Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 471300 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #480 on: May 08, 2012, 06:58:16 pm »

Nice to see a new update, it's been a few version i skipped after i managed to win.
Will have to see what's new .
The random elites are surely a good idea, though in some location ( an elite on Mire 2 really ? ) that could be a serious balancing problem for some classes/races combo.

I hope at least the reward for killing such thing is worth it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 08, 2012, 07:14:06 pm »

It was a green item I couldn't use :P

... same for the other two I met in the mires.

As for amount, well, I don't have enough data to really make a strong statement, but so far I've ran into three -- two on mire two (an archer and temporal warden, both Cs) and one on mire three (poison ivy summoner -- if I had approached prox from any other direction than the one I did, I would have been fighting it and prox at the same time :-\). This either means I've been terribly (un?)lucky or the numbers might be a bit high on 'em.

But so far they look like a formula for hilarious hokey shit later in the game. Especially if they're not squelched on summons (Ran into a honey tree vault, so it looks like they are, but I'm not yet absolutely sure).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #482 on: May 19, 2012, 10:55:51 pm »

Hello ToME thread.

Question, "stone alchemy" is a good choice for pretty much anyone if they manage to save an alchemist right?

Playing a human defiler. Already picked it, so if not, uhhh, oh well.

EDIT: Just died to a unique, oh well. Question still stands.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:09:06 pm by Seriyu »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 19, 2012, 11:14:49 pm »

It's arguable. For a defiler, either of them... probably a good idea. You can spare a cat point and it's not like you won't be able to spare the generics. If you're cornac and not higher, the cost is even smaller (relatively).

Now, personally, I pretty much always take the tree if I'm not building something incredibly strapped for category points. A cat point and six generic talent points for an additional 10% resall (to say nothing of the lifebinding emerald or wozzname's rock) is incredibly desirable. That it can be +30 (5*6) stats or +10% damage or whatever else sort of gem you feel like shoving into your armor doesn't hurt. It's a quite versatile passive effect.

But, the cost is hefty. It's a category point and at-minimum six generics if you're beelining straight to imbue item 5/5 and ignoring everything else (Gem portal's alright, but useless for non-alchs iirc -- unless you can get some alchy gems from murdering rand-class monsters -- and stone touch is pretty iffy. Extract gems is a massive money generator if you're after that.), which I'd suggest. That's the other part of the downside, though. The only directly (and unconditionally) useful thing in the tree is imbue item. Extract gems is a bit more useful nowadays, though, what with that particular late-game money sink of incredible power. The only other thing to consider is actually investing in any of the talents will lock you out of anti magic, but that's a non-issue for the defiler metaclass anyway.

Overall, you probably didn't make a mistake, especially playing one of the defiler classes. They've got generics and cat points to burn, really, so the "downside" of taking the stone alchemy tree is heavily mitigated.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:16:44 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 19, 2012, 11:23:23 pm »

Oddly enough I have found myself thinking a lot about what I would add if I was told I could add one class to the game.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 19, 2012, 11:33:18 pm »

Modding architecture is supposedly fairly painless with the t-engine, neo. If you can code it...

There's several class add ons you can look to for examples.

Frumple would add the ink sage, huhuhu. If I ever get around to coding it, anyway. Not likely, but still...
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 19, 2012, 11:49:12 pm »

It is meaningless to me to add my own class using such mechanics unless someone else can use them.

Mind you it isn't so much that I am thinking of recognition. If I am using ingame tools then it is for me to use. If I am using out of game tools then it is for other people to use.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 12:11:28 am by Neonivek »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #487 on: May 19, 2012, 11:52:25 pm »

Ah yeah, I was a cornac. I did notice Defilers seemed to have very few generic skill trees, but I wasn't sure if Stone Alchemy was a generic or what. Thanks!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 20, 2012, 07:21:31 am »

It is meaningless to me to add my own class using such mechanics unless someone else can use them.

Mind you it isn't so much that I am thinking of recognition. If I am using ingame tools then it is for me to use. If I am using out of game tools then it is for other people to use.
Yeah, it's really easy to distribute addons for general use. Just throw it up on the forum and maybe sling an email (or drop in the IRC -- it's a good place to get some coding advice, too.) at DG once you've got it in testable shape. He'll probably slip it into the main site's add-on page.

Ah yeah, I was a cornac. I did notice Defilers seemed to have very few generic skill trees, but I wasn't sure if Stone Alchemy was a generic or what. Thanks!
It's an easy thing to miss before you're used to the game, but you can't get additional class trees. Everything you can pick up during the game is generic. So no worries about accidentally choosing a class tree you might not want to spare class points for, heh. You couldn't in the base game even if you wanted to.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 20, 2012, 11:56:53 am »

Hello ToME thread.

Question, "stone alchemy" is a good choice for pretty much anyone if they manage to save an alchemist right?

Playing a human defiler. Already picked it, so if not, uhhh, oh well.

EDIT: Just died to a unique, oh well. Question still stands.

Stone Alchemy is good in general. The Light tree is incredibly nice for corruptors, if you can get it.

Oddly enough I have found myself thinking a lot about what I would add if I was told I could add one class to the game.

I created an Illusionist class and geomancer tweak addons. And I never touched code before. It's pretty easy. The geomancer tweaks were added to game in b39. Addons can be found here:

http://te4.org/tome/addons

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 01, 2012, 10:14:24 am »

Heyo. B41's out. Haven't had a chance to play, yet, but the change log looks interesting. Folks that were having compatibility issues on win7 might want to see if things have improved.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:18:12 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 09, 2012, 09:12:51 am »

Holy fuck, this game is awesome. How do you beat the Reaver boss on the third floor as a dwarf berserker? He keeps ripping me to shreds. :(

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 09, 2012, 09:32:34 am »

In my time you just let your dwarven ally take the aggro and you could hopefully CC or bash him ineffectually from the side till he drops dead of boredom.

Since I just passed my bachellor's state exams, I'm planning on spending a week doing nothing but playing roguelikes. People are saying Reavers are really good now, anyone have any feedback on this?
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 09, 2012, 10:33:33 am »

Holy fuck, this game is awesome. How do you beat the Reaver boss on the third floor as a dwarf berserker? He keeps ripping me to shreds. :(
Zerker should just faceroll 'im, but if that innit working...

... do what I do about half the time nowadays. Let brotoq aggro the meat shield dwarf, and just walk right the fook past. You can take the stairs out while brotoq's still alive :P

Re: Reaver, I don't think much has changed, except getting overkill -- which is nice, but not really game changing. Reavers have always been pretty decent, just kinda' flimsy (which get offset later with plate armor and suchlike). They dole out ridiculous amounts of damage in melee and have decent enough ranged damage and debuff. They're fairly sexy, really.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 09, 2012, 10:55:18 am »

Got my 4th roguelike win in b40:

Anti-magic Mindslayer Beat Atamathon (again) and cleared the "Room of Death".

I got instant-killed by one of the new traps in B41. >:(

People are saying Reavers are really good now, anyone have any feedback on this?

The Plague tree was buffed. And reavers now have the Vim and Torment tree, which makes them very easy.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 163