Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 471305 times)

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #1170 on: March 25, 2013, 01:05:19 pm »

So I've been playing Oozemancer a bit... yeah, yeah it's kind of ridiculous. But unlike the Solipsist it's god damn fun! Also you can actually die, I even came close to it a few times. I guess the main difference is the spell ranges and the mobility - I don't feel like I have to go all up in their grill to do anything. This is a problem with the Archmage in my opinion, especially Arcane - aether breach is so short-ranged.

Anyway, is there any good reason, if I have 5/1/5/1 in Fungus to not get two regen infusions and set them to autocast when available? So far I've always done it and it seems to work out, but I'd like to know if it could somehow be detrimental.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: March 25, 2013, 01:55:32 pm »

Anyway, is there any good reason, if I have 5/1/5/1 in Fungus to not get two regen infusions and set them to autocast when available?

You can additionally autocast mucus (with the slime spawn talent leveled) and your mosses and just play the game with your nose afterwards.

You might have to move your nose to the "acid spit" key for the wyrm vault.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:57:51 pm by Encased in burning magma »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: March 25, 2013, 02:56:35 pm »

I killed Atamathon and Linaniil to make up for not murdering them during my last game. Atamathon's attacks deal 2400-2800 damage in nightmare. Not bad. I didn't need to equip the staff of brokennessabsorption to kill him.

Linaniil gets a major upgrade in nightmare. Her meteoric crash prodigy has 0 cooldown, and draconian body has a much shorter cooldown. Even with her upgrade she died very quickly.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: March 25, 2013, 04:21:56 pm »

How do you kill something that does 2400-2800 damage to you at each attack ?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: March 25, 2013, 05:51:20 pm »

Probably pre-resistance?

I keep playing archmages even though I want MORE DAKKA FIRE and they seem powerful, I expect some other classes (doomed) are better for sheer damage output. But archmages also have pretty good defensive ability in terms of Aegis tree and especially Disruption Shield (in terms of surviving hits, as opposed to proactively shutting down threats like antimagic). And then temporal form prodigy for dealing with true fire immunes (like luminous/radiant horrors, who are healed by fire instead of just being resist and thus subject to Wildfire pierce).

I was doing pretty good with my last one, got to the east for the first time in a long time and had a pretty freaking sweet rare dragonbone staff and over something like +80% fire damage. I wasted a bunch of points unlocking stone alchemy because I thought imbue item was way better than it was (I thought you could imbue more than just chest armor; 5 points for +6 stats or +8% all damage feels pretty weak). And then I wasted another cat point bumping Wildfire tree to 1.5, making the Wildfire sustain reduce fire damage dealt to myself by 105%... and meaning that, since i don't take fire damage anymore, Harmony stops triggering from my own Burning Embers talent. So that's two cat points, 6 generic points (alchemy tree; I only noticed after I bumped it to 5 that I couldn't unspend them), and another 5ish generic giving me only about 25% of the benefit it could have done otherwise. Suffice it to say, when I finally blew myself up for the last time with a 1200ish temporal fireflash (which normally wouldn't be fatal but I was fighting only one thing and didn't have any shields up), I shrugged and decided it'd be better to start over.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: March 25, 2013, 05:59:52 pm »

Re: Stone alchemy: Six points for 5% resall, 10% all dam+5%spellcrit, or +30 stats (+5 per stat). Throw in a prodigy and you triple those numbers (base 30% resall with thick skin? Sign me up!). It's hefty, and that's ignoring sexy beasts like the Wozzname Rock. Can also just ignore imbue and go 5/5 extract and rake in the money. Two or three extra merchant artifacts is potentially worth a cat point and a few generics.

And yeah, imbue/extract run off raw (unless you went 4/5 in imbue for some odd reason? The fifth tier artifact gems are half the fun of getting that talent maxed.). So five points in imbue (6 total) gets you access to fifth tier gems for imbuing. The cat point more than the generics is the expensive part.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Eurynomos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: March 26, 2013, 02:23:26 am »

I keep playing archmages even though I want MORE DAKKA FIRE and they seem powerful, I expect some other classes (doomed) are better for sheer damage output. But archmages also have pretty good defensive ability in terms of Aegis tree and especially Disruption Shield (in terms of surviving hits, as opposed to proactively shutting down threats like antimagic). And then temporal form prodigy for dealing with true fire immunes (like luminous/radiant horrors, who are healed by fire instead of just being resist and thus subject to Wildfire pierce).
I've played doomed, and I don't think they have the same sheer damage out put as an archmage, or at least a good tribeam archmage. Maybe I wasn't building him correctly, but there's my two cents. The corruptor, though, probably is better with sheer damage than the archmage. Luminous and radiant horrors are why I'm always willing to put class points in other combat skills, like manathrust and lightning, at least temporarily.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: March 26, 2013, 02:29:06 am »

How long is tribeam meant to hold out? I mean it seems to start to drop out later on, but there is nothing really to replace it, is there?
How do I late game archmage spell?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: March 26, 2013, 02:44:35 am »

It's always going to be pretty capable for usage, but the damage does indeed fall off a bit. It'll still be several hundred damage (300-500 or so, iirc) per beam later on.

Late game archmage, damage wise, from what I recall (And note: I haven't actually played one to late game in a long, long time, so I'm going by what other people say), involves a lot of massive AoE and the occasional layered DoT fields (inferno, glacial vapor, etc.).

Just... scope out the vault. Check the winners, see what talents they've invested in.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: March 26, 2013, 09:35:18 am »

Doomed has the highest damage? Nope. Doomed are mid-ranged attrition casters with lots of debuffs. Their damage kinda sucks, unless you get Mental Tyranny.

Corruptors can nuke entire rooms all day. Massive firepower is their gimmick. Alchemists are close, but they only have 1 nuke. Corruptors have several, due to Overkill.

My geomancer regularly deals 1700-2200 per attack with 120% physical damage boost, 80% penetration, and 220% critical multiplier. A fire archmage can probably deal similar damage.

How do you kill something that does 2400-2800 damage to you at each attack ?

Aegis and max resists. It allows you to tank a couple of Atamathon's attacks before you're forced to flee. It's kinda hard to flee from Atamathon though, since his rush has a range of 20 and you're stuck on a small map.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: March 26, 2013, 10:24:57 am »

Aegis is that good ?

I remember reading some people mentionning that it wasn't really worth taking but if it can help to take more than 2400 damage, i will have to give a try.
High damaging ranged enemies have always been the doom of my archimages due to their not so good health.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: March 26, 2013, 11:56:03 am »

Ooooh snap son!

http://te4.org/characters/15454/tome/9ebb7a65-4379-4c21-8146-7454d86bc212

Where's that band wagon, did I make it in time? Third win, woo! [also third antimagic win, but shush]

Cleared the OP wyrms, waltzed in the final boss fight at xlvl 47, even went and killed Atamathon after! Not before dying to him a few times, though, since I decided to stick to my principles and not inspect him, instead learning his abilities in person. Don't do that, kids. No reason to.

Oozemancer is really fun, and incredibly powerful. It was also an interesting lesson in resistance penetration, decreasing resistances and ignoring resistances, since I've never had to deal with those. Oozemancer doesn't seem to do all that much damage, my highest hit was about 1k, but everything is AoE and with the right combination of talents all enemies are at -50 nature resistance or below, so mobs die in a few turns. Also antimagic makes you nearly invincible anyway.

I still died three times in the west, of course. Got my regeneration infusions bugged somehow once, opened a vault in Dreadfell which had 5 greater demons in a single-tile corridor who pulled me in, and finally, went in the dark crypt. First floor, BOOM - 12 or 15 spellcasters, two rares. Sad thing is, I could've won, but at that point I didn't know how to fight groups of casters and I messed up my ability use order.

The greatest problem was that Tome's endgame is horrible. From the prides on I didn't really have any fun - not because of the class itself, definitely. Tome slows to a crawl, and it's just tons and tons of indistinguishable enemies. I remember a while ago I got a Paradox Mage to the prides and was having similar amounts of un-fun; and when the greatest class in the history of games is not fun to play, something needs to be done.

What I liked most about oozemancer is the range, and the fact that your AoEs don't seem to hit you. See Archmage? This is how you do things, not by dropping arcane explosions in your own lap.

What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: March 26, 2013, 06:23:08 pm »

My mistake about doomed then. I was thinking back to an old post where some guy was talking about walking into rooms and getting blinded and waiting it out and everything was dead by then. Also something about 1000+ nukes through walls (not sure if that's an old build or what).

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: March 26, 2013, 10:04:11 pm »

That might have been before Doomed was nerf, perhaps. Archmage has better damage than Doomed, definitely, but by no means does Doomed have low damage, heh. A late-game Doomed can debuff his enemies' resistances hilariously hard (I'm talking probably something like -50% mind resistance), spread Darkness like ketchup on fries to buff his damage up and mess up the LoS of his enemies, use Unseen Force and Blast to do crazy AoE damage and clear rooms, and then use the punishments tree to lay some smackdown on individual targets (although Hateful Whisper can be a very nice crowd-clearer, depending on chance). Oh, and all the while shadows are probably flitting around layering over some extra DPS. And the Feed tree can add on some more extra special debuffing (stealing enemy resistances and damage? okay!)

And if you open up the Fears tree (although I don't have much experience with it) you can just screw your enemies over entirely and cause them to attack each other.

And the Gesture tree makes you able to hit as hard as a traditional warrior in melee, and the last skill in the gesture tree plus Deflection can add up to some very nice damage nullification.

Overall, Doomed have a different playstyle and less damage than an archmage (in most cases), but they ain't weak :V
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: March 26, 2013, 11:35:40 pm »

Heck there are quite a few classes that never do great damage but get by based on their other abilities.

Mind you all the examples I can think of aer subpar... but I am sure they exist.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 163