Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Bee Poll #2 (see reply #209 for results of first poll)

Honey dressings for wounds
- 16 (24.6%)
Honey-preservation of foods
- 19 (29.2%)
Bee Anger (if stirred up, hives stay angry for a while; see post #162)
- 14 (21.5%)
Sting Effects (allergies/resistance; first post)
- 15 (23.1%)
Equine Enmity (hives attack nearby horses (unicorns maybe); see post #23)
- 1 (1.5%)
Addition of Stingless Bees (less risk/less honey; see posts #78-79)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: June 18, 2011, 06:22:09 pm

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Honeybees Buzz'n Beard  (Read 46549 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Honeybees Buzz'n Beard
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2011, 04:16:33 am »

I was thinking of evil bees being like that guy in Ninja Scroll, with the whole hive inside himself.

HERE WE GO (I don't think that looks like a wasp nest - bad translation):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tExTfiwsdgg
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 04:19:04 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2011, 05:14:58 am »

What would the status of these dwarves be?
Would they become undead... ZOM-BEES!? (I'm so clever)
or would they be, you know... dead?
The Dwarves would be alive. The bees would live in their beards, and drink all the booze whenever they tried to drink. Their venom would cause permanent defoliation. So if you tried to remove them they sting you bald.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2011, 10:44:17 am »

Besides bears, beehives can also attract web-spiders and bats.

Some Evil Ideas:
     +Some human-toxic honey can induce raging madness.
          edit: May actually be more of a stupor with hallucinations.
     +Some bee-toxic plants can kill bees.

Bees aren't wasps, but:
     +some wasps are necrophagic.
     +There's a wasp that can transform a roach into a living puppet with a sting to the brain.

+Some bees might like to build hives in skulls or carcasses.
          +“Out of the eater came something to eat. Out of the strong came something sweet.”
          EDIT: The Middle-Eastern connection between bees and lions is based on the mistaken belief that
          maggots, like those found in lion carcasses, were baby bees (instead of baby flies).

BTW, don't try to escape by jumping into water, bees don't give up that easily. Just run to shelter.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:52:39 pm by Buzzing_Beard »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2011, 10:50:02 am »

Honey effects from nectar consumed sounds... like a lot of work to program.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2011, 02:18:22 pm »

Nah its just a matter of saying honey.syndrome = beehive.preferredplant.syndrome.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2011, 03:08:02 pm »

Nah its just a matter of saying honey.syndrome = beehive.preferredplant.syndrome.

Well, rather than speaking in coding terms...

We already have syndromes.  We already have materials that can be passed on through different "phases" of production, so that an animal's skin influences its leather.  We are slated to have flowers that can grow in farms according to the devapge and, presumably, wild.  Toady stated that he would want bees to visit flowers to collect nectar for honey, but that the lack of flowers right now has simply made that impossible.

I think that the only problem is that honey is going to be made with hundreds of individual wildflowers that the bees visit. You'd need to have a way of "diluting" syndromes.  One poisonous flower among hundreds of normal flowers should create a minimal effect.

This is something that the game needs, anyway, since there is no realism in how poisons work based upon dosage - a real-life spider bite is generally harmless simply because spiders dose their venoms to attack a creature that weighs something like a gram, and a 70 kg human will just dilute that venom throughout their body so thoroughly that spider venom is harmless. (This is excepting necrotic venoms which only attack local tissues, which basically means that the area around the bite will become necrotic, but the person in general should be OK so long as subsequent infections don't bring them down.)

If you theoretically had some sort of magic flower that has magic nectar, you could theoretically put bees in a location where they can only visit those magic flowers, and the honey they produce would have that magic flower's syndrome effect in the form of a honey.  Hence, you could put whatever kind of crazy syndromes you want onto that flower, and the bees should be able to make it into magic honey that does whatever crazy magic effect the game allows.

(... I need to add this stuff to the Improved Farming thread...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2011, 03:45:24 pm »

Ok, I'm willing to follow this simulation fetishism down a lot of rabbit holes, but simulating individual bees is just too much

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2011, 03:48:09 pm »

I think that the only problem is that honey is going to be made with hundreds of individual wildflowers that the bees visit. You'd need to have a way of "diluting" syndromes.  One poisonous flower among hundreds of normal flowers should create a minimal effect.

I think that BB already said that the bees will stick to *one* type of flower based on what's preferred & abundant.  So they just need to make "$flower_name honey" and have that inherit whatever syndromes it should from $flower_name.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2011, 03:51:57 pm »

I think that BB already said that the bees will stick to *one* type of flower based on what's preferred & abundant.  So they just need to make "$flower_name honey" and have that inherit whatever syndromes it should from $flower_name.

Works for me...

How would you micro it to get the weird stuff?

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2011, 04:00:16 pm »

NW_Kohaku: "I think that the only problem is that honey is going to be made with hundreds of individual wildflowers
     that the bees visit."

A hive will usually only visit one kind of flower at a time. This means that nectars aren't mixed and a dwarf biting into a honeycomb is getting a "straight dose".

Sometimes when you look in a hive, you'll find a frame filled with dark honey next to one filled with light honey. This is because the bees switched from one nectar source to another during the season.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2011, 04:07:05 pm »

Honey Fluid: Ability for honey to flow and be pumped around as a fluid? Sticky traps!

I imagine a honey "soaked" floor would be interesting. Would slow movement speed (but not attack speed, once Toady gets that split together).

I suggest the "soaked/splattering" effect like how blood works now due to the issues that come with multiple types of fluid, as described by Toady.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2011, 05:26:32 pm »

Works for me...

I assume you'd build the hive in a field of the stuff & try to destroy competing nearby plants.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2011, 05:38:34 pm »

Thanks Met, I forgot that "sticky trap" can also mean a trap that's literally sticky. I was thinking more like honey pitfalls or floodable rooms when I wrote that.

But I think a tacky honeyed floor or a floor with an inch or two of honey would be very difficult to run on; slowing enemies down and maybe claiming a few shoes along the way.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2011, 05:41:12 pm »

Works for me...

I assume you'd build the hive in a field of the stuff & try to destroy competing nearby plants.

If you're talking about what I mentioned about an enclosed area with beeds only having access to a certain type of magical plant to ensure you got magical honey, then yes, that's what I was talking about.

We already have growable flowers slated as part of the Improved Farming devpage item (not to be confused with the string of threads on the subject, although I have talked about ways to manage things like wildflowers in parts of my own suggestion).
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2011, 07:00:35 pm »

Granite26: "How would you micro it to get the weird stuff?"
     Uristocrat: "I assume you'd build the hive in a field of the stuff & try to destroy competing nearby plants."

Because nectar is a depletable resource (flowers take a few hours to refill), you might also be able to get the honey you want through competition.

For example, suppose there are two kinds of flowers near your fort. With just one hive, the honey will all come from the bee's favorite flower. But if you build another hive, the new bees might choose the second flower for its more available nectar.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16