Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702326 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3600 on: March 13, 2012, 09:21:58 pm »

Hero
1. A person, who is admired for courage or noble qualities.
2. The chief character in a book, play, or movie, who is typically identified with good qualities.
3. The protagonist of a book, play, or movie, who the audience identifies with and roots for.

Simply by being the central focus of the story, they are the 'heroes'. Unless they are the villains.

Unavoidable trope of fiction.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: March 13, 2012, 09:23:29 pm »

I never said that. Just that if such a thing needs to be obtained or such a person needs to be assassinated, the leader of the army is likely to hand the assignment to the squad that's clearly got the best track record. Also, calm down a bit. ^^^; I'm not sure if you're mad or not, but you're coming off as overly defensive.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: March 13, 2012, 09:29:36 pm »

Hero
1. A person, who is admired for courage or noble qualities.
2. The chief character in a book, play, or movie, who is typically identified with good qualities.
3. The protagonist of a book, play, or movie, who the audience identifies with and roots for.

Simply by being the central focus of the story, they are the 'heroes'. Unless they are the villains.

Unavoidable trope of fiction.
Well fine, if you want to be technical.

Replace "hero" with "guy who wins everything and kills everybody" in my many posts.

I never said that. Just that if such a thing needs to be obtained or such a person needs to be assassinated, the leader of the army is likely to hand the assignment to the squad that's clearly got the best track record. Also, calm down a bit. ^^^; I'm not sure if you're mad or not, but you're coming off as overly defensive.
What's to say you've got the best track record?

What about those other couple thousand people who are accomplishing things equal or even better than what you're accomplishing?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: March 13, 2012, 09:35:11 pm »

Well we're still gonna win about everything and kill a lot of people (Except in the case of a TPK, but seriously have you ever actually seen that happen, ever?), it's just a matter of scale, I suppose.

Does it even matter anymore? We're just quibbling now. Have you even decided on which setting you're going to do?

Fakeedit: Oh it's the Sci-fi one, I guess?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3604 on: March 13, 2012, 09:46:13 pm »

Really, there doesn't have to be anything special on a grand scale about what the players are accomplishing. Just make sure you make the players feel that they have done something worthwhile. If you're really set on making them as non-special as possible, I'd suggest putting them in a bad situation where the victory condition is the status quo. To use my earlier Alien example, what have the characters gained by the end of the movie? Not dying, and that's about it.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: March 13, 2012, 09:47:21 pm »

Does it even matter anymore? We're just quibbling now. Have you even decided on which setting you're going to do?
Not really. I'm still waiting for everyone to voice their opinions on which one they prefer. As it stands, while I've been thinking of the Sci-fi RTD and did some (small) work on the lore just now, it's a mess so far along with my uncertainty that the universe/plot would be interesting, and the other two aren't the choices I'm extremely interested in but I'm fully willing to do them.

Votes so far are 1 for Sci-fi, 2 for Westlands, and 1 for new medieval fantasy. I think.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:50:32 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: March 13, 2012, 09:52:02 pm »

Would be dark if possible. Chances are everyone will be completely insensitive to the flavor, though. And chances are a dark feel just aren't good for an RTD. But it makes me happy in my various imagine-it-in-my-skull moments at the very least.
Well, depends on the flavor. It definitely has an impact at least some of the time, though, especially when it's backed up by mechanics; "dark" and "high fatality" tend to go well together, for instance, even though they're by no means mutually inclusive.

It's probably true that it's not as good for an RTD, but I'm not sure by how much. I wouldn't avoid doing it just because of that, though.

Replace "hero" with "guy who wins everything and kills everybody" in my many posts.
That sounds like an issue with difficulty, not scale. Immortal God-Kings fighting a desperate, losing battle against waking horrors from beyond the veil of mortal sanity could accomplish this better than faceless mooks on pest extermination duty, for instance.

What about those other couple thousand people who are accomplishing things equal or even better than what you're accomplishing?
Still an issue of isolation/scale, or else it's just not interesting. Nobody's going to want to play a game where you haul boxes from one end of the room to the other unless those boxes are important to them somehow. How many other rooms people are hauling boxes in doesn't necessarily affect that.

Not really. I'm still waiting for everyone to voice their opinions on which one they prefer. As it stands, while I've been thinking of the Sci-fi RTD and did some (small) work on the lore just now, it's a mess so far along with my uncertainty that the universe/plot would be interesting, and the other two aren't the choices I'm extremely interested in but I'm fully willing to do them.
Unless there's space wizards (Jedi, psykers, ghosts, etc) involved, my vote would probably be for another Westlands.

Of course, I'm more concerned with making sure the GM has the inspiration and motivation to make and run the game, since a halfhearted, probably shortlived game to my exact preferences isn't generally as nice as an enthusiastic, long-lived one that's "merely" good.

Would anybody be interested in a RTD where you're a rising gangster in the Prohibition age/era/whateveryouwannacallit? Of course I won't be using Prohibition slang, if I did then everyone would have to look up everything I say. Also, I'm back from my 6-month depression/brooding time, that's why I abandoned my last RTD (Which was a realistic medieval RTD). I'm probably going to do real money calculations, as there were criminal rackets and protection money and some legitimate businesses back then.
Strikes me as the sort of thing where you'd run out of stuff to do rather quickly. First you rough up a shopkeeper, then you assassinate a not-corrupt-enough police officer, then you plant evidence clearing yourself, then you run some hooch from one place to another, then you... er... manage a bar for a little bit? Hire bouncers? Do the exact same things you've been doing but with different targets?

I think it'd either need other factors (supernatural stuff) or a more thorough plot/plot generation system (territory maps/shifting political webs).

Economy:Will probably be sorta like this.

Bare Bones:
Melee= Regular RTD style
Ranged:
1. Roll for aim
2. Roll for bullet trajectory
3.Roll for bullet Lethality(Should I take this one out?)
Not fond of highly uneven numbers like that. What's the difference between $130 and $134? Hell if I know, it's all going in a sack anyway.

I get the feeling you came up with that ranged combat system because it's "realistic" in some sense, not because it's fun, balanced, or easy to run.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: March 13, 2012, 10:04:32 pm »

That sounds like an issue with difficulty, not scale. Immortal God-Kings fighting a desperate, losing battle against waking horrors from beyond the veil of mortal sanity could accomplish this better than faceless mooks on pest extermination duty, for instance.
No, it's scale.

And pest extermination is a very, very poor example of what the fighting would be like.

Still an issue of isolation/scale, or else it's just not interesting. Nobody's going to want to play a game where you haul boxes from one end of the room to the other unless those boxes are important to them somehow. How many other rooms people are hauling boxes in doesn't necessarily affect that.
Once again, poor example. There will be no box hauling.

And yes, those boxes WILL be important. They won't be "Oh lol we win war", but they will be "We made progress against the enemy".
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:08:29 pm by Tarran »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: March 13, 2012, 10:30:40 pm »

Would anybody be interested in a RTD where you're a rising gangster in the Prohibition age/era/whateveryouwannacallit? Of course I won't be using Prohibition slang, if I did then everyone would have to look up everything I say. Also, I'm back from my 6-month depression/brooding time, that's why I abandoned my last RTD (Which was a realistic medieval RTD). I'm probably going to do real money calculations, as there were criminal rackets and protection money and some legitimate businesses back then.

I'd be interested.  There was one that tried to do this style (though not this era.)

I agree in part with what Irony said, though: a shifting "influence" map would add a lot to the game.  It'd be less interesting to know I control three bars and two shops and more interesting to control the Docks and the Old Industrial district.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: March 13, 2012, 11:40:29 pm »

Gimme!  I'll play, that period of history is always interesting. Can I be some kind of corrupt cop shaking hoodlums down for drugs? :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: March 13, 2012, 11:44:00 pm »

Tarran, (this computer has no mouse and is making selecting individual quotes a pain in the ass)the problem is that  if you attempt to create a perfect simulation of reality, you may well succeed.

For instance, continuing in a Sci-Fi vein, if the Big Good gets wind of the Big Bad setting up a BFG that could wipe them out, they will doubtless send their crack team to stop it before all goes horribly wrong. The trouble with that + reality settings on high is that you end up with a situation like this...

"The situation was dire, all life as we knew it hung in the balance, the very soul of the universe was at stake. The stars were black and the moons shone as red as blood, a portent perhaps of the trials to come when humanity made one last effort to save itself from the forces of the scourge.

-Onto mental stage walk four figures-

Now comes players 1,2,3, and 4! A cook, a rifleman, a medic, and a pilot, these brave men and women will be absolutely nowhere near the danger. Yea, even as the plasmic fire of the dying stars shatters across the battlefield of space whilst the best and brightest fight the war for man's salvation, these brave players shall do such intrepid things as eat MRE's, patrol backwater outposts, and attend disciplinary functions for lude behavior!"

In essence it would be like the LOTR from the viewpoint of Gondorian soldier number 7. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Oh man, Boromir is dead, that sucks. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. OH MOTHER  OF  ALL, THE ENDLESS BLACK LEGIONS! Die and Be buried. (I used to be a guard, then I took an arrow to the throat.)

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: March 13, 2012, 11:47:00 pm »

...Goshdarn, strangely enough I find myself wanting to play that. :o
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: March 13, 2012, 11:50:37 pm »

...Goshdarn, strangely enough I find myself wanting to play that. :o

The Sci-Fi blurb or Gondorian soldier #6?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: March 13, 2012, 11:51:08 pm »

Will people stop effing assuming that the players would do absolutely nothing of value and will spend their stuff doing boring stuff? That is simply incorrect.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: March 13, 2012, 11:57:47 pm »

Will people stop effing assuming that the players would do absolutely nothing of value and will spend their stuff doing boring stuff? That is simply incorrect.

Hell I'm actually starting to like the comedic one a bit. 

But honestly, Tarran, 95% of life is the boring stuff. Add that to the fact that you've already stated that players won't be participating in any pivotal events and you end up with a battle that has the same net effect as if the players decided to clean some REALLY deadly latrines.
---
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 661