Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 471307 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #585 on: September 04, 2012, 03:34:26 pm »

If you folks want to beat the arena, I'd say this is the beta to do it in. Once you get past about round 15 or so, the swarms stop and its pretty much 1 on 1 to 1 on 4ish. I just cleared the 30 round variant with a yeek alchemist, and it wasn't even that hard. Throw bomb, collect gold, rest for next round. Occasionally I'd have to throw two bombs. or shoot my staff at someone. The only problem is the complete lack of reliable drops, but that didn't actually make a difference at all for my run.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 05, 2012, 03:08:01 am »

I never tried the Arena gametype, and i must say it's surprisingly fun.
I gave a try to the 30 waves variant with a Dwarf Berserker and got killed in wave 25, out of healing solution as one of the opponent blocked all my infusion/runes early and they were hammering my character from every location.
The not really nice items i collected didn't really help as they were not offering any item based abilities.

The mid-boss nearly took forever to kill, dancing around the pillar to get my health back between 2 strikes (the thing hitting very hard), that giant unique snake thing was regenerating like crazy. A battle of attrition.

But all in all it's a very refreshing and fun way to play ToME4, will have to try again.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 05, 2012, 01:35:11 pm »

Yes ! managed to beat the Arena (the 30 waves version) with a Dwarf Bulwark
http://te4.org/characters/7727/tome/4a675c82-0581-447f-901c-d423f2af51a7

The experience penalty Dwarves have is showing as he was only level 20 when i managed to defeat the master of the Arena, but lots of fun and some though fights.

Question about the Arena :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Question 2 :
Is there anything to do after completing the Arena and beating the arena master ?
I mean i can move my character around, there's no wave countdown anymore, and no exit anywhere, can only leave by pressing Escape and Save&Exit.
Or is that a bug ?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 02:07:14 pm by Robsoie »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 05, 2012, 02:10:05 pm »

May be a bug, I'unno. Been a while since I won an arena go, heh. I vaguely remember some kind of "finished" dialogue on the 60 wave version, but that was a long ways back.

As for the unique critters, I'm pretty sure the dialogue was just the original creator (DG wasn't the one that coded most of the arena module, actually~) playing around :P You might code dive to double check, though, I suppose...

The unique ones are set for the arena, though, they're not random.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 05, 2012, 02:32:13 pm »

I had the dialogue and achievement, it's just that after that i can continue to move around etc... with nothing else happening (that part is logical as the Arena game is completed).

For the unique girl and her intriguing dialogues, i guess i'll never know (can't find anything about this on the ToME4 boards too), not being able to read the matrix :D

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 05, 2012, 02:41:48 pm »

... lua's pretty easy to read, though, even for the non-matrix enabled.

This is the totality for the bit of code you were asking about, actually:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No qualifiers for anything special, so it's just throwaway fluff. Until someone makes an addon fleshing it out, anyway :P

You can check out the whole thing in ...\data\chats\arena.lua. The .team file in ...\game\modules\ is mostly just a renamed zip file, you can open it up with pretty much any archival tool (winzip/rar, .7zip, etc.).
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 05, 2012, 04:21:31 pm »

Thanks, i thought it was wrote in more complicated pieces of code, seems easy to find something in those .lua

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 05, 2012, 09:25:27 pm »

Well, the Caldera broke my game and no one seems to be able to help fix it. I'm debating on whether I should just give up on waiting for someone that is able to help to come along and start a new game or even bother playing this again because honestly that bug is kind of a deal-breaker.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 05, 2012, 11:42:41 pm »

I recall reading a while back that the caldera is extremely broken, they know about it, and the only fix is to save before going in, and back up that save to a different location. Otherwise, it should be fixed next beta. But I could be wrong.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 06, 2012, 04:48:34 am »

Yes, unfortunately due to ToME4 insisting in autosaving everytime you're entering a new dungeon/world map, if you do not have backed up a previous saved game before entering the caldera, your current game is completely broken as everytime you'll load it will lead into the bug.

The bug is said to be fixed for the next version but sadly nothing can be done if you have no previous saved game backed up.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 06, 2012, 08:15:29 am »

So wait if I want to unlock Solipsist right now I have to make a throwaway character and hope he gets it at 20? What's the easiest character to level to 20, then?
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 06, 2012, 08:34:50 am »

Yeek alchemist or archmage, probably. They just kind of roll over the early game and yeeks in general can hit twenty well before finishing the second tier dungeons (my current yeek solipsist is like twenty six three upon going first tiers, OF, Nur :-\).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:09:29 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 06, 2012, 08:54:47 am »

Looks like lots of new fun is planned for the next version :
http://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2012/09/news/sneak-peak-b43-new-featureprodigies

Those "prodigies" sounds like they're a great addition  because they're rewarding for the player to manage to get a character surviving up to that point.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 06, 2012, 09:20:32 am »

I recall reading a while back that the caldera is extremely broken, they know about it, and the only fix is to save before going in, and back up that save to a different location. Otherwise, it should be fixed next beta. But I could be wrong.

Well after talking to some people on IRC last night I backed up my broken save for bug-fixing and decided to do something I've never done for any game - make multiple saves with different characters. As it stands right now the builds I want to play are...

• Higher Archmage
  • Higher Alchemist
  • Higher Necromancer
  • Higher Paradox Mage
  • Cornac Shadowblade
  • Shalore Arcane Blade
  • Thalore Summoner
  • Thalore Archer

The rest don't sound very much like something I would want to play, and the ones I have listed sound like ones that would fit pretty well with concepts I have developing in my head. Last night before I went to bed I started up Granmeri and Aldeen, a Higher Archmage and a Higher Alchemist respectively. The next one on my list that I have unlocked right now is a Cornac Shadowblade, which I'll work on after I not only get back from my appointment today but also after I write down the character description for Aldeen. I wrote one for Granmeri the day before yesterday and revised it again the same day, and I'm pretty satisfied with her description.

...I do the whole description thing for both creative reasons and as part of an experiment into psychology that I've been running and tweaking since I was around eight or nine years old, though it's not so much of an experiment as it is a coping mechanism. However the last time I explained it in depth to someone I got mixed reactions - some thought I was imaginative while others thought I was downright loony. Either way this bit of experimentation helps me enjoy games like Tales of Maj'Eyal more by giving me a face to the character I'm playing and allowing me to form a greater sense of attachment, among other things.

Looks like lots of new fun is planned for the next version :
http://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2012/09/news/sneak-peak-b43-new-featureprodigies

Those "prodigies" sounds like they're a great addition  because they're rewarding for the player to manage to get a character surviving up to that point.

I like the sound of [REDACTED] on an Archmage personally, though as I said on the ToME forums just a little bit ago I would probably have to improve my build and overall strategy for Granmeri by around 200% just to even be able to reach level 40 under ten percent of the time. If I go by the statistics I have built up for myself I can get Granmeri to around level 20 or higher about thirty percent of the time. That's over six runs that I've done with her so far and with the average level she rises to before game over time being about 17.

If I wanted Granmeri to actually beat the game I would have to get about a 250% improvement. The 200% to get the first prodigy would mean her average level would have to be 34, while in order to beat the game her average level on a non-successful run would have to be 43. If these predictions I am making come true then going by how fast it's taken me to rise to that average level I am at now compared to how long it took me for my first roguelike - It took me seven years just to get to an average level of 13 in that game and that is still my average today - I'm guessing that I might beat Tales of Maj'Eyal within the next five to seven months.

I'm probably going to be wrong on this one though, but then again you never know. It is my opinion though that Tales of Maj'Eyal is a lot easier to get into and understand than Ancient Domains of Mystery, somewhat easier than Dungeon Crawl and Gruesome, and a little bit easier than Dwarf Fortress. I hope I am right and Tales of Maj'Eyal is the first roguelike I am ever able to beat but honestly I'm just going to wait and see.

Anyways, I've got to get going for an appointment out of town with my psychiatrist. I'll see to finding out a nice little concept for a Cornac Shadowblade while I'm on the bus I guess? Either way, have fun today.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 06, 2012, 12:27:40 pm »

Why not try to start writing a story setup in the ToME4 world ? you're already creating descriptions and background for your characters, so why not get into the next step and write a story with them, could be a good way to focus your imagination out of your personnal problems.

Lots of people are coping with their personnal problems, their pain, etc .. with working and creating something, writing is one of the methods to achieve this as it get your own focus on something else than your own problems.

Additionally  i'm sure the devs may be open to additional lore and stories could be perfect for helping on that point, the lore documents you find ingame are really helping to make the ToME4 world more interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 163