Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 473100 times)

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #1755 on: February 13, 2014, 03:32:01 pm »

I finally got a lich past dreadfell in nightmare roguelike.

http://te4.org/characters/30061/tome/819ee79d-277a-42fb-9f28-50a4e3e4a4d7

The new animus tree is nice. Consume Soul helps with necro's mana issue. Rare husks are great. Early on, they last a few dungeons. Sadly, no healing ever means they die pretty fast later on. Best husks: summoners, solipsists and oozemancers. When they die you get exp. I'm not sure if that's a bug.

Oh, and an orange cat just invaded my flying fortress. Mummra is not pleased.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: February 13, 2014, 03:37:46 pm »

The Animus "Consume Soul" skill can be used for healingl too, as it both increase health and mana.

But it's sad that considering the big investment (lots of skills points) a Lich necromancer will still have a much harder time than a Ghoul necromancer (Retch is a nice big regen for healing both yourself and your troops while hurting living enemies) or a Skeleton necromancer (Re-assemble is a great healing skill).

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: February 14, 2014, 07:39:35 pm »

My level 41 necro died. Got back from the east and touched a tombstone in the old forest. The level 124 spawns in the timed graveyard event stun-locked and pummeled him to death. I forgot you needed both stun and confusion immunity for that place. That was embarrassing.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 07:47:52 pm by Dr Feelgood »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: February 15, 2014, 01:26:51 pm »

For those interested, i noticed the dev posted a teaser of the zones that will make it in the incoming campaign "dlc"
http://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2014/02/orcs/orcs-campaign-teaser-planned-zones

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: February 15, 2014, 05:11:43 pm »

Still really sceptical about steampunk stuff in my Tomes. Or steampunk in general. I love the aesthetic, but all the rest... Still, as long as the new campaign isn't as dull and boring as the East in the normal campaign I'm so god damn sold.

Also wasn't
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
an unused boss fight at the end of the original Tome4 campaign? There are files and stuff in-game IIRC. Or am I going crazy?
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: February 15, 2014, 05:43:05 pm »

Also wasn't
an unused boss fight at the end of the original Tome4 campaign? There are files and stuff in-game IIRC. Or am I going crazy?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: February 15, 2014, 05:44:14 pm »

There are several elements that the dev was working on in the ToME4 file but weren't finished or satisfying to him enough , like your fortress flying that is not there (there's even a lore entry for it that you can't then get as the event does not exist yet) or some classes (runic golem) .

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: February 15, 2014, 08:53:26 pm »

... considering the very presence of such critters apparently causes stuff like Deep Bellow's Maw (and, perhaps, the Infinite Dungeon), I don't think it would actually matter if it went on a rampage of destruction or not. World would still be buggered.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: February 15, 2014, 09:15:10 pm »

... considering the very presence of such critters apparently causes stuff like Deep Bellow's Maw (and, perhaps, the Infinite Dungeon), I don't think it would actually matter if it went on a rampage of destruction or not. World would still be buggered.
IIRC, the Infinite dungeon is a result of one of ye olden gods being chased by a sher'tul, and it basically just keeps making dungeon levels in an attempt to get away from him. I mean, in theory it would not be infinite, but it would constantly be getting deeper, and as they have a several thousand plus year head start, you are unlikely to ever catch up.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: February 15, 2014, 09:39:54 pm »

Yeeaaah, and a-whatever is one of the ye olden gods. The biggest, really. Real issue is the stuff that spawns in the ID, and if whatever the critter's doing to make those levels to let things (like the player) essentially break the hard limits of mortal capability (i.e. level 50, 5/5 talents)... imagine that let loose on the surface, by something notably more powerful. Poor everything, even if said something isn't actively screwing with people.

Though yah, there's a limit to the infinite dungeon. S'defined in the zone file somewhere... iirc, it's somewhere in the five digits. 10k levels or summat like that. No, wait, sorry.
Code: [Select]
max_level = 1000000000,
So ten digits. One billion dollars levels.

E: Iirc, someone cheated themselves up to the nines and/or debug mode'd themselves into the depths. Game started crashing on level generation somewhere in the hundreds, if my memory of their report isn't failing.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:56:26 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: February 15, 2014, 10:04:25 pm »

warning : Wall of text and speculation
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:07:45 pm by Robsoie »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: February 15, 2014, 10:32:05 pm »

Mm... that's assuming she's still alive. I'd half wager there's good odds she's either dead (By the sher'tul getting to her in the end -- last I paid attention the only two living gods were A-bruddah and ID-dood, which would preclude sista'-A among the living.) or corrupted somehow (by the Spellblaze, or something related to it.). It's noted in game that the seas are very different post-spellblaze from what they used to be, that being the reason contact was lost with other continents. If the seas are actually a representation of that lady's status (as implied by the seas being said to have grown larger), then something happened.

'Course, that "seas doubled" bit could also be superstitious explanation for rising sea levels, with those actually having some other cause (Caps melting due to sher'tul's war on the gods, the spellblaze, the naga buggering about with something, who knows what else).

Also kinda' makes me wonder what a possible explanation for the violent seas and ocean winds could be... axial tilt? Tidal forces changing to some degree (Okay, who screwed with the moon(s?))? Atmospheric changes? On one hand, magic exists in Maj'Eyal, and things are obviously physics-breaking. On the other, physics do still seems to work to some degree (steampunk!), so it's possible normal environmental stuff is happening (or at least trying to, before magic buggers it up), and there's multiple events in T4's history that could cause world-wide environmental changes.

Be interesting to see where DG and co' goes with it, in any case.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: February 15, 2014, 11:03:46 pm »

Mm... that's assuming she's still alive. I'd half wager there's good odds she's either dead (By the sher'tul getting to her in the end -- last I paid attention the only two living gods were A-bruddah and ID-dood, which would preclude sista'-A among the living.) or corrupted somehow (by the Spellblaze, or something related to it.).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: February 16, 2014, 08:20:33 am »

spoilers Frumple, spoilers
That is not dead which can eternal lie

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: February 16, 2014, 05:05:50 pm »

Ehhhh... honestly I'd probably ignore spoilers for a roguelike's story of all things, too.

Just noticed I have a level 23 Corruptor out there, going to play it a bit. Went for diseases/catalepsy first, for insane burst [and by insane I mean JESUS]. Sadly it seems bugged in that it doesn't restore the Vim if the target dies... and the target will die. So that forces me to only use it as a boss kill/emergency AoE, instead of nuking every single thing in the game while cackling.

I'm sort of hazy on the sustains. Got a point in the one that increases your crit chance, and the one that increases your crit multiplier. I suppose I'll max the crit chance one, then max Blood Grasp for the damage. I've ignored Soul Rot - people seemed to be doing fine without it on the SA forums, and I keep hearing praise about diseases/Catalepsy.

Pretty fun so far, not sure what prodigies I should be going for. Vim is still the worst resource, though! God I hate Vim.

I wonder if a Stamina/Vim melee class would work. A brawler, but instead of focusing on multiple fast hits, it focuses on singular headbursting hits. Spending stamina restores Vim, spending Vim restores life. Call it... "POSSESSED". The lore could be : a demon possessed you to accomplish some evil demonic goal, but discovered you were so horrible a person even prior to that, it decided to just grant you some powers and ride along for the free amusement. Demons are lazy bastards, after all. Man, the creativity, the originality. How am I not a world-famous writer.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 163