Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702195 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1500 on: August 22, 2011, 11:03:00 am »

I am interested in GMing a RTD as I am enjoying this forum greatly. I haven't GMed anything for some years, so the rules would most likely be quite simple. I do however have a story thought through, a light hearted story whilst a darker and more complex one simmers at the back of my mind.

I thought I'd post my idea here as it seems a good place to gauge interest and reactions and so on.

Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy

The year is 1906.

The year of the Dreadnought and of the first Viking submarine!
The year of the first aeroplane flight in Europe!
The year of LZ3, the first Zeppelin to be sold to the German military!

The year when the British Empire realised that a new branch of the Admiralty is needed to combat the growing Prussian threat in the East: MIG – Military Intelligence Gentlemen. A force of the Empire’s finest, to cope with matters beyond the purview of regular police and intelligence services.

Rules: Simple and based on a traditional d6 RTD roll. No stats.

Name: This is obviously your name.
Nationality: You are either English, at a pinch Scottish, or a Heathen whoops I mean from another country and hoping for the honour of serving His Majesty the King.
Relation: You must surely be well connected to have been invited for this honour. Not obligatory though.
Skill: A skill that you have learnt – offering you +1 in attempting this kind of thing (say, Revolver, Horse riding, Speaking at Commoners, etc.). Can also later be learnt.
Trait: A natural trait – offering you +1 in certain things (for example, Having a Stiff Upper Lip, Naturally Good at Talking to Ladies, Do You Know Who My Father Is? and so on). Can also later be acquired.
Item: Your signature inventory item. Probably a cigarette holder.

As a Gentleman you have a Reputation to uphold and which is affected by your actions. If they are found out about...
Gentlemanliness: This is a measure of how much of a gentleman you are. The higher it is, the more likely you are to get into exclusive clubs. It starts at 5.
Cadishness: If you have a reputation of being quite a cad and ungentlemanly you won’t be getting into any clubs! You don’t see the Prussians relaxing at the Turf Club do you! I say old chap. It starts at 0. If it was much higher you wouldn't be playing cards here, your father would probably have arranged for you to do service in India.

Bio: Entirely optional, although I'm considering its adding a skill or trait if it seems good.

Story:
Foreword. 10pm, Thursday 17th, January, 1906. The Turf Club, Piccadilly, London.

You are enjoying the game of cards you and these fellow gentlemen have been invited to when one of the butlers approaches and offers you a telegram...

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: August 22, 2011, 11:20:51 am »

I love the concept and ideas you've got there. I foresee great popularity.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: August 22, 2011, 11:49:29 am »

Hummmdurmmmm...

What about a Roll To Decide for a plot?

Basically, half a dozen people would make suggestions for an adventure, and then the RNG decides what gets taken. This includes the setting, the characters, and the plot twists.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: August 22, 2011, 12:00:07 pm »

I would totally be into that.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: August 22, 2011, 12:06:47 pm »

I love the concept and ideas you've got there. I foresee great popularity.

Thanks. I may continue then.

edit: also, sorry for double post.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:11:34 pm by lawastooshort »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: August 22, 2011, 12:41:11 pm »

Hmmm, so here's what I got for Magicka.

How to play

Up to four wizards are going to set out to save the world.
On their way, they will have to overcome several hazards and enemies.

As you can see, ASCIIDraw is useful for making maps for that. As a general rule, you can walk over beige (mud and sand), light green (grass), grey (stone), and white (snow).
The players don't have to be on the same map all the time. They can for instance split up and explore faster that way. It is of course advised to be careful, since more maps means more enemies.
If a character dies, somebody else can resurrect them with the Revive spell. It is a low-difficulty spell that can be reliably cast even in the early levels.
The player whose character has died will be moved to the bottom of the waitlist, and the first person thereof will gain control over the wizard instead.
If the body's gone the group has to find a savepoint to get their colleague back.
TPK's set the entire group back to the last savepoint, and should give the GM and the players a good idea whether they have done something wrong.

How to fight

There are three kinds of weapons: light but fast ones, slow but hard hitting ones, and those in between.
Obviously light weapons can be used more often than heavy ones, but I have no idea how to balance speed and damage without making one kind obviously superior to the other or even spellcasting. Case in point.
Weapons can also have secondary effects, such as "deals extra fire damage" or "shoots lasers when at full health".

How to cast spells

The main focus of the game.

There are 8 "elements": Water(Q), Life(W), Shield(E), Cold(R), Lightning(A), Arcane(S), Earth(D), and Fire(F).
There's also the combined elements Ice (R+Q) and Steam(F+Q).
They can interact in several complex ways, which I won't bother to explain. So have a few links instead. (or maybe not. The wiki appears to have been eaten by the evil monstrosity that is wikia).

The wizard has to charge up their spells first, which a) can take a while and b) slows then down if they don't cast away immediately.
Depending on the complexity of the spell, they then have to succeed a roll to cast the spell without negative side effects (such as casting the wrong element, at the wrong person or plain failing). Complex spells (such as the Super Wet Lightning Beam) are a lot more difficult to cast than say, spamming single life elements..
Every level they complete, the wizards get a bonus to casting. So at the beginning they might have trouble throwing around fireballs, at the end they can summon Lightning Bolts with ease.

This is about the gist of the game.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: August 22, 2011, 12:50:05 pm »

Magicka would be excellent and perhaps a bit complicated. I'd be very interested. That's a good way of doing the inevitably often deaths.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:52:10 pm by lawastooshort »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: August 22, 2011, 12:54:32 pm »

Precalling a spot.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: August 22, 2011, 02:03:04 pm »

The gentlemen spy idea sounds awesome.

For Magicka, spending turns charging spells is going to be Not Fun rather quickly.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: August 22, 2011, 02:47:17 pm »

For Magicka, spending turns charging spells is going to be Not Fun rather quickly.
Well that's why I posted the stuff here.

That and I don't think I'm going to do it myself. Wouldn't know what to choose as a plot.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: August 22, 2011, 03:22:56 pm »

The gentlemen spy idea sounds awesome.

Awesome, thanks. I'm going to work on it and see if I'm more inspired than tired. I think I could only handle 5 people at a time to start though.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: August 22, 2011, 08:53:32 pm »

Well that's why I posted the stuff here.

That and I don't think I'm going to do it myself. Wouldn't know what to choose as a plot.

Change the system, then. Make all spells cast immediately, but have recharge times. While their spells are recharging, players can go melee or something.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: August 23, 2011, 12:49:08 am »

Hey, I've been thinking of starting an RTD, working out ideas and such, and was wondering if anyone would be interested?
It's going to be a Western-themed RTD, where the players are a bunch of farmhands trying to drive their herd of cattle to a far-off place where they can get decent prices for the meat. Along the way, naturally, there'll be all sorts of difficulties and dangers, and no-doubt friction between the group.
For starters, I need someone to play the ranch owner, the boss, basically. I'd like it if the person playing the rancher was a dedicated roleplayer, as you'll need to sorta... Keep all the others together, and boss them around.

As this will be my first forum game of any description, I'm going to keep numbers low at first.
So, one person can join as the rancher, two people can be hired guns paid to protect the herd along the way from rustlers, and four can be farmhands helping drive the herd.
Since this is going to be fictional, and since I want to give people some free reign with who they play, we're going to say that you can play a female character as well, despite how rare that would be historically.
Sorry, if that didn't make much sense, is anyone interested? Still working out all the finer points, and I'll probably brush up on history a little first, too. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: August 23, 2011, 01:22:22 am »

Huh. That seems (pre-) interesting.
I call hired gun!  :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: August 23, 2011, 01:24:01 am »

Interested, depending on how complex it is.

Interested in a gun. I call it, back off future posters, or you'll end up with lead in your head.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 661