Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 705357 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I kind of want to run a semiminimalist Oregon Trail Meets Giant Mecha RTD.
Where, you aren't much required to think much, but there is some strategy, mainly in mecha building and approaching problems: a river of ACIDIC MAGMA stands in your way, which, with heavy armor, you could ford, or with thrusters, you could jump, or with a drill, go under...
Hunting for food should still be a thing. And the giant monster of the week will obviously become your dinner.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 10:57:50 pm by penguinofhonor »

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Of course. BUFFALO GODZILLA HAS APPEARED.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

I would play that. I think
It's FEF, not FEOF

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

I want to play in an RTD where the players are nerds who get on Bay 12 to play RTD together. I am a fan of meta.
My character starts making an RTD about people making RTD's.

[6] You make a new meta-RTD. People join rapidly, and have their character sheets up in an instant. Apparently, all of their characters are identical to you and the other players. Not you, the character. YOU, the guy behind the screen, reading this.
This infinite recursion of space, time, and meta eventually collapses the universe into a singularity.

You will go down in the history books as the guy who created the single most destructive RTD ever. Too bad that history books just don't exist anymore.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

DARVI

STOP BEING SO AMAZING
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Isn't that like that one forum game about making a forum game?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Well, there was RTRTD...

In other news, I am itching to start a new game. A simple-ish one, without any skillgain or complicated rolls. Or even a waitlist. It's called Space Whaler Escape. Six players, starting on a spaceship that hunts "space whales" - that have about as much in common with any regular space whale as the whales of Dishonored have with regular whales. The goal is to survive and get off the ship in a safe manner, a task made difficult by certain events. The character creation process is just picking two things that your character has a bonus to, and two items that each have a bonus to one thing or another. From there, it's straight d6 to do stuff that would require rolling for.

The game's simple enough, but I have a very bad history with starting parallel projects. Usually running something new while something else is already running (like Multiworld Madness) has bad consequences for either project. :\
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

I was completely sold at "Space Whale" and even more so when I got to the "r".

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I suppose to be fair, you don't really see much of the space whales in-game, since it's kind of about something different - i.e. getting off the ship. But that really depends on what the players do once the game starts.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

A game about violently hunting down large dangerous creatures is a game that Bay12 will actually focus on.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

I suppose to be fair, you don't really see much of the space whales in-game, since it's kind of about something different - i.e. getting off the ship. But that really depends on what the players do once the game starts.

I spent half an hour yesterday looking through a bunch of boxes for an old copy of Moby Dick that I know I have: that, as much as the idea of vicious man-on-space whale combat was what grabbed me, I have to say.

Either way I like the idea a great deal.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I suppose it really wouldn't do to run the exact same game twice.

The game can probably be adapted to that... I mean, dermonster did link me to a copy of Metamorphica...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, okay. Let's have the Space Whaler RTD work like this then.

The basic one-line description is: Einsteinian Roulette meets Call of Cthulhu and gangs up on The Deadliest Catch.

Premise:
You are a team of (roughly) six individuals that do ALL the work aboard a small, privately owned spaceship, the SUS "Inhibitable", a Protsvetanie class space-whaler that's somehow both pretty large and incredibly cramped, like an inverted Tardis. It's structured a little like a submarine, and is designed for hunting and processing the various horrors of deep space, colloquially referred to as "Space Whales", that reportedly make surprisingly good sushi. Most basic functions of the ship can be performed by a somewhat dumb AI and its complement of robots, should the working crew not want to do work besides tell the ship where to go and what to shoot. Space Whales are always in season, and can be hunted with abandon, seeing as there doesn't seem to be an end to the things. The crew of the Inhibitable happily obliges, making money in the best way known space has to offer.

Gameplay:
The game is a series of encounters with randomly generated beasts in random environments. Players make hypothetical money by stuffing the holds with processed space whale... let's say meat, because nobody really knows whether it's actually meat. Whales will have an estimated danger rating, which multiplies the value of the processed meat - rarer meat is more expensive. Money can be used to purchase upgrades for the Inhibitable, but will mostly be used to repair torn-away sections of hull and replace lost systems and murdered crewmembers.

System:
Progressive RTD is actually very neat, so it can be used for this, greatly simplified with predetermined skills and cut-down stats. Strength, Agility, Toughness, and Intellect for stats, and the Con/Uncon/Exo/Aux/Med skills from ER. Each point to a skill adds a side to the die used for the roll.

Waitlist:
Players in the waitlist aren't cycled in normally. Instead, the crew of the Inhibitable will be able to hire new crewmembers to replace any lost ones. The more money they spend on hiring a crewmember, the more points will that crewmember's player have to distribute between his skills and stats.

TPK:
In the event of a TPK, the remains of the Inhibitable are assumed to have been found, hauled into the dock and left for purchase by anyone - anyone being the next six players in the waitlist, who essentially start from scratch, plus whatever bells and whistles survived from the previous owners.

Details:
Are to be thought up yet, because damn the Metamorphica is huge.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Are to be thought up yet, because damn the Metamorphica is huge.

Hehe, I know right?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 661