Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702434 times)

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #825 on: June 21, 2011, 01:12:39 pm »

Lacking ideas for the RTD I suggested earlier. Need different setting.
 Ideas:

1. Grimdark magitech. For long, magic was a dark force that belonged to the demons. However, the greedy humans managed to steal it. Not much was known about the dark forces of magic. When it was unleashed upon the prime plane, it spread across the world, twisting living beings into deformed abominations. Mana - a liquid with magical properties, became the reason for many bloody wars and conflicts. The pure humans and magicians became an oppressive higher class, abusing and enslaving mutants.

2. Post apocalyptic setting in a somewhat new light. Wars between countries lead to the invention of a perfect weapon - a bomb that is capable of destroying organic life forms without harming mineral or synthetic matter. Many of those were manufactured, but due to an information leak, some groups were prepared. Most of humanity was wiped out, but some people survived. Even though they have the resources to rebuild civilization, the political crisis gave birth to many hostile factions. Will the remaining survivors rebuild humanity or bring the complete end of mankind through infighting?

3. Your idea. I will not take any overused ideas (high fantasy, WWII, zombies) except if they have an interesting twist and I will not make an RTD based on a game, movie, whatever I haven't tried (if you want one, just spam ideas, I'll probably know at least one of them).
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: June 21, 2011, 01:22:33 pm »

2. Post apocalyptic setting in a somewhat new light. Wars between countries lead to the invention of a perfect weapon - a bomb that is capable of destroying organic life forms without harming mineral or synthetic matter. Many of those were manufactured, but due to an information leak, some groups were prepared. Most of humanity was wiped out, but some people survived. Even though they have the resources to rebuild civilization, the political crisis gave birth to many hostile factions. Will the remaining survivors rebuild humanity or bring the complete end of mankind through infighting?

We already have that.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: June 21, 2011, 01:23:43 pm »

We already have that.

Except this one isn't radioactive.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: June 21, 2011, 01:26:45 pm »

We already have that.

We already have that.

Biological Warhead?

That could be pretty fun actually...
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: June 21, 2011, 07:25:19 pm »

Okay, I've a couple of Ideas for some RtDs

1: Overlord RtD: Sign up as a minion, Pillage, loot, burn, murder and drink your way following the master/Overlord

2: Modern near-future sci-fi: Taking the storyline from days of tension and putting it into an RtD. This would cover the entire WW3, from the initial assault on the US to the final battles in China. Players would be the conquerers and difficulty is measured by how much experience that the rest of the world has in combating the wave of Australian dominion. Or they could sign up in most other nations military and try and hold them off (Or get assimilated)

3: Fantasy WW2 RtD: German orcs, Soviet dwarves, Italian halflings, Commonwealth elves, Japanese Tengus ans Human americans.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: June 21, 2011, 07:28:52 pm »

1: Overlord RtD: Sign up as a minion, Pillage, loot, burn, murder and drink your way following the master/Overlord
Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.
I so call being a Green.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: June 21, 2011, 08:18:38 pm »

Sorry, I forgot idea No.4

4: Z RtD: ROBOT WAR. Tanks, lasers, crocodiles that eat robots.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: June 21, 2011, 08:47:59 pm »

Well I thought I would let you guys know that I have decided to start a making quite a few RTDs here they are. (Just rulesets not games for them that is)

Current Projects
Infamous RTD
Halo RTD
Warhammer Fantasy RTD
Gears of War RTD
Dead Space RTD

Completed
ARM RTD (Mech Warrior)
Assassin's Creed RTD
Oblivion RTD
Roll to be a Merc
Disgaea RTD
FMA RTD

Yet to be Started
Operation Darkness RTD
Final Fantasy RTD
Lord of the Rings RTD
Advance Wars RTD

Well thats all so far I still add some every now,a dn then, but I haven't had nay ideas lately besides those.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: June 21, 2011, 10:52:52 pm »

Yes.Yes.Yes.Yes.

@adwarf: Damn it man, pace yourself. You shouldn't just make a new RTD every time you see or remember something awesome.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: June 21, 2011, 10:54:08 pm »

He's just making rulesets for fun, I think.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: June 21, 2011, 10:58:38 pm »

I hope so, but he's got at least four currently running. :-\
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: June 21, 2011, 11:34:23 pm »

Off-topic, but Irony, are you gonna start your RTD soon? Or are you taking a prolonged break?

Anyway, speaking of making rulesets, I have a lot of partially-finished RTDs I made before The Westlands that are just rotting at the deep ends of my "Stuff" folder. If anyone wants some rulesets/stories and wants to see what I've got, or wants to rip pieces off of them, just say so and I'll post the rulesets. And afterwards, if you really keep at it, you may also be able to convince me to start the RTD if you're not in the mood to start it yourself.

List of RTDs rotting:
Simple future-end-of-the-world-from-alien-bastards-run-away type RTD. Pretty much in working condition, though there's no information on combat (though it was likely made on very simple 1d6+-modifiers combat).

Complex Medieval RTD. Somewhat similar to The Westlands, though I didn't use it instead. Pretty much ready to go. May be useful for ideas.

Simple Medieval single-dungeon-crawling RTD ("Dungeon Crawling Fun"). Pretty much in working condition, though there's no information on combat (though it was likely made on very simple 1d6+-modifiers combat).

Some future-colony-type RTD. Just story and a tiny bit of the state of the colony. Has ASCIIDraw image of colony.

Simple Medieval RTD. Very little made for it.

Some RTD based in the USDF Spaceship RTD. Slightly modified history from USDF, human groups made, not ready to run because it has literally no rules. May be useful for ideas.

And finally a complex futuristic special-forces RTD with possibly deadly wounds along with a minor block-o-text for combat and stuffs. Pretty much ready to go as far as I can tell, though it's missing an actual story so far.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: June 22, 2011, 01:29:40 am »

2: Modern near-future sci-fi: Taking the storyline from days of tension and putting it into an RtD. This would cover the entire WW3, from the initial assault on the US to the final battles in China. Players would be the conquerers and difficulty is measured by how much experience that the rest of the world has in combating the wave of Australian dominion. Or they could sign up in most other nations military and try and hold them off (Or get assimilated)

3: Fantasy WW2 RtD: German orcs, Soviet dwarves, Italian halflings, Commonwealth elves, Japanese Tengus ans Human americans.

I like all of these. *Thumbs up*
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: June 22, 2011, 02:29:07 am »

Off-topic, but Irony, are you gonna start your RTD soon? Or are you taking a prolonged break?
Prolonged break. It's not intentional, so much as I can't quite figure out how to make SM2 work how I want it to, and don't want to rush it. It's theoretically under construction, but there's no telling how long it'll be until I figure out how everything should work.

I guess I might as well describe what's wrong, and that'll either generate useful feedback or just assure you that it's not stuck on "but that would require effort" or something depressing.

So, there's that. :-\

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: June 22, 2011, 02:42:06 am »

Hmm. You could try Sean Mirrsen's progressive RTD system and do something like this:

Say I'm creating the vamp necro and Tarran's making the summon necro. We are both allowed two skills related to necromancy, and I choose Health Drain and Mana Drain. Tarran picks Summon Ghost and Summon Skeleton. Since it's been established that all four of these are necromancy skills, I get the two I picked at [6] and the two I didn't at [3]. So I can still do those things, but not nearly as well as Tarran, and he can do the things I picked in a similar manner.  It would take some work to keep up with though, because if say Talarion joined and picked Raise Dead and Summon Mummy as his skills, Tarran and I would get both those skills at [3] as soon as he made them - they're necromancy, after all - while he would get all four of our picks at [3] as well.

You could also make requirements like 'if you start as a fire mage and want to learn water magic, then when you successfully learn water magic you only get one skill at [3] instead of all the established skills and have to study the others since they're not your main area, while you'll still get the fire skills since that IS your area of expertise.' I dunno, I'm just rambling. It's a thought but I'm not sure if it's good for what you want. ^^;
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 661