Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702512 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Your approval fills me with shame glee.

Anyways, I have this idea for an RTD in a literally mundane, contemporary setting. No rockets and lasers, no warlocks and elder terrors.
"But that sounds boring!" I hear you shout. Or maybe it's just the voices in my head.
But the catch is, the players' actions can change that. If they roll incredibly high (or low), they will affect the setting. That can range from "the political outlook of your neighbourhood has become more liberal" all the way to accidentally summoning an eldritch horror because the book you were reading aloud had a critical typo. Maybe one of the characters has had so much exercise during the game that their strength reaches olympic levels. Or the failure at the nuclear power plant has turned the surrounding area into a wasteland, nearly devoid of life. Or the dice rolls are all mediocre, and business as usual. But that would be boring.

Clearly, what this game needs is a Degree of Weirdness mechanic. Basically, every time you roll a 6 or 1 you roll on a Weirdness chart which determines how crazy things are. Let's look at weirdness values for the shoe tying example! Values above 6 or 1 give a bonus to this roll.

1- Extremely Mundane- Normal effects given your result (1's result in pulling out the shoelaces, 6's in making a horribly convoluted-yet-secure knot.)

2- Mundane- Normal effects that are somewhat exaggerated (1's result in falling over in the attempt, 6's in tying your shoes together)

3- Exaggerated- Something weird happens that is nevertheless entirely plausible under normal physics (1's cause you to pull so hard you pull your feet out from under yourself and your shoes pop off too, 6's in tying a Gordian Knot)

4- Strange- Something weird happens that is not readily explainable by normal rules of the universe, though still technically possible given quantum entanglement and other technobabble. Slight reality warping (1's cause your shoelaces to spontaneously combust, 6's cause the shoelaces to physically fuse together)

5- Supernatural- Something weird happens that is basically impossible, significant reality warping (1's cause your shoelaces to explode like a grenade, 6's tie your shoes to that exact point in space and time)

6- Impossible- Something happens for which there is literally no precedent, often completely unrelated to the action being attempted. The universe itself shudders as reality warps (1's cause your shoelaces to come alive and try to murder you, 6's the knot you use happens to conform exactly to the geometric shape of an incomprehensible, non-euclidian Elder Sign that summons a Great Old One to your general location)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Somewhat like that, but 1)with a D8 and 2) Differently.

Pasting from my notepad:
On a roll of 1 or 8, reroll.

1-1 Omnomnom horrorterrors or some other unpossible catastrophe. Major influence on the setting as it can make magic or time travel possible.
1-2 OMG nukular catastrophe. Well, maybe not that much, but a catastrophe of historic importance is likely.
1-3, 1-4 Permanent damage done. Like accidentally killing the president or something.
1-5, 1-6, 1-7 Long-term penalty. Everybody around you hates you. Takes a while until they stop throwing rocks at you.
1-8 Failure with unexpected benefits. (Dr Manhattan lol)
2 FAIL
3 Failure, but maybe salvageable
4 Meh, could be worse
5 Okay, but could be better
6 Adequate success
7 GJ!
8-1 Too awesome to be true. (Hooray, you discovered fire! But you also set your best friend's woman on fire and now he wants to hit you with a rock.)
8-2, 8-3, 8-4 Long-term benefit. The neighbourhood has become more liberal.
8-5, 8-6 Permanent bonus. Your character has worked out so much that his strength has increased!
8-7 Feat of legends. You saved the president from ninjas! You have become a national hero.
8-8 Reality itself is impressed. You become a god.

Note that these are merely examples.

Again, the scale of these effects depends on what exactly you were trying to do, but snake's eyes or a double snowman (or maybe a 1-8 combo) can alter reality itself.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

The players have a 1/64 chance of becoming gods every turn.

Pre-in.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

In.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That was a bit of a hyperbole, but under the right circumstances, with the right actions, yes.

I hope I don't have to remind you what I was planning to do to people who try to pre-in into my games.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That was a bit of a hyperbole, but under the right circumstances, with the right actions, yes.

I hope I don't have to remind you what I was planning to do to people who try to pre-in into my games.
I have a little sister.

TRY ME.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, guys. Don't do it. It's a trap.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now, stats. there are 7: 3 physical ones, 3 mental ones, and health.

-Health is all about withstanding damage. If it drops to 0, the character  passes out and can die if untreated. Mind you that there can be specific damage that can cripple or outright insta-kill your character.  Welp.

-Strength is the first physical stat. The more you have, the more force you can exert. PUUUUSH.

-Endurance is all about long term durability. It allows you to do more intensive work over a longer period. Like running I guess?

-Agility is dexterity, skill, and accuracy all rolled in one, because making them separate stats is tedious.

-Ego is the mental counterpart to strength. While force of personality doesn't directly do anything without psychic powers, it does affect how good you are at affecting people, your dedication and your focus.

-Concentration is mental endurance. Without it, you quickly lose interest in something and often interrupt boring stuff. Paired with a high ego, one can achieve long-term focus at a task.

-Intelligence is the mental opposite to agility because it is how good at mental acrobatics. It also influences how much trivia one knows.

Each stat starts off as one of 7 ranks: Terrible<Bad<Not so good<So-so<Okay<Talented<Professional

There are levels above and below, but those are rare among the populace and represent either severe handicaps or superhuman abilities.

I have a little sister.

TRY ME.
I have one too. Twins. Bring it. :P

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

It's a tarp!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have one too. Twins. Bring it. :P
TWINSISTER-CHUCKS! DO IT.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Twins?

I SURRENDER

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

Remember that episode of Ed Edd 'n' Eddy where they figure out they're in a cartoon, and things get really weird and postmodern? I like the idea of it being something like that: a slowly mounting series of impossible events that snowball into a mess of incomprehensible insanity. The players' final goal is to destroy logic itself, and they start play in a mundane universe. Whenever they manage to do something impossible or out of the ordinary, they open the door for further shenanigans in that vein.

So, say a player is trying to fix their toaster. They get a roll that causes them to turn their toaster into an autonomous robot on accident. If a player had tried to create a self-aware robot on or before that turn, it would have failed because that's impossible in a contemporary, mundane setting. But the toaster turning into a robot has created precedence, and the concept "Robots" is added to the setting. Now players can try and create robots, and it's rolled for normally.

The whole game would be a chain-reaction of weirdness, where players tried to do slightly impossible things to push logic a little further. Each impossible event opens the door for something weirder. In the endgame, players have completely torn apart reality and are doing extremely odd things to assault logic itself!
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

I already know the action I would use at the end of that one.
hehehe

Also fuck yeah e,e&e that was a great show. Is this going to actually be a thing?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile

5: You tie your shoes so well those are the shoes that shall pierce the heavens with lame references from good anime!
Was that meant to be a jab at me by any chance?
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile

This interests me. Pre-in.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:08:38 pm by Spinal_Taper »
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 661