number, the faster.  I believe 3 corresponds to 80.

You will need to gen a new world for this to take effect.
Thanks! I'm experimenting right now with a newly genned world, max dwarves 30, so if level 1 is more then 30 then no sieges ;)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 09:16:48 am »

Yes, those are levels 1 to 5. I'm just going to say that 5 is almost never unless you play long forts for most triggers.

I don't remember exact values, but if you want early sieges then set them to 1-2 and ignore some like trade/production which take more time to achieve than population.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 09:54:58 am »

Yes, those are levels 1 to 5. I'm just going to say that 5 is almost never unless you play long forts for most triggers.

I don't remember exact values, but if you want early sieges then set them to 1-2 and ignore some like trade/production which take more time to achieve than population.
I would like later sieges with use of the trade/production triggers, so that I do not get raped by orks the moment I embark (I play a minimal fort due to system specs on work).
Is there any knowledge about how these work?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 09:58:08 am »

They just work :). Each time your settlement changes a name, you gain another population level. Production levels grow with thousands of wealth you produce, and trade levels grow with thousands of wealth you travel away. As I said I cannot say exact numbers now, but 5 is too high. 3-4 is good if you want a bit delayed sieges.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 04:30:23 pm »

If you want to be besieged at 20 dwarves, use

[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1]

FYI, the corresponding levels of population to pop-trigger are:

0: used to mean will attack instantly, now means will ignore trigger
1: 20 dwarves
2: 50 dwarves
3: 80 dwarves
4: 110 dwarves
5: 140 dwarves

Also, I can tell you from creating the Fortress Defense Mod that the PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE and similar tags will not work without the normal PROGRESS_TRIGGER tags. The PROGRESS_TRIGGER_X_SIEGE tags are used when a civ is capable of launching both ambushes and sieges like goblins; the tag governs when it changes its attack strategy.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:55:33 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 05:39:46 pm »

A straight forward answer?

THANK YOU DARKFLAGRANCE! Deon, from now on I'm playing fortress defence rather then genisis. You let me down.  :P

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 06:59:53 pm »

If you want to be besieged at 20 dwarves, use

[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1]

FYI, the corresponding levels of population to pop-trigger are:

0: most likely will attack instantly
1: 20 dwarves
2: 50 dwarves
3: 80 dwarves
4: 110 dwarves
5: 140 dwarves

Also, I can tell you from creating the Fortress Defense Mod that the PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE and similar tags will not work without the normal PROGRESS_TRIGGER tags. The PROGRESS_TRIGGER_X_SIEGE tags are used when a civ is capable of launching both ambushes and sieges like goblins; the tag governs when it changes its attack strategy.

Quite accurate, with one change (that I know of): PROGRESS_TRIGGER 0 means that the trigger is ignored, not instant.

I forget what the exact values for trade (exported wealth) and production (created wealth) are, other than that production maps to the name of the record keeper (record keeper -> hoardmaster, I believe), and that first trade trigger is at just over 1000 exported wealth.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 08:40:00 pm »

They just work :). Each time your settlement changes a name, you gain another population level. Production levels grow with thousands of wealth you produce, and trade levels grow with thousands of wealth you travel away. As I said I cannot say exact numbers now, but 5 is too high. 3-4 is good if you want a bit delayed sieges.
Name as in literal name, or title, like hamlet, metropolis etc. etc.?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 12:56:51 am »

Name as in literal name, or title, like hamlet, metropolis etc. etc.?

I think they correspond titles, but I've never noticed a notification of a name change. The later titles (80 and above) might correspond to landholder noble level titles (barony etc).

---

Quite accurate, with one change (that I know of): PROGRESS_TRIGGER 0 means that the trigger is ignored, not instant.

I should have known this already, but I'm still half in denial that Toady changed it from 40d.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 01:00:16 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 01:01:43 am »

A straight forward answer?

THANK YOU DARKFLAGRANCE! Deon, from now on I'm playing fortress defence rather then genisis. You let me down.  :P
I'm pretty sure FD and genesis can coexist peacefully.

I should have known this already, but I'm still half in denial that Toady changed it from 40d.
Personal testing on this say it's indeed ignored on 0.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 01:13:40 am »

I'm pretty sure FD and genesis can coexist peacefully.

The mod has nothing to do with it. When a modder who knows what there doing is online, I expect them to attend to my every question, reguardless of how much they know of the topic themselves. THERE IS NO COEXIST!  :P
Pages: [1] 2