Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702220 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2011, 01:54:33 am »

That's awesome and you should feel good for it.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2011, 01:58:47 am »

That's awesome and you should feel good for it.
he said it.

the only thing I think needs to be added is a dwarven/elven mage firing a laser/gauss gun.
 :o

I haz a job for you.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2011, 01:59:38 am »

Really nice.

How about a Space-Marine-Wizard holding up the 6 die?

Also, Ion cannon being blocked by a metal shield. Add that too.

PPE:
the only thing I think needs to be added is a dwarven/elven mage firing a laser/gauss gun.
Damn mind readers...
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 13, 2011, 02:09:09 am »

Nice.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 17, 2011, 05:55:54 am »

Inspired by SeriousConcentrate and Tarran, I've decided to request feedback on the RTD I'm planning. The somewhat poorly-worded basics are as follows:

Spoiler: Setting (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Melee Combat (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Magic (click to show/hide)

Comments are welcome, but there's also a few more specific issues I'm having trouble ironing out.

For one thing, currently the only way to progress is to amass more or larger once-per-whenever bonuses. I'm thinking I'd probably like some sort of innate statistics beyond HP (and possibly a way to increase HP, for that matter), but I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. One thought would be Attack and Defense values that increase more commonly than 1/3 of the time, possibly even every time you roll at all.

As for what they'd do, I'm thinking something like adding Attacker's Attack / Defender's Defense to the damage done on a hit, so if someone with 4 Attack hits someone with 2 Defense, they get 2 extra damage. If someone with 2 Attack hits someone with 4 Defense, they deal an extra 0.5 damage. Including division with every strike might get a little complicated, but I'm not sure what else I'd do with it. Acting as some sort of damage cap has also occurred to me, but I'm not really sure how that would work. I'd also prefer if fighting enemies with higher values increased your own values faster, but again I'm not sure how to do that without it being too complex.

Any idea when it'll be available
SOON!TM

The Concepts system is a little bit confusing. You might want to either make it easier to understand or simplify it. I'd recommend the former as this sounds interesting as-is.

Another problem with the Concepts system is that I see the beginning being extremely slow and limiting for spellcasters.
I'm still not entirely sure how it's going to work myself, but fundamentally it'll be exactly like special moves but with an extra step. Instead of going Stab Guy -> Special Stab Guy Move, it'll go Light Fire -> Fire -> Fire Spell. Note that Light Fire -> Fire might be an actionless one-to-one conversion, in which case it'd work almost exactly the same.

And yes, getting started would be rather difficult... I'll have to think on that, though it's not entirely unintended.

Anyway, I'll be sure to play a Tainted for the lulz.
I expect this to be a common sentiment. :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 17, 2011, 05:57:42 am »

Your expectations are right.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 17, 2011, 06:01:36 am »

The Whole thing on Magic is a total cluster-fuck of Complexity

Make it less complex

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 17, 2011, 06:07:34 am »

No... I think the magic is good.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 17, 2011, 06:10:21 am »

What concepts do ya need for the hadoken? :3

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 17, 2011, 06:13:05 am »

Love, light, fire, anime.

It makes sense. Except for love- wait. Thats master spark.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 17, 2011, 06:14:16 am »

Hmm, I thought it was Love, Chaos, Evil.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 17, 2011, 06:34:12 am »

I wouldn't play Tainted. :3 Heroes are where it's at, son. Anyway, I'll offer up my opinions to try and get the ball rolling here.

Setting: Nothing wrong with that. Maybe elaborate a little more on what a Tainted is and how they differ compared to everything else, but I think perhaps the best way to go is no matter what/how many races you use I would give them only 1 bonus in something and 1 penalty in something. Easier to keep track of that way. Like, let's take the DF version of goblins. They're hateful little bastards so maybe they start off with some offensive skill but are barred from using a positive Concept like Love or Growth - along those lines anyway.

Perhaps instead of being separate, Tainted could just be a template you lay on top of your race that further increases their bonus and penalty? Going back to the goblin example, maybe they would start out with an additional offensive skill or just 1 strong one, but they are barred from an additional Concept for magic. Also, how do mutations work? Are they purely RP, will there be a random chance they will be positive or negative, or since the end result is a horror are they always negative?

Skill Points: Skill points sounds nice, personally. I've always had difficulty trying to figure out what the difference between a success, a critical success, and a meager success should be, and giving out skill points is a good way to differentiate. So while I'm for this idea, may I suggest an alternate one for discussion's sake? How about skill points, instead of applying specifically to a skill, are deposited into a pool, which has a cap based on your level/skill level/whatever you want to term it. A player can apply one of these to any roll in advance to keep from a critical failure; like if I was jumping from one roof to another and I had three points in reserve, I could apply one. My roll comes up: if it's a four, I don't get another point because the original roll isn't a five or six; if it's a one, then it gets adjusted up a regular failure. Maybe I grab the edge and will fall if I can't keep my grip, and someone could help me over. So I apply another of my three points to holding on until someone gets there, etc.

Melee Combat: I like the idea of being able to try situational attacks, but it may be best to keep it loose and go with the flow on those. Special moves/finishers/fatalities are a nice way to flesh out combat, and going back to my skill points suggestion maybe you could do something with that... like, if I have three points as in the example above and I want to dash past a generic mook bandit and slit his throat in one ninja-like move, you'd say I have to spend two of my points and get no bonuses. I spend the two points and roll a 3, a meager success, so I hit a major vein. He'll bleed out soon, but he's not dead yet and can still act for let's say two turns, with increasing penalties. So on and so forth.

A little further down you mention attack and defense stats, along with HP. I always like HP because it feels less arbitrary to say 'you lost your last three hit points' than to say 'the flail crushes your head, you die instantly;' it may be less realistic but I just prefer having a way to gauge how much danger I'm in and when I should run. This thought may be only somewhat related but perhaps you could raise these stats in relation to combat this way: let's say you roll attack of five+one and the enemy rolls defense of three, I get two points towards my attack EXP and when that hits the set amount it becomes Attack LV 2. On the flip side, I roll a defense of three+five and the enemy rolls an attack of four+three. I defend the attack due to my higher roll but I don't get any EXP because my unadjusted roll was lower. And for HP, maybe for every set amount you lose your cap increases? Like, for every five HP you lose and survive the battle you get an extra HP added to your maximum? That probably wouldn't work out to well but it's an idea.

Magic: It does seem a little complex at the moment but it's also cool because that level of complexity can also give you a lot of freedom if you're creative in your casting. I would suggest adding a few generic spells like Fireball and Healing as examples of how concepts can be combined so it's easier to understand the system, but other than that I don't see anything wrong with trying it out.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:50:36 am by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 17, 2011, 08:08:34 am »

Inspired by SeriousConcentrate and Tarran, I've decided to request feedback on the RTD I'm planning. The somewhat poorly-worded basics are as follows:

Spoiler: Setting (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Melee Combat (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Magic (click to show/hide)
Sounds hectic so far, but great!

Comments are welcome, but there's also a few more specific issues I'm having trouble ironing out.

For one thing, currently the only way to progress is to amass more or larger once-per-whenever bonuses. I'm thinking I'd probably like some sort of innate statistics beyond HP (and possibly a way to increase HP, for that matter), but I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. One thought would be Attack and Defense values that increase more commonly than 1/3 of the time, possibly even every time you roll at all.

As for what they'd do, I'm thinking something like adding Attacker's Attack / Defender's Defense to the damage done on a hit, so if someone with 4 Attack hits someone with 2 Defense, they get 2 extra damage. If someone with 2 Attack hits someone with 4 Defense, they deal an extra 0.5 damage. Including division with every strike might get a little complicated, but I'm not sure what else I'd do with it. Acting as some sort of damage cap has also occurred to me, but I'm not really sure how that would work. I'd also prefer if fighting enemies with higher values increased your own values faster, but again I'm not sure how to do that without it being too complex.
something based on exponents, logarithms, and factorials would be nice.

otherwise, what SC said :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 17, 2011, 08:18:11 am »

I rather like the magic system, sounds very flexible and fun. The Tainted overshoots-idea also sounds interesting. I can't say I really like the setting, but that's just because I feel there's already enough high fantasy RTD's in existance. The whole 'warring provinces' thing should be interesting, though.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 17, 2011, 08:57:27 am »

OhheyguyslookicreatedanotherRTD

Well, i am off to operate this Brand new RTD, here's an Abandoned Idea i had in my RTD folders :

A Natural Selection RTD, There are two teams, the Frontersman and the Kharaa, Frontersman, basically, human, Kharaa, Aliens, go play Natural Selection(Half life 1 mod) for the rest

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 661