Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702175 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2670 on: December 02, 2011, 11:32:06 pm »

Well, here's a question. Would this need any kind of actual system, or could it run on just standard RTD rules plus arbitrary traits applied now and then? I've been trying to think of something, but I'm not sure how advanced it really needs to be.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: December 02, 2011, 11:36:20 pm »

Depends on what kind of mutations you have in mind. Do you plan on counting legs or arms individually or together, whether the front and back of the torso are specified or just part of the torso, or if the face and top of the head or different or just considered the head, etc.?
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: December 02, 2011, 11:55:55 pm »

Well, if I don't have any real system for it, the answer to all of those is "depends on the mutation." If I do, then I might need a system of body slots or similar.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: December 03, 2011, 12:05:04 am »

Well, what about bonuses/penalties for the mutations you have in mind? If they're relatively minor then the standard system should be fine.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: December 03, 2011, 12:34:18 am »

Yeah, if I were you I'd maybe hash out a body slot system, but if you plan the mutations to be more in line of opening up abilities instead of being stat buffs, then you don't need much in the way of extra rules.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: December 03, 2011, 01:21:49 am »

I'd intended the bonuses to be just about anything or everything. +1 to jumping rolls, ability to create zombie servants, less serious crafting roll failures... I don't have any real delusion that it'd be especially balanced, but I don't think most of the people playing the game would be terribly concerned with that.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: December 03, 2011, 02:15:04 am »

Hmm, well. If balance isn't a concern, I can't really think of anything to add. Standard should do, then.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: December 03, 2011, 02:18:07 am »

I don't have any real delusion that it'd be especially balanced, but I don't think most of the people playing the game would be terribly concerned with that.
Balance is for pansies. Real men are those that are currently decorating the floor below with their brain matter.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: December 03, 2011, 02:21:59 am »

While I prefer the Dark Lord one, I guess the demon RTD is also pretty great. As for balance, the best I can think of is giving most mutations a disadvantage. Huge horns made out of slade? You become extremely slow and noticeable. Fire breathing? You have a chance of exploding. Course, you don't seem to want balance all that much.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: December 03, 2011, 02:34:56 am »

It's not that I don't want balance, it's just that I think most players would greatly prefer the game be as fluid and interesting as possible, balance be damned.

Like, take body type as an example. Are players going to want prebuilt body types (Feral, Humanoid, Winged Humanoid, etc) with innate abilities or qualities (increased movement speed, dexterity bonuses, Flight special ability), or are they just going to want to declare themselves a tentacled potato and then roll with it? I suspect the latter.

Of course, that's just my assumption. Feel free to speak up either way.

EDIT: Also, if it's any consolation, in theory you could rise up and become a dark lord as a demon. It'd require a lot of good rolls, and probably a character somewhat focused that direction, but taking part in demonic invasions are clearly a possibility.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 02:38:10 am by IronyOwl »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: December 03, 2011, 02:37:25 am »

Oh I don't mind the latter at all. It will be interesting to play as a sentient bed made of cabbages, what I want is that there should be consequences for each form we take and each mutation, unless there can be no negative thing attributed to it.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: December 03, 2011, 02:43:11 am »

Well, I'm not sure if negative modifiers are necessary in most cases. In the case of being a mutated vegetable, yeah, that might be severe enough to apply some penalties, but in the case of, say, claws sharp enough to give you extra damage? It's not hard to think of a penalty, but I'm not sure it's necessary either.

Of course, if I'm going with large interval mutations, you'd likely get a negative trait or two as part of the package, but it'd still probably be a lot less than your overall buffs.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: December 03, 2011, 03:00:46 am »

Good enough to me.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: December 03, 2011, 12:13:12 pm »

Random mutations. No player choices. Final Destination.

Do it! :D However you handle mutations, it sounds like fun. Perhaps as you devour a soul (or multiple souls at a time) you gain a (at least mostly) random mutation, varying in magnitude depending on the size and power of said soul?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: December 03, 2011, 01:26:03 pm »

Random mutations. No player choices. Final Destination.

Do it! :D
No, don't do it. I like choices in my life. Lack of choices means annoyance to me. Annoyance makes me enjoy the game less. And I'm sure at least one other person out there feels the same.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 661