Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702223 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3900 on: March 30, 2012, 01:48:30 am »

So, would people be interested in a Minecraft themed RTD? It (at least via my current ideas) would end up as a fairly simple RTD, with the main draw being the complete freedom to PvP or PvE as you choose. I'd be playing it fairly by the book, so to speak. So for instance, people's first few actions will probably be related to gathering wood, finding coal,and making a small shelter. Alternatively, I could just start it at the "You've survived your first night" point so players could jump right into more interesting things. The day/night cycle would probably be 3 turns (more/less depending on the various actions), and much like in game, equipment/traps would play a huge role. (For instance, I don't care if you roll perfectly, you aren't finding diamonds without a mine down to bedrock first, and someone unarmed vs diamond equipment has effectively no chance of winning.) Player death would be treated much like it would in the actual game (loss of equipment, respawn at base), and as a side note you could most definitely grief people (Although turnabout is fair play, so when they band together and come after you...)
Sounds good to me. A few issues, though:

You will need actual systems of your own; how Minecraft calculates a player with a stone sword and leather helmet vs a zombie on a cliff is not likely to be something you're going to want to try to emulate perfectly, for instance. I'd also suggest scaling back certain MC features you could emulate but that would be tedious or difficult, like tracking hunger in strange increments or rolling separately for number of logs and saplings harvested from each individual tree.

Secondly, player death sounds awfully weak, and players on the waitlist might not appreciate it. :P I mean sure, losing your equipment can be irritating, but it can also be completely meaningless.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: March 30, 2012, 02:50:49 pm »

Well yeah, I'm not going to bother trying to track hunger or pickaxe durability exactly here. XD

Regarding player death, I think you're right. Although I was visualizing a sort of multi-kill griefing situation with PvP, that wouldn't exactly be enjoyable for the players. Instead I'll run death as normal, though whatever the player built will be left intact for others to steal (or destroy).

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: March 31, 2012, 12:42:12 am »

How about an anime styled RTD? You could choose whether you're a Cowboy Bebop-esque gunslinger, a Fist of the North Star or Dragon Ball style martial artist, or a Gundam-esque mecha pilot.Complete with all the camp, awful grammar and it's balanced because everything is overpowered logic.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: March 31, 2012, 06:23:02 am »

It seems a lot of people want to create Shonen RTD with over-the-top combat these days.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: March 31, 2012, 12:39:26 pm »

Yeah. Blame the otaku. ;D

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: March 31, 2012, 03:56:20 pm »

The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: March 31, 2012, 04:06:44 pm »

I also like anime and manga. Although my tastes for combat are more towards Dark Souls (my first run was without using any magic nor pyromancies, just good ol' steel and rolling around) than Dragon Ball Z, shonen combat can be interesting sometimes. Hence me trying to create School of Badass and struggling with the effort.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 04:08:31 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: March 31, 2012, 04:24:17 pm »

I also like anime and manga. Although my tastes for combat are more towards Dark Souls (my first run was without using any magic nor pyromancies, just good ol' steel and rolling around) than Dragon Ball Z, shonen combat can be interesting sometimes. Hence me trying to create School of Badass and struggling with the effort.
That's probably because it doesn't have any unifying theme other than being Badass, which is almost impossible to pull off without being ridiculous. "A ninja, necromancer, and street fighter walk into a bar" is not a recipe for a seriously-themed, reasonably-powered shonen story.

In belated news, it always pisses me off when I get zero feedback for something. I should probably just start PMing the 2-3 people I'd reasonably be hoping for a response from in the first place. >:(

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: March 31, 2012, 04:30:42 pm »

I would love to give you some advice on what you posted, but I'm just not a mechanics-oriented person. That's why the mechanics in my games are thrown-together at best and often tossed at the curb in favor of narrative.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: March 31, 2012, 04:57:43 pm »

That's probably because it doesn't have any unifying theme other than being Badass, which is almost impossible to pull off without being ridiculous. "A ninja, necromancer, and street fighter walk into a bar" is not a recipe for a seriously-themed, reasonably-powered shonen story.

In belated news, it always pisses me off when I get zero feedback for something. I should probably just start PMing the 2-3 people I'd reasonably be hoping for a response from in the first place. >:(
OH YEAH. About those mechanics? I think you should get put a d10 if you want to make the Exalted-style descriptive posts=+1, unless you want to get people sweating all over the place to make uber-posts, because +1 in a d6 system is essential, and in a d10-based mechanics it is an incentive.
But then again, I guess you may want to go "DESCRIPT COMBAT OR DIE" kind of thing, so stick to d6 and your previous skill system. Also, reserve a spot for me in your RTD :D
Also give me some feedback too. You owe me.
Edit: Did I mention my original intention for School of Badass is that it is supposed to be very light-hearted?
Editedit: Did I also mention I had to scratch that idea and now it's complex and my enthusiasm for it has been blown away?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:04:45 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: March 31, 2012, 05:10:26 pm »

Also, poke. Do you know any work that delves into the Akashic Records? I had a webcomic in the forges about it and I may convert it into a RTD. Arcane Steel, for an instance, is based on an old setting I had been keeping under my wing. Sorry for double-posting >.>
>Yes?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: March 31, 2012, 05:26:46 pm »

OH YEAH. About those mechanics? I think you should get put a d10 if you want to make the Exalted-style descriptive posts=+1, unless you want to get people sweating all over the place to make uber-posts, because +1 in a d6 system is essential, and in a d10-based mechanics it is an incentive.
But then again, I guess you may want to go "DESCRIPT COMBAT OR DIE" kind of thing, so stick to d6 and your previous skill system. Also, reserve a spot for me in your RTD :D
Yeah, I've been thinking about that. Uber-posts wouldn't be required, just anything above "I hit him with my sword" would do. Like "I stab him in the face" or "I swing my sword at his head."

That said, I'd prefer to do it as a penalty for omitting it, it's just that penalties are less effective than rewards at encouraging things.

I did also come up with another idea- make rolling lower than an enemy on an attack cause you to take damage or give said enemy a bonus on their next attack or defense roll against you. Since an even contest in such a system is, on average, just evenly trading hit points, that extra +1 players could always be assumed to have would push it up into making it to their advantage to attack. If faceless mooks couldn't, it would also help explain why they sucked so much.

Unfortunately, I threw that out as too simple and... enclosed, I guess? I didn't like how everything evened out like that.

Also give me some feedback too. You owe me.
On what?

Edit: Did I mention my original intention for School of Badass is that it is supposed to be very light-hearted?
Editedit: Did I also mention I had to scratch that idea and now it's complex and my enthusiasm for it has been blown away?
I think you mentioned that, yeah.
That tends to happen, yeah. :-\

Also, poke. Do you know any work that delves into the Akashic Records? I had a webcomic in the forges about it and I may convert it into a RTD. Arcane Steel, for an instance, is based on an old setting I had been keeping under my wing. Sorry for double-posting >.>
Delves into the Akashic Records, specifically? Afraid not. I know of something that mentions something similar in passing, but it's not gone into or relevant in any way.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: April 03, 2012, 03:19:50 am »

I'm currently working on a RTD that involves spaceships shooting at each other with d20s. Not much of a storyline currently, as it will be pvp. I've got the basic ideas worked out, but I'm not sure how best to handle the logistics of it all. Is there a tool for automating dice rolls? Should I keep a spreadsheet handy? This will be my first RTD, so any tips or advice would be appreciated. :)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: April 03, 2012, 03:27:41 am »

There's dice rolling software all over the place; random.org and the official D&D website come to mind, or dicetools from rptools for something offline.

Generally speaking, if you need a spreadsheet to handle it I'd suggest trying to simplify it. I like to keep a simple player status thingy containing any immediately, commonly needed information, like HP and attack bonuses, sometimes with a second, somewhat more complex one for things I might need to track but not frequently, like inventory.

I then update the quick status one as I'm doing turns and post them in a spoiler at the bottom, while the larger ones are only updated when necessary. Copying and pasting the ones from the previous turn to a notepad file, or just saving it as a notepad file, tends to be easier than messing with alternate tabs or having it lurking around at the bottom of the in-progress turn.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: April 03, 2012, 03:57:57 am »

There's dice rolling software all over the place; random.org and the official D&D website come to mind, or dicetools from rptools for something offline.
I think I'll give dicetools a shot. It'd be handy to have around if I lose my connection.

I like to keep a simple player status thingy containing any immediately, commonly needed information, like HP and attack bonuses, sometimes with a second, somewhat more complex one for things I might need to track but not frequently, like inventory.
That's basically all I need for now. There's no inventory or special abilities yet, so it's just stats.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 661