Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702302 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #375 on: June 01, 2011, 06:53:47 pm »

Look at the odds, though. On a Luck 1, it becomes necromancy. On a Luck 2, as far as I've seen it simply fails. On 3 or higher, it functions to varying degrees. It generally overrides/reverses it 1/3 of the time, but the rest of the time it modifies it- [3][Luck 5] is not the same as [5][Luck 5].

Westlands is also a little odd because each spell has it's own magnitude roll, meaning luck rolls are a tad redundant- [4][Luck 5] and [4][Luck 4] might not be different enough to warrant healing a little extra, because the precise number has its own roll. [6][Luck 6] or [3][Luck 3] have still been known to bump the level up or down, however.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 01, 2011, 06:57:53 pm »

I'll go by my personal experience in the Westlands, which is Luck DOES override skill. There is no other explanation for a Healing spell becoming a Necromancy spell. If that's not the way you intend it to work then we're clearly not on the same page at all. :-\
It modified it, not overrided it. Think about a car, going north at speed X. Override would be having it back up suddenly at speed Y. The way mine works was it turned south and continued at speed X.

Modified, not override. You suffer much worse from having a good skill roll and a worse luck roll. And EVEN WORSE if you fail your skill roll and your luck roll.

Anyway, Luck rolls may vary between RTDs. The way I've been playing my RTD is quite poor, I admit. I'm not having Overshoots do what they're supposed to, all attacks base themselves on a 6 sided die (the only difference is the bonuses and penalties), and of course I'm using a 1d6 for the luck rolls, which is quite harsh. Something like a 1d10 with 1 a crit fail, 2-3 a fail, 4-5 a meh, 6-7 a good, 8 a great, and 9-10 a over would do better.

Look at the odds, though. On a Luck 1, it becomes necromancy. On a Luck 2, as far as I've seen it simply fails. On 3 or higher, it functions to varying degrees. It generally overrides/reverses it 1/3 of the time, but the rest of the time it modifies it- [3][Luck 5] is not the same as [5][Luck 5].
This.

Westlands is also a little odd because each spell has it's own magnitude roll, meaning luck rolls are a tad redundant- [4][Luck 5] and [4][Luck 4] might not be different enough to warrant healing a little extra, because the precise number has its own roll. [6][Luck 6] or [3][Luck 3] have still been known to bump the level up or down, however.
It's because of my poor rolling. I'm taking the vague result of the rolls, not the actual rolls. Meaning I take the "it's good" Instead of the [4][Luck: 5].
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 01, 2011, 08:37:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TL;DR: Good luck only matters 1/6 of the time, bad luck will always screw you over and happens 1/3 of the time, and Luck rolls just complicate matters and are essentially meaningless 1/2 the time anyway. Red text in the spoiler to reinforce my main point.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 01, 2011, 11:12:13 pm »

Roll to be a Merc

Spoiler: Background Story (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Factions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: City Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Known Gear (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Signup Sheet (click to show/hide)

This is an RTD I have been working on, and  I was wondering if you guys could help me. I need some help making up some more factions, describing the cities, making up some more cities, and working out a combat system. Could you guys help me with that ?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:19:17 pm by adwarf »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 01, 2011, 11:17:24 pm »

This is an RTD I have been working on, and  I was wondering if you guys could help me. I need some help making up some more factions, describing the cities, making up some more cities, and working out a combat system. Could you guys help me with that ?
I can think up some factions and maybe some cities if you want after I post my RTD's Reformed Rules.

On another note, I'm getting really close to posting the Reformed Rules on my RTD.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 01, 2011, 11:19:56 pm »

Ok thanks Tarran if you want I will reserve you a spot in it for helping me.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 01, 2011, 11:22:48 pm »

Ehh, not my type of setting. Not that it's bad, I just prefer either Medieval Fantasy or Futuristic settings. But I'll help anyway because I have the free time and, well, want to have something to spend it on.

Also, I everyone's appreciation of me is also very tasty nice. That's also another reason.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 02, 2011, 01:13:27 am »

As a matter of fact, due to the large amount of time I find myself with, I might do a RTD set in a fantasy setting. Depends if I can make easy rules that are still fair and good.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 02, 2011, 01:26:09 am »

If you need a little help, here's some examples of sets of rules from other RTDs that may be used: Serious has rules that so far hasn't failed him, not too complicated. My RTD had okay rules, but I'm now fixing them with a new version, fixing many mistakes, though it's somewhat complicated. If you could get Draignean to give you his D22 or Imperfect rules (they're pretty similar), I guess they could be used; I don't think he's had them fail him yet, though they may be a little or very complicated. And... that's about all I can think of, really, that have really expanded and explanatory rulesets. Of course, these are only the RTDs I play. I'm sure there are plenty around with good rulesets in RTDs I don't play.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 02, 2011, 01:52:21 am »

Draignean is overhauling his ruleset at the moment, but in its current incarnation it's very good for basing a d6-style RTD around. My d10 system is good, it could be a little better I think but is easily modifiable since all you have to do is change Strength, Agility, Endurance, Intelligence, and Charisma out for whatever you need, or add more stats and edit the starting points each character gets, set caps on how high any ability can start at, raise or lower HP amounts, add skills that give special abilities, etc., so it's quite flexible. Dwarmin and Riccto are both using it as well if you want more examples.

Tarran's rules are also good, the only exception I take to them are, well... y'know... Luck rolls. Aside from that quibble there - which is only a personal opinion, of course :-\ - they cover a fairly wide base and can be adapted from fantasy to sci-fi easily enough, all you would have to do is change the relevant skills out, like Fire Magic to Computer Hacking. There's also a table for weapons in there that could easily be adapted; for example you could use his entry for Spears as the entry for, say, Sniper Rifles (low normal damage, good hit chance, high critical chance). He also has a good mutation system that I'm borrowing, which can be applied to a wide range of settings since all you have to do is change how it's acquired from Chaos Level (Westlands) to, say, G-Virus Infection Level (Resident Evil) if you wanted to include that kind of thing in your RTD. (Actually now that I think about it, Birkin DID end up as a Chaos Blob at the end of RE2... :o)

Finally, there's always the old standby of the RTD d6 system, although if you go with that I would keep the amount of bonuses a player received low to keep them from always doing too good. ^^;
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 02, 2011, 01:55:05 am »

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

There is the current system I haved worked out. Is there anyway I cna improve it to make it better, or is it fine that way?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 02, 2011, 02:04:59 am »

Tarran's rules are also good, the only exception I take to them are, well... y'know... Luck rolls.
Luck rolls? What luck rolls? You mean those luck rolls I'm squashing with my most recent update?

There is the current system I haved worked out. Is there anyway I cna improve it to make it better, or is it fine that way?
In my glancing over of it, the two rolls for defense are kinda redundant.

Anyway, I'll start helping you with factions in a little bit. Just finished my rules and I'm a little exhausted.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 02, 2011, 02:08:22 am »

Well I still have to mess with it once I fiqure out how atributes will effect the player.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 02, 2011, 02:25:25 am »

Tarran's rules are also good, the only exception I take to them are, well... y'know... Luck rolls.
Luck rolls? What luck rolls? You mean those luck rolls I'm squashing with my most recent update?

I wrote that while you were posting the new rules that didn't have them. ^^; I didn't get around to checking the Westlands thread until I'd already hit the post button. But yeah, they're a good base, like I said.

It seems to me attacking goes in three phases here: roll to hit (1d10) -> roll for defenses (1d6 vs 1d6) -> roll for damage (1d?). This is mostly fine but I would either cut out the first stage and modify the damage roll by adding any bonuses from the attacker and subtracting the defender's bonuses or cut out the second and use armor as a set roll. An example of the first choice would be 5 vs 3, so hit; Damage roll is 5+2 for the attacker's gun -1 for the defender's kevlar for a total of 4 damage dealt. An example of the second would be that this enemy's armor is equivalent to a 4 defense, so when you attack you have to roll above or below that number (depending on whether you want standard or reverse roll, I use reverse myself) and if you succeed then you just roll 6 and therefore do 6 damage.

If you wanted to change it... In both my and IronyOwl's preferred style we generally use only one phase and operate like this... IronyOwl: (Attack Roll+modifiers) - (Defense Roll+modifiers) = Damage. SeriousConcentrate: (Roll against Relevant Stat depending on type of attack used; if the number rolled is equal to or lower it's a hit). (Relevant Stat) - (Attack Roll) + (Weapon Bonuses) = Damage. I also add a d6 after Damage to determine what part of the body it hits but that's a style choice; I mean if you really wanted you could label 20 different parts of the body and roll a d20, or just have the hit land where ever you as the GM want/player specified, etc.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 02:26:58 am by SeriousConcentrate »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 02, 2011, 02:45:03 am »

Sorry about asking you guys to look over so much, but I refined some more, and added a bit that I wanted you to check over.

Spoiler: stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Leveling (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 661