Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 471325 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #555 on: September 02, 2012, 02:17:43 pm »

Only the player has a level 50 cap :P

... and only in the main campaign. Well, and arena. Infinite dungeon, assuming you manage to survive to that point, you can keep on going past 50. The level 5 limit on talents opens up, too, once you hit that point.

It still freaking demolishes you :D
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 02, 2012, 02:57:12 pm »

Ye, I really think something needs to be done with uniques and talent caps, because I remember a while ago when a sufficiently high-level Beckon would be an automatic -1 life, because good luck with that. I hear Solipsist uniques are kind of similar this beta, but I've barely played it, so I haven't seen anything of the sort yet.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 02, 2012, 03:16:38 pm »

There's been off and on work on it, yeah. It progresses as versions go along and stuff gets tweaked. It usually gets fixed on a talent-by-talent basis instead of a wider talent cap thing, though, because if it'll break on high talent levels for the enemy, well, it can do the same on the player's end if they push things the right way. Fixes stuff on both ends, heh.

Solipsist uniques are pretty nasty, though, yeah. Depends on what talents they get and some other stuff, but they can seriously ruin your day at times. Bugger to kill, plenty of damage, nasty nasty status effects, and then those thought-forged monstrosities. It can be a lotta' pain, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 02, 2012, 03:16:42 pm »

And a level 67 unique in High Peak, maybe someone should tell them that the level is cap is 50 :D

Very strangely it was a push over in comparison to nearly everything i fought in High Peak , with lots of very though battles with tons of elite versions of regular monsters.

Maybe it's because of the -20 physical, as my character is a brawler, despite i can deal several kind of elemental damage (that this unique has strong resistance against), the primary source of it is still physical, so basically my character was the worst kind of enemy this unique could face.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:18:29 pm by Robsoie »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 02, 2012, 03:31:31 pm »

Hah... yeah, the actual set uniques (Which the Arch Zephyr is among the ranks of) are usually more or less pushovers compared to... a lot of things. Especially the random-classed monstrosities :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 02, 2012, 04:00:44 pm »

Indeed, on a lower level of High Peak , i had to run away from one of the elite version of a "radiant horror" (stronger version of the "luminous horror" that can be met in the Prides vaults too), the thing was simply unkillable due to how -very hard- it hits, his resist very high to nearly everything and his regen way too high when you teleport away from it (and you can't fight without running away often considering how hard the thing hit).

Basically it was a similar siutation to the farportal guy i mentionned previously.
Only boss of a High Peak floor i decided to skip to keep my character having an extra remaining life (she's on her last leg) for Sanctum

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 03, 2012, 05:03:56 am »

Well Granmeri, my formerly-level 23 Higher Archmage died in the Ruined Dungeon after having lost several lives in the Halfling Complex. The funny thing was I knew she was going to die tonight. It was a feeling within my very soul as I went into the Ruined Dungeon with her that Granmeri was just going to die.

I just didn't expect that it would be to two Inner Demons who in one turn destroyed her shields, turned her to stone and shattered her into pieces with arcane magic. Oh well, at least I know what kind of a build I can go for with archmage that will carry me so far.

...However I am a little frustrated with both the crash to desktop followed by freezing that happened while I was trying to get Granmeri through Trollmire again. I think it may have had to do with my CPU heating up a fair bit though - I notice if I play Tales of Maj'Eyal for too long and if my CPU's temperature is at or within a few degrees of 70c that the game will slow down and crash more often. Then again my computer gets to that temperature with any game other than ADOM and Morrowind, and that's with the cleaning I did earlier this evening.

Regardless of these problems I'm finding that Tales of Maj'Eyal is probably one of my favorite games right about now. I play almost nothing else even with me trying to get back into Dwarf Fortress and Morrowind. Oh well, what are you going to do?

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 03, 2012, 06:12:12 am »

Soooo... shit's on Steam's Greenlight, yo! Go vote that sucker up, because Tome4 hungers for new souls!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93674769

For those not in the know, it's Steam's new game verification process, to determine which games are popular enough to be on it.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 03, 2012, 06:16:21 am »

Oh well, what are you going to do?
You can give a try at lowering the graphics settings, if you haven' already. Set particles to 0 or 1, disable mostly everything, etc. If you don't have a decent graphics card, T4 will happily consume your CPU to make up for the slack, heh. For me, if I don't have most everything off, T4 idles at 100% CPU... with everything off, it idles more along the lines of 5-10%, though it loves spiking up to 100% when resting, auto exploring, etc. T4's actually pretty intensive, as roguelikes go.

Alternately, check out the addons on t4's website and try the one called "reduced ultrashield particles". It fixes a known bug with some things in the game using a particularly intense particle effect, which can cause heavy spiking on weak GPU systems. It probably isn't helping you heating issues :P
Ask not!
Ask!

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 03, 2012, 06:29:35 am »

Oh well, what are you going to do?
You can give a try at lowering the graphics settings, if you haven' already. Set particles to 0 or 1, disable mostly everything, etc. If you don't have a decent graphics card, T4 will happily consume your CPU to make up for the slack, heh. For me, if I don't have most everything off, T4 idles at 100% CPU... with everything off, it idles more along the lines of 5-10%, though it loves spiking up to 100% when resting, auto exploring, etc. T4's actually pretty intensive, as roguelikes go.

Alternately, check out the addons on t4's website and try the one called "reduced ultrashield particles". It fixes a known bug with some things in the game using a particularly intense particle effect, which can cause heavy spiking on weak GPU systems. It probably isn't helping you heating issues :P

Yeah I think my ATI Radeon 9250 is only decent for something like Morrowind, Mabinogi or Dwarf Fortress in terms of graphics in more modern games. It may be able to run HD "video" with the greatest of ease but Armok help me if I want decent graphics for a video game that came out after 2005.

It's just as well, I would rather have a decent storyline over superior visuals any day. I'm used to low-light situations and some of the graphics these games have to offer hurt my eyes worse than that big flaming ball of gas I wanted to block out with a giant dish ever since I was eleven.

...Anyways, I'll set those graphics the way they should be. Then I'm going to see if I can run Tales of Maj'Eyal and play it without sleep once again. It's a little before 4:30 AM and honestly I don't want to sleep because of some issues with my PTSD that occur at least a few times a week where I'm living. Tales of Maj'Eyal is a good escape from that.

And just as a heads up, if you see "sirkh" in the chat, that's me. I thought I should let people know for some reason.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 03, 2012, 07:48:38 am »

Yes, ToME4 seems heavy on the CPU use despite being turn based. Better turn off some video options to avoid unecessary heating.

Used the old teleportation trick in the *spoiler edited* (a trick that worked in the older version too) to get back to the worldmap before i should be able to :).
I needed that as i totally forgot to get all my superitems from the merchant with all the amount of gold i had by that point (i could afford in total 3 superitems), will get back to that place later.

Too bad the Paladin that join you in the final battle does not have a special line of dialogue when you met her again in town , to explain why she's there instead of getting killed alone against the *spoiler edited*.

As i forgot to get back to the "Room of Death" in the Vor Armory, and i was wondering with the amazing equipment i had now if my Brawler could take them .

And he managed to do that, though i was mistaken the 1st time as i thought there were 4 overpowered wyrm, but in fact they were 7 !
A though battle, but with some "door tactic" it was possible to fight one at a time and finally overpower ( :D ) them, but i would have hated to try to fight them earlier.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

the superitems are really worth not wasting your gold in shops for the whole game (and a good reason to save the merchant in the Trapped quest), they're better than artifacts in most case.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:34:30 am by Robsoie »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 03, 2012, 10:06:44 am »

For anyone playing this and getting the error where the loading bar never moves past 0% on launch, I think I've figured out that it is somehow related to resolution. I've always had this problem on my computer running at 1024x768, but not my laptop that runs at a higher resolution. I just recently found that by increasing the resolution or extending my desktop to my second monitor, it'll start loading properly even if I've already launched it and it was sitting stuck at 0%.

I couldn't find any proposed solutions anywhere and found this by sheer chance, so hopefully someone finds it helpful.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 03, 2012, 12:08:05 pm »

Yeah, i had the same problem when i launched b42 for the 1st time it was just freezing, i found this topic that made it work by modifying the setting file generated after the frozen launching :
http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=34503

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 03, 2012, 01:50:56 pm »

Atamathon ... bah, what a disapointement and a complete push over.
My character i mean, she only survived by teleporting away and running out of the level :D

On that very small Atamathon level there's a "Damp Cave" in the middle, before the fight i went inside, it's very small too, there were a few bandits and a simple elite version of one of them and ... nothing else, even the loot was very basic.

Is this "Damp Cave" place having any purpose that i didn't noticed ?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 03, 2012, 02:00:31 pm »

Nah, it's just one of the 'mini-events' that was implemented... this beta? Last? One of the two, anyway. S'like the font of life and crap, just a bit more violent.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 163