Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702171 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2805 on: December 14, 2011, 12:11:48 pm »

Plotting and intrigue is always fun, but why the need for fantasy elements? On second thought, getting to play the noble-side of dwarven society for a change could be very interesting, especially if you make your own dwarven society and not just use the vague DF one. Count me in!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:15:52 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: December 14, 2011, 12:55:12 pm »

Here's my tentative Dwarven Court Rankings. Though I'm still leaning to make it dungeon-crawly. Gah.

[The first steps...usually, money, fame or your families name will get you in the door. But, Dwarven society is highly static, as solid as the stone they carve their fortresses into. Achievement can only get you so far...]
Master of the Profession
Gold Courtier
Silver Courtier
Copper Courtier

[The Elite Dwarven Deep-Knights are the Heroes of the Kingdom-it's generals, champions and questers. They enjoy lives of unbridled danger and amazing Luxury. Few live long very long, though-either slain by circumstance, or Court nobles jealous of the rising star-or, they do too well, and find themselves assigned to the royal guard.]
Deep-Knight Captain
Deep-Knight Ranger
Deep-Knight Intiate

[The elite guards of the Nobles, in court and war-they do most of the dying. Given that they are the most susceptible to overthrowing their rulers, they are closely watched and have little opportunity for advancement. They can fall very far, though. All the way to the Hammerers Den.]
Grand Rook
Kings/Queens Guard
Fortress Sentry

[The three masters collectively run Dwarven society-Feeding, Labor and War, all in one. They tend to maintain as much distance from the court as they can.]
Master of Feasting
Master of Mining
Master of War

[Above the commoner guards and soldiers, The Elite Shadow Beards do the Nobles dirty work-spying, assassination, blackmail...many of them are not above seeking their own power in court, and using their connection to facilitate it.]
Shadow Beard Grand Puppeteer
Shadow Beard Elite
Shadow Beard Agent

[Overseers of Dwarf Fortresses are only elected Mayors in name...the true rulers, and the inheritors of the Wealth and earned, are the Rods, Staves and Scepters-they manage the flow of cash and goods from the lowliest miners paycheck to the fattest bursars gilded vault, and are in charge of Dwarven expeditions.]
Scepters
Staves
Rods

[The High Nobilty are the figureheads of the Dwarven Nation. Getting here makes you a target-for everyone.]
Queen/King
Queen/King Consort
High Vizier
Grand Champion
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: December 14, 2011, 01:59:50 pm »

Honestly, both ideas sound fantastic. I like the nobles idea, but a dungeon crawl might be a little more fun for both parties. Who knows?

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: December 14, 2011, 04:58:57 pm »

I'll be away from a computer for 5 days starting friday, so I wont start anything yet. Also, Digital, what happened to Roll to Body jump?
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: December 14, 2011, 05:32:09 pm »

Hm... I'd probably join either of those, but neither is especially intriguing to me. Maybe I'm typecasting you as "The GM of OotK" too much, but neither of them seem... like the kind of games you'd run, somehow. Maybe I just need more detail.

As for suggestions, how about heroic nobles dealing with a rather on-edge, high-competition political system? Maybe they're serving evil, meaning the competition is waiting like hungry jackals for them to slip up and the boss doesn't have much patience for failure. Or maybe the kingdom is facing an invasion or is more of a band of desperate refugees, so they just can't afford to sit around waiting for the fifth-best man to sort of get the job done, plus everyone else is also desperate and has their own subgoals (like keeping their own people fed, not yours) to pursue.

What they do and how well they do could have ramifications both physically and politically; for instance, losing a member doesn't just mean you've lost a friend and comrade-at-arms, it means you have to deal with the political fallout of losing a good warrior or being allied with a people who no longer have a champion or the vying of everyone else to fill the slot. Similarly, what tasks they undertake could be a mixture of "What will help the kingdom/me" and "What will get that goddamned princess to finally shut up?" To say nothing of how pivotal your interactions with said potential champions, leaderless peoples, or whiny princesses could be in their own right.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: December 14, 2011, 08:02:34 pm »

You hit the nail on the head, IO.

I want to write something, but I can't figure out what.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: December 14, 2011, 08:05:12 pm »

Just noticed that tomato sigged me.

Feels good man.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: December 14, 2011, 08:12:35 pm »

Which happened in my thread.

I'm joining the Feels Good club too, Derm, if you don't mind.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: December 14, 2011, 08:14:50 pm »

We can start up a clubhouse! You want the left terrace or the right?
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: December 14, 2011, 08:17:01 pm »

Derm, I will sig you just to inflate your ego.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: December 14, 2011, 08:18:39 pm »

We can start up a clubhouse! You want the left terrace or the right?
Does it matter? I'm the Earth, man, I'm my own terrace.

Derm, I will sig you just to inflate your ego.
Derm you lucky bastard.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: December 14, 2011, 08:20:00 pm »

Tarran gets all the tarraces. :P

Also, I wish I could help with figuring out what you want to write about, but I haven't really figured out how to do that myself. Indulging in a lot of potential inspiration (movies, games, wiki pages for series you've never heard of) is the only thing I can really recommend, and I'm not even positive that works. :-\

Having random people shovel ideas at you might serve a similar function, also.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: December 14, 2011, 08:20:14 pm »

YESSSSSSSS SIG ME, MY FOLLOWERS, FOR ALL SHALL KNOW THE GLORY THAT IS DERM is that a newspa- Ow! Ow! Stop hitting me! STOP HITTING ME DAMMIT.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: December 14, 2011, 08:23:19 pm »

If you need help figuring what to write about for an RTD - and I mean ever - you could do what I did as a failsafe for both my RTDs: Start with something you're extremely familiar with and enjoy very much. If you want, you can build on it from there infinitely, like a webcomic that lasts forever.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: December 14, 2011, 08:25:19 pm »

Has there been a Zelda RTD yet? You could try that. Everyone loves Zelda.

Or maybe a Single player RTD! Where theres the main guy, and everyone gives him actions which he rolls for. That was fun.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:27:20 pm by dermonster »
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 661