Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702403 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1440 on: August 17, 2011, 11:05:05 am »

Alright, got the thing filled. I'm open to suggestions and ideas though.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: August 17, 2011, 12:01:18 pm »

@Talarion: Firstly, I know there's seven. First, Saber is too OPed, and I forgot the second one. Plus, 7 players would be far too many for me to ever handle. Secondly, It's just following the IDEA of it. This story will take place in an obviously medieval era. I wanted it simple. so I made sure every "Class" had a backup ranged weapon. I changed some of the equipment around, to make it simpler. Third, I don't WANT Magi. This is my own universe, my own little creation...It's different, sure, but it follows some of the context of F/SN...

Oh god, so tired. I'm stuck at a freaking horrid part in Oblivion, and it's pissing me off...

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: August 17, 2011, 12:30:55 pm »

Oh god, so tired. I'm stuck at a freaking horrid part in Oblivion, and it's pissing me off...

Dreamworld or protect-a-prince?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: August 17, 2011, 12:58:58 pm »

Tarran is it too early to be asking for a slot?
Raggle Fraggle

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: August 17, 2011, 01:22:26 pm »

For... what, exactly?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: August 17, 2011, 01:35:06 pm »

Herp. Ment to type Taric. Man am I on a derpin spree or what?
Raggle Fraggle

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: August 17, 2011, 01:56:58 pm »

Dreamworld or protect-a-prince?

Dreamworlds had the painted rolls, right? Naw, neither. I'm doing the "Rebuild the gatekeeper" quest, and I'm stuck on the "Breath of Life"...The little green arrow is in the middle of an empty room. It moves around the room, but that's it, and I also can't leave. Driving me up the wall >__>...

But, I did manage to find some crazy gear. I'm an anti-mage thief character; - Atronach sign, plus an amulet with 17% absorb magic, and 56% reflect magic, plus 15% magic defense. On top of that, I have 40% chameleon. All of it was looted, I don't have any way to enchant items yet.

blaaaah this game is addictive.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: August 17, 2011, 02:04:27 pm »

I was watching the Fate/Stay Night OVA's, when a thought flashed past my mind. Quick as I could, I opened my notepad and began furiously typing. This is the result...(It's still very incomplete although!)
I see numerous problems.

First of all, I'm not sure the whole master+summon thing is properly thought out. How powerful are they compared to each other? What's to prevent the squishier one from being focused down by both members of the opposing team? Also, doubling the number of rolls you need to do might add up quicker than you'd think.

Servant Archer
Health: For those with Strength as their main attirubte, a 1d40 is rolled, minimum is 10. For those with Strength as their weakness, a 1d15 is rolled, minimum 5. If neutral, a 1d20 is rolled, minimum 8.
This irks me because it's roundabout. Why not just roll 1d31+9 or something? Also, I hope you realize how utterly random these results will be- the minimum and maximum values are equally likely, so seeing one Str Servant with 10 HP and another with 40 right out the gate wouldn't be surprising. More on this later.

There's also a pretty massive difference between an attribute being their strength and not their strength, but not so much between being normal and a weakness. I'm not sure I disapprove of that, to be honest.

Mana: For those with Intelligence as their main attribute, a 1d30 is rolled, minimum is 15. As their weakness, a 1d10 is rolled, minimum 3. As neutral, a 1d15 is rolled, minimum 6. NOTE: Mana will be regenerated by 1 point for every 20 points max every turn. So if your serant has 25 Mana, then they'll regenerate one Mana per turn. The minimum is one, so even if you have only 15 Mana max, you'll still regenerate One every turn.
The main attribute method fills me with rage. "If Int is your main attribute, I roll a die. Half of the time, this result will be below the minimum and I'll have to reroll." Just add it as a bonus or something- unless you've explicitly got a physical d30 that you've been dying to use, there's zero reason for these shenanigans.

Then there's mana. I don't like how mana's shaping up, for two reasons. One, the regen rate seems too low- it's probably better than nothing, but you're still looking at your classic "casters burn through all their mana and then hit things with a stick if they're still alive" scenario. Unless mana has a particular purpose I'm not grasping, or fights are considerably longer than I'd assume they'll be, you're probably going to want mana to be less of a battery and more of a generator.

Secondly, you need 40 mana to have anything other than 1 regen per turn. That's probably not intentional, given that it's extremely difficult to achieve at character creation.

Strength: If main attribute, a 1d8 is rolled. If weakness, a 1d4 is. If neutral, a 1d6 is rolled. A 1d6 is rolled. Every 5 points will increase Health by 10 and Damage rolls by 1.
Agility: If main attribute, a 1d8 is rolled. If weakness, a 1d4 is. If neutral, a 1d6 is rolled. Every 5 points increases Dodge rolls and chance to hit by 1.
Intelligence: If main attribute, a 1d8 is rolled. If weakness, a 1d4 is. If neutral, a 1d6 is rolled. Every 5 points increases Mana by 10 and Regen rate by 1.
I like the more standardized setup for attributes. It's still pretty swingy though- a main-attribute character with a lower score than a weakness-attribute character obviously isn't likely, but it could happen. Moreso for a main-att below a normal-att, though.

What I don't like is that 5 Str gives you something, and then 6, 7, 8, and 9 Str are no different except that they're getting you closer to 10 Str, which also gives you something. Depending on what you're going for and how the rest of the system works, this could be a necessary sacrifice, or it could be a poorly thought out and swingy system.

I guess the main question is: How do attributes change during play? If they're fairly fluid one way or another, that could potentially make up for the rampant swinginess elsewhere. If the answer is "they don't" or "by leveling up, which happens every now and then," I'm going to have to point out that a lot of characters would be completely useless or deliciously overpowered from the very beginning and in very permanent fashion.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: August 17, 2011, 02:36:33 pm »

@Talarion: Firstly, I know there's seven. First, Saber is too OPed, and I forgot the second one. Plus, 7 players would be far too many for me to ever handle. Secondly, It's just following the IDEA of it. This story will take place in an obviously medieval era. I wanted it simple. so I made sure every "Class" had a backup ranged weapon. I changed some of the equipment around, to make it simpler. Third, I don't WANT Magi. This is my own universe, my own little creation...It's different, sure, but it follows some of the context of F/SN...

Saber isn't overpowered only Arthuria was as she was extemely powerful due to Excalibur (ANd what were her, adn the mains characters power Aegis something?)

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: August 17, 2011, 03:15:26 pm »

I see numerous problems.
Oh dear. But, this is what I was looking for! :D

First of all, I'm not sure the whole master+summon thing is properly thought out. How powerful are they compared to each other? What's to prevent the squishier one from being focused down by both members of the opposing team? Also, doubling the number of rolls you need to do might add up quicker than you'd think.
Well, the main goal is, it's not supposed to be all that fair. Someone's going to be stronger in one way. If two heavy melee warriors want to massacre a squishy wizard, then go ahead! It's their choice. Heck, maybe the Wizard will murder them. There's no set teams, it's a FFA really.

This irks me because it's roundabout. Why not just roll 1d31+9 or something? Also, I hope you realize how utterly random these results will be- the minimum and maximum values are equally likely, so seeing one Str Servant with 10 HP and another with 40 right out the gate wouldn't be surprising. More on this later.
Ah. Yes, the 1d31+9 makes a lot of sense. I've never done this before, and what I typed out was 20 minutes of rushed thinking lol. Yeah, it's supposed to be random. I LOVE RANDOMNESS.

There's also a pretty massive difference between an attribute being their strength and not their strength, but not so much between being normal and a weakness. I'm not sure I disapprove of that, to be honest.
Your intelligences confuzzle me. Uhhh..cool. Lol.

The main attribute method fills me with rage. "If Int is your main attribute, I roll a die. Half of the time, this result will be below the minimum and I'll have to reroll." Just add it as a bonus or something- unless you've explicitly got a physical d30 that you've been dying to use, there's zero reason for these shenanigans.
Heheheheh. ON WITH THE SHENANIGANS...Or, not. I'll take this into advise although, thank you! I'm glad you pointed it, and other things, out :P.

Then there's mana. I don't like how mana's shaping up, for two reasons. One, the regen rate seems too low- it's probably better than nothing, but you're still looking at your classic "casters burn through all their mana and then hit things with a stick if they're still alive" scenario. Unless mana has a particular purpose I'm not grasping, or fights are considerably longer than I'd assume they'll be, you're probably going to want mana to be less of a battery and more of a generator.
My goal was that Magic attacks are extremely powerful, extremely expensive and extremely RANDOM. The fights will be quite short, kill or be killed. Generally, I'd see a single turn lasting ten rounds, at most. Far less if there's planned-ahead teams. And yes, I'll fix that...More regen and a bit less cap is a good idea.

Secondly, you need 40 mana to have anything other than 1 regen per turn. That's probably not intentional, given that it's extremely difficult to achieve at character creation.
Wait, what? Oh, yeah. More charge, less juice. I'm an idiot *sigh*.

I like the more standardized setup for attributes. It's still pretty swingy though- a main-attribute character with a lower score than a weakness-attribute character obviously isn't likely, but it could happen. Moreso for a main-att below a normal-att, though.
I need simple. I am a slow thinker. Simple good. Good is simple. Or, something along them lines. I copied the AGI/STR/INT from Warcraft 3 (The strategy game, not the craptastic MMO). Plus, RANDOM is good.

What I don't like is that 5 Str gives you something, and then 6, 7, 8, and 9 Str are no different except that they're getting you closer to 10 Str, which also gives you something. Depending on what you're going for and how the rest of the system works, this could be a necessary sacrifice, or it could be a poorly thought out and swingy system.
Well, I didn't write it up, but I had a little plan. If you roll a 6 using an attribute-based attack, then you'll get +1 to that attribute. E.G: If Beserker swings his maul and gets a natural 6, he'll gain +1 strength. Also, every time a player kills another player, the killer gets a 1d4 rolled, and they gain the number rolled into a random stat. Games are supposed to be short, with the survivor becoming the ultimate KING of RANDOMNESS.

I guess the main question is: How do attributes change during play? If they're fairly fluid one way or another, that could potentially make up for the rampant swinginess elsewhere. If the answer is "they don't" or "by leveling up, which happens every now and then," I'm going to have to point out that a lot of characters would be completely useless or deliciously overpowered from the very beginning and in very permanent fashion.
Well, since I explained it in the above part, meh.

Thanks for the post, persons-who-name-eludes-me! Oh, IronyOwl. Ah. How...Ironic. Seriously though, this was exactly what I was looking for. I'll be tinkering on this for a while, so thank you. If you see any other flaws, screw ups or horrid imbalances, please tell me lol. Oh, and one question...Do you think the Items system is good?

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: August 17, 2011, 03:17:27 pm »

Saber isn't overpowered only Arthuria was as she was extemely powerful due to Excalibur (ANd what were her, adn the mains characters power Aegis something?)

What? Oh, shizzles, yeah. I forgot that Saber could be anybody besides the beautiful Arthur-lady. Plus, the main character's ability was pretty lame. Sure, he can turn a rolled up poster into a steel bat (In a sense), but that doesn't help much against LEGENDARY HEROES.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: August 17, 2011, 03:37:53 pm »

Spoiler: Archer (click to show/hide)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: August 17, 2011, 05:40:39 pm »

Alright, I've got some of the equipment upgrades hammered out, now to do the equipment itself.

And the thread is up!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:41:12 pm by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: August 18, 2011, 12:38:43 am »

I still think a classic F/SN RTD would be epic. I would do it myself, but I only just recently got Zaphain back from the de... Back on it's feet. >.> <.<
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: August 18, 2011, 12:39:54 am »

RTD Role to dune would be epic
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 661