Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: What can I do with a mountain of Gold?  (Read 8431 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What can I do with a mountain of Gold?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 04:14:59 am »

I'd go with covering the map in gold 5 z-levels high, personally. Or only 4 z-levels high and make all your dwarves' furniture out of gold. Or just plate all the floors of your fortress in gold, that would be excessive enough... maybe...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 04:19:18 am »

Or you could just... make gold crafts? And, maybe, like, you know... trade them?
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 04:23:19 am »

Yeah, *gold goblets* make VERY good trade goods. Especially with a high level metalcrafter. You can also decorate them with silver.

You might as well build your whole city out of gold and rename it Eldorado Eldwarfado.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:25:45 am by Naryar »

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2011, 04:25:06 am »

Make a giant gold dwarf crushing a smaller gold elf under it's boot as a sign of dominance over the elves.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2011, 04:28:14 am »

Make a giant gold dwarf crushing a smaller gold elf under it's boot as a sign of dominance over the elves.

This is a giant golden statue of a Dwarf and an !!ELF!!. The Dwarf is stepping on the !!ELF!!. The !!ELF!! is burning.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2011, 04:30:51 am »

Personally I would build an actual fortress made of gold with a massive central keep, towering walls, enclosed city, etc. All in an expansive underground grotto with a river and a road through a waterfall being the only entrance from the outside. Bonus points if the walls have magma flowing out of spouts and into a magma moat.

Also the golden fortress should be in hell.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2011, 04:52:14 am »

Why you build el dorado ofcourse. Underground in the caverns. Mix in some silver lining for style and mod in golden beds and stuff. Also entire military clad in gold chain with golden warhammers. Maybe even mod in a gold thread reaction so you can make golden clothes?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2011, 05:35:31 am »

It might be fun to make every last piece into the highest-quality, highest-value thing possible for gold, which I believe is a masterwork statue. Decorate them all as highly as possible, and see how huge a siege you can get to come pillage your new goblin magnet. Bonus points for building a "memorial" to each siege out of the goblinite each brings.

If, after several large sieges, a bright blue version of such a memorial should be attempted, that would be just perfect.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2011, 05:37:35 am »

Dwarf Fortress, now gold plated.

nnn

• Bay Watcher
  • There is a hole in your mind!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2011, 06:56:50 am »

Save please?

This would make a wonderful fort for a community or succession.
Prancer McPony has created Sparkleleaf, an iron horseshoe!  All craftsponyship is of the highest quality.  On the item is an image of DerpyHooves in microcline.  DerpyHooves is derping.  On the item is an image of a cupcake in iron.  On the item is an image of Sparkleleaf, the iron horseshoe, in bronze.

I See the Moon

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2011, 07:12:21 am »

Save please?

This would make a wonderful fort for a community or succession.

This.

My lord, can you imagine a succession game on a goldmine?

ALL THAT GOLD

ALL THOSE CONFLICTING UNFINISHED PROJECTS
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2011, 07:36:34 am »

There is a link to the save file on the first page.

Perhaps a Dwarf-made cavern, lined with gold, with gem windows scattered around it?  Large enough to cover the entire 3x3 embark, 10 z-levels high, with a *golden fortress* built in the middle of it.  Or a golden dragon, guarding its hoard of gold and gems and gold and steel and gold and ... did I mention the gold?

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2011, 07:37:27 am »

I got you beat, my site has 208,437 spaces of Native Gold and absolutely nothing else- I was first about to rage at the complete lack of any "useful" metal  but then I realized if I start building everything with gold I will have a giant siege in a very short time, ka-ching!

My Gold is so abundant that it's more abundant than any stone other than Olivine which is 455,803 units. Anywhere I dig I hit gold, it's literally impossible to not dig into gold on this fortress, it's simply everywhere.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:43:27 am by psychologicalshock »

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2011, 07:56:46 am »

My embark just got cooler - the magma vent turns out to be sticking out right in the middle of a flooded cave full of animals and cave blobs....

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2011, 08:56:38 am »

Mod in gold warhammers. Cover every tile everywhere with weapon traps.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6