Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 141

Author Topic: Free Game List  (Read 612082 times)

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
Re: Free Game List
« Reply #420 on: September 05, 2013, 04:38:44 am »

Thrive, although it's being developed at about Dwarf Fortress speed, and has only really just begun with that which can be interacted with.
It's so obscure that unless you know information beyond the name, it's nigh impossible to reach without a link, so http://thrivegame.forum-free.ca/forum
It's going for Dwarf Fortress complexity though I think.
And yes, I think KSP should be removed from the list.
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 05, 2013, 11:15:36 am »

Well i didn't check them but apparently some time ago the US Airforce sponsored several games and "set them free".

http://steamunpowered.eu/free-games-sponsored-by-the-us-air-force/

I remember Civilizations at war being pretty fun too.
Midway :|. I wonder if these will have internet-required DRM, like Psi-Ops had. I will be very disappointed if they do.

I remember there were several games (Civilizations at war and Farcry 1) that had commercials in them for being free.
However i don't think it's the case with those sponsored by the airforce.
Also since midway is pretty much dead i assume the always online DRM is dead as well.
Unfortunately, they do have the internet-required DRM. Rise and Fall, did, at least. I can't find a working download for the others, but I'm not interested anymore.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 05, 2013, 11:31:39 pm »

Thrive, although it's being developed at about Dwarf Fortress speed, and has only really just begun with that which can be interacted with.
It's so obscure that unless you know information beyond the name, it's nigh impossible to reach without a link, so http://thrivegame.forum-free.ca/forum
It's going for Dwarf Fortress complexity though I think.
And yes, I think KSP should be removed from the list.
it looks like it could be the dwarf fortress of spore.

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 09, 2013, 09:20:19 am »

thrive? last I heard of it it was very early in the cell stage development and did not look like it would go anywhere at any speed.  looks like that is no longer the case.
the web page looks a LOT better now than it did last time I looked at it, the background image they had was not a good choice.

yea, I first heard of it when looking for games like spore, that would of been at least two years ago, close to when they started work on it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 18, 2013, 01:16:02 am »

Not sure how long ago it happened, but Total Extreme Wrestling 2005 is freeware. It's a wrestling company management sim, sorta like a FM or OOTP type game. I have the 2013 version and it's quite fun. 2005 is I think 3 versions ago. (Its not like a sports game that updates yearly, it has a new version when it deserves one). Anyway, if you're a fan of Pro Wrestling or Managment games, might want to give it a try.

If I had to give it some flaws it is that everything isn't obvious or given to you, not even in a manual.

So what you should do is if you are interested in the game you should constantly harass Silent Thunder for playing tips.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 18, 2013, 09:57:30 am »

After playing a bit with my japan female wrestling company, the "5 Star Supreme Wrestling"  from the default game database (more managable for me as they don't have too much members) i find TEW2005 really great , but there are some obscure things i had to toy around to start understanding how they worked. But i really enjoy it, i can't believe this game escaped my radar for so long.

The "angles" can be hilarious when combined in "storylines"

The let'splay you guys have has been helpfull too, even if it is not the same version of the game, there are still some common ground in the mechanics.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 21, 2013, 12:22:49 pm »

So, it hasn't been mentioned I assume, but there is a bit of a weird (and by extension a decade to decades old, based on the game) lifesim game series, known as Creatures.
The fandom is still active based on what site you visit, and there is an extreme amount of user made content.
Only 1 of the games is Freeware, and that game, unless expanded upon, or connected to their third game, is limited.

Now, it isn't for everyone. The Creatures in the game, Norns, Ettins, and Grendels are a bit cartoon-y to say the least (however many agree the Creatures Online Norns are too realistic, and are just plain creepy). This is a main part of it's appeal, though, you can always slap that cute little thing to death, or try to breed it to be an alcoholic. Even place a norn who's health is dependent on being infected with toxins and viruses, among normal ones. You could then watch it infect all the others, eat some healthy food, and die from it, while the others die from the diseases their newly deceased friend carried.
You could just, I don't know, raise them to live 'happy' lives though. I say it with quotation marks because the Creatures honestly don't have a pain sense like we do, even though they have drives telling them they were just hit and it hurts. Drowning a Norn isn't like Drowning a Dog, sine Norns can be pretty stupid, and if they can't swim, they'll often just sit under the water until they die. The dog will be harder to drown, and will much likely take effort.
Though, you have to admit for the time, they were pretty advanced.

I'd call it Strategy/Life-Sim/Space
It really doesn't fit into any of the genres, for the most part. Some people introduce conflict, or let the species and breeds they choose run solo, and see how long they last, if they do.

Wikipedia's Article on the Series
Docking Station (The Free One)'s Article on the Creatures Wiki

Since the company that made the game series is pretty much defunct (though Creatures 1-3 can still be bought online, via Gog.com or otherwise), the online play function is no longer around, and hasn't been for a couple of years. That is to say Docking Station used to have online play, via the Warp Room. Nowadays, there are users that are rebuilding the online play, and plan on bringing it back up.
Originally you needed to register an account for free, and login/register each 'world' you made, but the fans made a workaround, so offline play is completely available.

A Decent Docking Station Site With Download
A link to a page with the login disabler and other addons

Sorry if the info is a bit much, I didn't see Docking Station on the list, and I felt if I just gave a simple link, it wouldn't be enough.

EDIT:
Engage to Jabberwock seems a broken link to another blog, I think inverted castle, which is a torrent file, as opposed to what I understood was a zip file
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 11:19:36 am by Ianflow »
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 11, 2013, 03:01:02 pm »

What about original Nexuiz?
urrently digging fortress #9.

Yannanth

« Reply #428 on: October 14, 2013, 08:45:25 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:37:18 pm by Yannanth »

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 17, 2013, 01:39:46 pm »

Rise and Fall was Air Force sponsored.

The sponsorship ended some time ago and the official file download is gone; it's also a pain to make work on Win7+

If anyone can find a way to make Civilizations and War work though, or has a reliable source, I'd love to know.  That game in all its unfinished glory and splendor was the bomb!  Best FPS/RTS hands down because it didn't disregard the RTS elements like base building and resource management or oversimplify them.  The game is still freeware, just unsupported...

Abando-freeware?
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

dorfeus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 18, 2013, 06:27:38 pm »

I've been into playing lots of the stranger freeware indie stuff recently - the kind of thing that's more of a unique experience than a coherent game. Some are pretentious crap but some are sort of refreshing, disturbing in a good way or at least good for a laugh. I reckon these ones are worth a look:

Goblet Grotto
a delver dreams their own demise
Crypt Worlds

MrPseeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 19, 2013, 07:39:18 am »

I've been into playing lots of the stranger freeware indie stuff recently - the kind of thing that's more of a unique experience than a coherent game. Some are pretentious crap but some are sort of refreshing, disturbing in a good way or at least good for a laugh. I reckon these ones are worth a look:

Goblet Grotto
a delver dreams their own demise
Crypt Worlds

Yeah, people interested in strange freeware games should definitely check out http://www.freeindiegam.es/. It's a pretty active blog founded by Terry Cavanagh (Super Hexagon, VVVVVV). Some games I really enjoyed from there are Boson X (3d Super Hexagon) and Imscared (experimental horror game)

Arkum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 21, 2013, 01:11:35 pm »

I do not believe this free game has been listed. It is called SBS Baseball. Information on it can be found at :
http://sbs-baseball.com/

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 02, 2013, 06:37:57 am »

Don't forget about this: http://zero-k.info/. It's a open source RTS completely different than Starcraft (streaming economy, lots of options, streamlined UI, lots of AI so you can control large armies). It's a good game, although the community is small. A tutorial is currently planned, but only a few basic things are done. However, there is a manual.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 02, 2013, 07:11:17 am »

Odd... it does look like Spring isn't on the list. It should be noted to anyone browsing that Zero-K is a Spring engine game, one of quite a few, and fairly derivative (albeit not in a bad way) of the Total Annihilation style many of them follow. Worth checking out, but it's less a stand-alone thing than it is a mod for a larger piece of software.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 141