Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 473237 times)

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #540 on: August 31, 2012, 12:07:42 pm »

I think I like Higher Archmage more than Higher Alchemist. In fact I think an Archmage is more of my style than an Alchemist, though after reading over the classes yesterday the other that would also be my style in general out of what I have unlocked so far is Summoner.

I might try a Summoner sometime this weekend just to see if I really would like playing as one. Right now I'm going to take care of a few things then get back onto my Higher Archmage, whom I've named Matya.

Speaking of Archmage, out of the spells I was advised to get maxed out I like Lightning the best. It's both efficient and powerful, and I like the fact that it can go through multiple enemies at a time. Then again so can Flame 5 and Manathrust. I guess I like beam spells.

...Also I've almost if not entirely maximized Arcane Reconstruction and I've got one point in each of the Conveyance skills because honestly they sounded like they would help out a great deal and because someone recommended Teleport.

Finally, I think I found another reason for me to like Higher - the second racial talent they get increases their line of sight. I don't know if there is anything bad from doing this but I like being able to scroll off-screen when targeting things. It's very useful in my opinion, though to be blunt in my opinion all of the Higher racial talents I've tried so far have been useful to me.

I do have a question however - should I be picking up the loot I find to sell or should I only do that for the really valuable stuff? I've been ignoring most everything except for gemstones and equipment that Matya can use or sell for an okay profit. Is that the right thing to do?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 31, 2012, 12:19:53 pm »

Anyone mind spoilering the Solipsist unlock? I did everything, including the god damn necromancer, but I hear it's a random unlock and stuff like that grinds my goat something fierce.

Reminds me of the old undead unlocks before the vast majority of them were removed.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 31, 2012, 12:53:45 pm »

I do have a question however - should I be picking up the loot I find to sell or should I only do that for the really valuable stuff? I've been ignoring most everything except for gemstones and equipment that Matya can use or sell for an okay profit. Is that the right thing to do?

There's a specific quest
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you succeed

So better pick up everything and sell it to make money and try to not buy anything because that sum of money takes a lot of time to gather (i was level 30 i think when i reached that sum).

Note :

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 31, 2012, 12:55:20 pm »

Anyone mind spoilering the Solipsist unlock? I did everything, including the god damn necromancer, but I hear it's a random unlock and stuff like that grinds my goat something fierce.

It'll do until you clear out lake nur, which is at the bottom, so to speak, of the old forest. Probably safe to do around level fifteen, sixteen... twenty as an outlier. Beating the boss at the end (weirdling beast) and activating something with your rod of recall (and then having a little chat with what pops out) will give you an artifact that makes item management considerably simpler. Even better, once you've done it once, it'll unlock starting with the item at birth.

Ideally, though, while selling off purples and suchlike is fine, you probably want to save the gems until you get this artifact (and in subsequent playthroughs, until you activate it fully by repeating the activation sequence) and then feed them all to said artifact. Gems are the best method of charging the thing up, bar none, and it's pretty common to be able to open up at least the first thing charging it up does just with the gems you collect up to the point of activation. You don't have to be OCD about it, though -- if you have to sell some gems, even all your gems, to pick up a good piece of kit, do so and don't worry about it. Money comes easy, especially once you get th'artifact in question.

Ninja'd a bit, and much more succinctly :P

E:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 01:00:28 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 31, 2012, 01:41:43 pm »

Mentionning buying things, to me it's one of the ToME4 strange balance, on all the characters i had i don't remember finding something affordable in a shop that was better or equal to what i had in my inventory.

The only items i found in shops that were actually better than what i had were in fact too expensive considering the amount of gold i had at the level i was, and by the time i gathered that much money for a specific shop item i had already found a lot better in a dungeon run.

And that was not once or twice, but for every of my characters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 31, 2012, 02:02:52 pm »

Any tips on where to go after you finish the starter dungeon? I tend to breeze through that, then wander the overland map until i find something interesting, whereupon I'm usually horribly overmatched and die in a heartbeat.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 31, 2012, 02:16:20 pm »

Shops are... usually (usually) more of a security net than primary kit source in T4. They're there for when the first four dungeons drop no healing, regen, or shield runes. For when you don't stumble upon a water breathing source before you reach the underwater caverns in the east. For when your melee dude hits level twenty three without finding a pair of rush boots. To get a weapon capable of doing more than spitting ineffectually at things on that level five rogue. For when you can't find a quiver or pouch with more than like eight shots before you clear out old forest. Things along those multitudinous lines, all of which I've encountered before :-\

They're a lot more useful, also, when you know exactly what you're looking for in kit and want to get it as soon as possible. The dungeon givith, but it often givith what that focus slayer would rather be using instead of what the sword and board slayer you're actually playing needs. Stuff like that. It gives you a fallback for when the dungeon isn't cooperating, or a jumping off point to get you to better stuff. I've not had many characters solve a make-or-break thing with shopping, but I've had a lot made considerably easier than they otherwise could have been.

And then occasionally you find that invig/speed dragon leather boots in lost hope, or that verdant/eyal plate, or that psychoport torque, or... well, you get the idea.
Any tips on where to go after you finish the starter dungeon? I tend to breeze through that, then wander the overland map until i find something interesting, whereupon I'm usually horribly overmatched and die in a heartbeat.
There's at least five other dungeons in around the same level bracket as the starter. I recommend Norgos lair as a second dungeon (follow the treeline east from derth, there'll be a little opening that leads to a town and two dungeons; you want the one on the left. You can roll a thalore if you want to just start there.), or trollmire (probably your starting zone, for most races). Then withered heart (to the right in that little culdesac), kor'pul (just west of troll mire), scintillating caves (start a shalore; alternately, go south from derth a ways (past the mountain range on the left) and you'll find another little zig-zag opening in the trees) and then the rhaloren camp, just west of said caves. That's all the first tier dungeons that everyone has access to -- dwarves and yeeks get two more, undead and the celestial classes all get one extra (the extra doesn't stack :P).

Then you've got the tier two dungeons (you can reasonably start taking these around level eight, level ten, though clearing out all the tier one dungeons will usually put you in the 12-15 range). Old forest is just south of derth, and the maze is just west of it; the maze is probably the safer of the two. Then you've got the sandworm lair on the beach to the west, past the mountain range the maze is beside, and daikara a bit past the norgos lair area, a bit north-east of Zigur (town in the middlish of the map, more or less on a lake. If you've got mana (and a few other resources), you won't be able to see it); daikara's the hardest of the tier two lot, kind of a tier 2.5, before dreadfell and the rest of the game.

After all that, and possibly somewhere in between, is a bunch of randomly placed extra zones you can roll for loot and XP, followed by dreadfell, one of the only two actually required dungeons in the west. Dreadfell is followed by fairly easily followed plot stuff that takes you where you need to go :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 31, 2012, 10:45:47 pm »

The other starter dungeons tend to be good places to go for more loot and experience. So the Trollmire, the Old Forest, the snowy one, the corrupted cave thing, and one or two more. Typically I'll stop right before the boss for my starting area and go clear out the others up until right before their bosses. Though the underwater temple in the Old Forest(?) end is something that you'll generally want to avoid for a while.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 01, 2012, 04:49:20 am »

The Grushnak Pride has the barracks levels always as stupidly hard for melee characters as i remembered (due to the random teleport that happens to you and can get you killed in a few turns depending on where you land), except you don't have the stair tactic anymore to escape this hell and use attrition to clear those levels, but in exchange on the non barracks levels you can then get plenty of items crap for transmogrification :D

Went from +/- 6000 golds when entering that Pride to a bit more than 8000 golds after clearing the 2 non-barracks levels.
Will allow me to get a 2nd special generated superitem in Last Hope.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 02, 2012, 07:41:05 am »

I have to say, I'm really loving Tome. Coming from Crawl, where everything was (mostly) "yargh buff yourself and press the directions keys" for melee or "spam your best conjuration at the monsters and regen mana somehow", Tome just feels so tactically diverse and with lots of unique options. All of the melee classes are (gasp!) different and with unique abilities, ranged classes don't involve tedious ammo management, and magic classes have a lot of unique powers. Too many, actually, I really don't like playing them for that reason.

So far my favorite class is Temporal Warden. Being able to instantly switch between ranged and melee is absolutely amazing, and I like the whole "sustain a bunch of stuff, weaken with ranged, kill with melee" style. Cursed was also fun but a bit hard to start up.

The only real problem I have with this game are some of the really unfair enemy abilities. My first good Temporal Warden got inside the fortress and then found himself slowly killed off by some Creeping Doom spell from a rare blade horror. I didn't have any cure magic, so  ::)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 02, 2012, 08:22:03 am »

Yes, due the very random abilities and resist that are given to rare, unique and elite versions of the monsters, if you're not lucky the game can generate one that can kill you in 2 or 3 turns even if you're fully equipped, even if you reached level 50 and have maxed nearly every kind of resistance.
And all those rune/infusion curing those very very nasty effects can't do much when some of those monsters just re-affect you each 2 or 3 turns (while you abilities/rune/infusion cooldown are way higher than that)

That's why i think always having a teleportation ready is of extreme importance to survival, and never wait too long when facing a battle you believe you're not going to win, as some of those nasty abilities can block your teleportation too.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 02, 2012, 08:30:06 am »

Psychport, teleportation amulet... these are the best of things, generally. For escape, mind. There's basically nothing that prevents or interrupts item activations, which makes them pretty much your best "panic button" choice. Finding them, on the other hand... :P

Incidentally, the random classed stuff is basically the number one thing that gets pointed to when multiplayer is brought up. Balancing nightmare. Did you know there's actually a small flotilla of talents the AI just won't use? Because they're too unfair when used against the player? Imagine stuff like that in the hands of a human, 100x more capable and ruthless in exploiting them.

It'd be great, actually, but all the fights would be over in like two turns :P
Ask not!
Ask!

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 02, 2012, 10:50:00 am »

I managed to unlock the Storm Magic talent tree and the Wyrmic class yesterday. Now the game is asking me for donations at a time when I am barely able to feed myself. What do I do?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 02, 2012, 11:16:01 am »

Just hit cancel. There's no penalty for not donating, so you can decline every time those pop up.
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 02, 2012, 01:37:30 pm »

level 62 ?
Damn those uniques and their cheating around the level 50 cap :D