Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702190 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3570 on: March 12, 2012, 10:40:00 pm »

Blegh. I've completely run out of motivation for my project. I was making good progress on the mechanics and setting too.

Now I'm kind of tempted to make some sort of Fable-ish RTD, but that'd probably be a grand enough endeavor that I wouldn't get very far. Maybe that interest will segue right back into a mage RTD though, as it's done before.

Creative cycles are weird.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: March 12, 2012, 10:45:05 pm »

You're telling me. Now to go back to photoshopping little hats onto Pokemon.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: March 12, 2012, 10:59:02 pm »

Blegh. I've completely run out of motivation for my project. I was making good progress on the mechanics and setting too.

Now I'm kind of tempted to make some sort of Fable-ish RTD, but that'd probably be a grand enough endeavor that I wouldn't get very far. Maybe that interest will segue right back into a mage RTD though, as it's done before.

Creative cycles are weird.
No kidding.

These days I'm basically running on fumes for inspiration for my dragon RTD.

What's replacing it? A completely unrelated Sci-fi idea.

What's next, an idea for talking god-badgerpeople in space?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3574 on: March 13, 2012, 03:18:05 pm »

A RtD, based on... uh... Looney Tunes? It wouldn't really matter what the plot was. One player could be a Wile E. Coyote-esque inventor that builds crazy contraptions out of ACME products, another could be a Bugs Bunny-ish wiseguy who screws with people's heads, etc. It wouldn't be much of a stretch, the main cast of the Merrie Melodies shorts are basically an adventurer party already.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: March 13, 2012, 05:15:21 pm »

Hmm, a question for anyone:

In the dragon RTD I'm running, I'm not sure what is going on with me, but I just don't want to do it for some reason.

It's like... well, I don't want to do some actions. When I look at some, I just avoid doing them until the very end. Some days I just don't feel like doing it. Other times, I just hit a wall in what I'm supposed to add.

Is this me getting tired with it? Or perhaps me just lacking inspiration? Too many players? Boring actions from the players? No reason to do the RTD? Maybe I made the RTD too open? Some sort of combination? Or maybe I just can't handle dedication well?
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: March 13, 2012, 05:17:42 pm »

Maybe I made the RTD too open?

Yes.

Also a lack of any plot, for one thing.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: March 13, 2012, 05:21:31 pm »

You're pretty dedicated, but every GM has to experience burnout at one point or another. For me it usually comes when I have too many images on queue like it is now.

If you really want to continue, it might be time to shake things up - not to make the game more fun, but to keep you interested. Introduce a new main baddie. Coordinate the players towards something, maybe. Something like that. It's been difficult to stay motivated (at least for me) when there's no clear goal, which is why the only two games I have left are rife with railroading toward said goal.

Alternately, if you're not sure you can bring yourself to do that, you might want to take a break to gather your thoughts and start a different, less intensive RTD/game as a GM learning experience and breather.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: March 13, 2012, 05:35:09 pm »

Maybe I made the RTD too open?

Yes.

Also a lack of any plot, for one thing.
That was the point of the RTD.

Which I now realize is kinda stupid.

You're pretty dedicated,
I don't feel dedicated enough, but if you say so.

If you really want to continue, it might be time to shake things up - not to make the game more fun, but to keep you interested. Introduce a new main baddie. Coordinate the players towards something, maybe. Something like that. It's been difficult to stay motivated (at least for me) when there's no clear goal, which is why the only two games I have left are rife with railroading toward said goal.
Problem is that it's against the point of the RTD. Going against the point is a very bad idea in my opinion. It's like a government going for free speech and then deciding to limit free speech.

Alternately, if you're not sure you can bring yourself to do that, you might want to take a break to gather your thoughts and start a different, less intensive RTD/game as a GM learning experience and breather.
Thing is that the dragon RTD was supposed to be that. Then it turned out to be my main RTD with complex stuff. ::)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: March 13, 2012, 05:53:01 pm »

I hear ya, Tarran. I'm experiencing some GM fatigue myself. :\ My suggestion is just take a break from it for a bit and then come back to it when you're feeling up to it again.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: March 13, 2012, 05:58:03 pm »

That's not an option with me. If I take a 'break', I end up taking a several-month 'break'. I'm a horrific procrastinator.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: March 13, 2012, 06:02:17 pm »

Heh, me too. ^^^; You could try setting yourself a definite schedule, like 'every Sunday at 7:00 PM I'll run the turn' or something. Developing a routine might help.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: March 13, 2012, 06:07:09 pm »

I already did that. I try to run turns every 5 days if possible.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: March 13, 2012, 06:11:27 pm »

Because I don't have any other advice to offer and no RTD ideas to suggest, I'm just going to quibble with Tarran. :P

A timeframe isn't quite the same thing as a definite point in time. If you try for every five days, you can keep pushing it back until six days slip by before you know it, then seven, etc. Whereas if you set a time, then you can force yourself to sit down then and work on it. I need to do that myself, tbh. :\

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: March 13, 2012, 07:12:11 pm »

Well, I've pretty much decided it. I'll put the game on a "update if I feel like it, if I never feel like it then it's dead" status.

Now a new question: Which would you people prefer the most if I started a new RTD? They are listed in the order I am most interested in, by the way.

Sci-fi RTD, where the story is humanity is allied to a gigantic galactic alliance against a massive, extra-galactic empire seeking to take over the Milky way.
A remake of Westlands with better rules (hopefully).
Or another generic medieval RTD with a brand new story that may not be generic.

Oh, and you may reserve for any amount of the above... as long as you actually did something of notice (a few informative posts, a few ideas spread about) in this thread or you have/had a decently long lasting/not just created this week RTD. And you must also be active (at least 1 post per 2 days, at least recently at that rate) on the forums. I may sound mean for this, but I'm not really interested in the people who post once a week or something like that or just barely registered and decided to join.

Also expect your reservation to wait a while. There's no guarantee I'll start any of the above in a reasonable time frame or at all.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:13:43 pm by Tarran »
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 661